Dj's United

Led Disco Light Effects

LED Disco Lighting Effects - Your Opinions  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The ADJ Express cant be DMX'ed but for £104 from Thomann its not bad.

I think that each unit can be linked and controled via ADJ's basic controller. Enough for most of us.

I wouldn't change to this or the Cougar as I am not prepared to compromise on the brightness of the unit. intend to hold on for a year or so and wait for something brighter.

I think that each unit can be linked and controled via ADJ's basic controller. Enough for most of us.

I wouldn't change to this or the Cougar as I am not prepared to compromise on the brightness of the unit. intend to hold on for a year or so and wait for something brighter.

Same here - love the brightness of the datamoons - they're used at every gig these days (on their own with datacon1 and a pair of par cans on smaller setups). They're easy enough to service - I've given them a fairly good clean (could have done a better job of the gobo wheel in one of them). Have got another pair of datamoons, but one has a faulty dish motor..

Will most likely invest in newer lighting after sound system upgrades, which are next (mixer and active speakers).

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Same here - love the brightness of the datamoons - they're used at every gig these days (on their own with datacon1 and a pair of par cans on smaller setups). They're easy enough to service - I've given them a fairly good clean (could have done a better job of the gobo wheel in one of them). Have got another pair of datamoons, but one has a faulty dish motor..

Will most likely invest in newer lighting after sound system upgrades, which are next (mixer and active speakers).

like i said my only issue with the datamoons is the weight. They are good and i did a 14th not long back in an old village hall which i filled with smoke - they were fantastic, nice sharp beams and the progs were excellent.

Mixer has just died of death this week so thats the priority now and the lights will have to wait til january (new denon dnx500 on its way)

Bit OT but bought my first lazer the other day

http://www.gy3.co.uk/images/stories/green_disco_laser_3.jpg

£20 - bargain.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

After experiencing issues with a generator the other night (power cut, see the other thread on 3-5th december!), I was left with only two LED par cans working and all halogen fixtures were out of action!

:/

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I feel there is a market for a new led datamoon type fixture

light weight with separate colour wheel separate gobo wheel.. but powered by a bright led and maybe even a light weight plastic case.

dj's dont want dots but gobos , dj's want a reliable moonflower but we want long life and light weight , i want a slow moving white love heart program for first dance

come on manufacturers make it !!!!

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

I feel there is a market for a new led datamoon type fixture

light weight with separate colour wheel separate gobo wheel.. but powered by a bright led and maybe even a light weight plastic case.

dj's dont want dots but gobos , dj's want a reliable moonflower but we want long life and light weight , i want a slow moving white love heart program for first dance

come on manufacturers make it !!!!

This is my only critisism, gobos rather than dots would be good. I have a Boogie lamp which looks nice with smoke but as many venues are smoke free the dots look a bit lost unles you can get them on a white wall or ceiling. I have four led par cans dmx linked and they look fantastic. I do like the light weight and low consumption so will be sticking with them. I still use a couple of 250w projectors which seem to compliment the other lamps so they will be staying until somthing as good is on sale.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i have been to have a serious look at both the Acme Cougar (dmx version) and the American DJ Express and can safely say i will not be parting with my hard earned for either right now.

Mike at phase1 kindly allowed me to set up one of my wildtech gogboflowers (loaded with 24v 250w osram lamp) and do a direct a/b and i found the following.

brightness - there is a difference and i would estimate the cougar is about 90% on brightness, the american dj express is approx 80%

gobo patterns - excellent patterns however the mirror is poor quality and of the 3 rings of light only the centre pattern is 100% clear with all the others partially missing, same on both units

spread (beam angle) - over the same distance i would estimate the spread of the patterns being 80%

In the smoke - both the units looked fine from the front but a lot of brightness was lost.

yes they are small lightweight and use very little power as all led fixtures and in small venues (typical pub function rooms/small bars) they would be the perfect solution, as a replacement for Datamoons etc its a definate no for now. shame as i did like the gobos and the control available from the acme ca-8 controller was very sufficient.

A brighter version will appear one day but the cost will put many off.

Well thats my opinion anyway!

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Well i have been to have a serious look at both the Acme Cougar (dmx version) and the American DJ Express and can safely say i will not be parting with my hard earned for either right now.

Mike at phase1 kindly allowed me to set up one of my wildtech gogboflowers (loaded with 24v 250w osram lamp) and do a direct a/b and i found the following.

brightness - there is a difference and i would estimate the cougar is about 90% on brightness, the american dj express is approx 80%

gobo patterns - excellent patterns however the mirror is poor quality and of the 3 rings of light only the centre pattern is 100% clear with all the others partially missing, same on both units

spread (beam angle) - over the same distance i would estimate the spread of the patterns being 80%

In the smoke - both the units looked fine from the front but a lot of brightness was lost.

yes they are small lightweight and use very little power as all led fixtures and in small venues (typical pub function rooms/small bars) they would be the perfect solution, as a replacement for Datamoons etc its a definate no for now. shame as i did like the gobos and the control available from the acme ca-8 controller was very sufficient.

A brighter version will appear one day but the cost will put many off.

Well thats my opinion anyway!

Dave

wow thats an awesome review , thats the sort of stuff we dj's need to know .

I really appreciate your time and effort writing such a piece , saves me doing the same bit of research

my search for a quality gobo led moonflower carries on

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

wow thats an awesome review , thats the sort of stuff we dj's need to know .

I really appreciate your time and effort writing such a piece , saves me doing the same bit of research

my search for a quality gobo led moonflower carries on

No bother Rob, im off work until next tuesday (finished 17th dec) and needed something to do. watching all these things on youtube etc is ok but you really do need to see them in the flesh/metal/plastic. Thats what i love about phase1, a mass of lights setup ready to demo and he is 20 mins away. The Tig makes a half decent cupaa too.

i think we will all be waiting a while and when they do arrive be prepared to dig deep, until then keep weightlifiting with the traditionals.

Dave

Edited by MintyDave

True dat!! So many non-motorised LED effects that simply don't do enough; I want my effects to rotate and move around - even if it's just a goboflower effect. The likes of little LED moonflowers and the revo effects don't cut it for me :lame:

I would suggest that brightness needs to be significantly improved. I was (and sort of still am) contemplating swapping out my iMove 5S HID heads for some compact lightweight LED heads, like the X-Move LED Plus heads from ADJ.

What's putting me off is that at 4m my HID heads can throw 2650 lux, whereas the 10w LED will put out a poor 280 lux. Massive, and probably a very very noticeable difference.

Of the 6 fixtures I currently take out, 4 of them are LED. But I reckon it'll stay that way until LEDs get brighter and closer to the true output of halogen and discharge effects.