Dj's United

Acme Impossiled 'playing Up'

Morning all!

I have just got home from a gig and whilst doing it I noticed that my Acme impossiled has developed a rather annoying fault!

When I have it on two of the rings of blue leds have areas missing! possibly due to blown leds. It only appears to be on the blue rings as when it have it set on program three, all the other single colour rings that are produced are complete it's just the blues that are not :damn:

So is anyone else having similar issuses and as these leds are supposed to last for 50,000hrs+ could there be any recourse back to the manufacturer for repair even though I have had the light for just short of two years, but even so with only 8766 hours in a year even if I had had it switched on continuously since purchase it would only amount to 17,532 hrs leaving me 32,468 to spare or another 3.7 years of continuous usage :joe:

Been a quite night with plenty of waiting around to work this out by the way!

So I would be interested to hear anyones thoughts or suggestions as to their opinions.

Regards

David

It's quite possibly due to dry solder joints, rather than blown LED's.

They're usually wired in series together (usually in groups of 3), so you'll always see more than one LED off if one did pack up, or was caused by a dry solder joint somewhere.

Below is how they may be typically wired: - first 3 LEDs and a resistor:-

------[===]-------O----O----O------

Sometimes you may see them wired in two sets of 3 with one resistor for both groups (reduces component count and therefore reduces cost to manufacture):-

|---O----O----O---|
----+                 +------[===]-------
    |---O----O----O---|

Depending how the PCB is wired, it should be possible to trace the tracks, and find the culprit and fix, however most probably wouldn't bother... (I did this on a PAR can before I sold it - resoldered all the LEDs/resistor where they were dim/not working very well and fixed it)

Cheers,

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Been a quite night with plenty of waiting around to work this out by the way!

Thanks David I shall take a look during the week, and as for my typing I meant it was a quiet night not a quite night! :wacko:

Damn spill chooker woz nit wicking prooperlie innit! :joe: