Dj's United

Where To Get Your Music From?

I do voluntree work for a school, all i do is play music from my laptop i was wondering what is the best way to build up your music libary. Where do you download your music from. and whatb programmes do you use to organise your music.#

any help would be greatly appreciated

If you use a laptop for music playback, then you may want to research the Pro-Dub license.

http://www.produb.co.uk

Using music which has been converted from Vinyl or Cd to digital format requires the purchase of a Pro-Dub license to remain on the right side of the law. There may be a concession if your work is related to Educational establishments, is charitable or voluntary, but sadly i've never heard of one being granted, but its worth taking that question to them and ask.

However if your music is downloaded from legal downloaded sources and kept in its original downloaded format, then no Pro-Dub is required. Equally if you buy (or get donated) CD's and use them in their original format via a CD player, than the Pro-Dub requirement doesn't apply either.

You can find suggestions for sources of legal downloadable music here:-

http://www.djsite.info/idx/0/039/article/L...d-Websites.html

Mastermix:- http://www.mastermixdigital.com/ is one of the more popular for DJ type collection material

As Said Above, A Licence Is Required To stop the police from being able to Take your Laptop & Music And put fines towards you.

But The Best Software To be honest I have found to Organise music, is iTunes....

And to Play It, Well Serato, VDJ, Tracktor, Are the main 3. And To Get hold of music, Well Beatport, iTunes' and even Amazon do mp3's for 29pence...

Stewart,

I was in a similar position last year needing to massively increase my music collection after getting back into DJing. In the end, after a lot of shopping around I went down the route of buying CD's from Amazon Marketplace. Ive bought litterally hundreds and now have abour 15,000 tracks in total. Many CD's start from 1p (+£1.24 for postage).

Depending on what you want, I would start with the Now series as this will help you cover a lot of ground. Then I bought by era, 50's hits, Best 60's, Fantastic 80's etc. Then finally bought CD's by artist to cover the tunes that are not on compitations, Beatles, Stones, Madonna etc.

I only download if it is something fairly obscure that is not easy to buy on CD. Last download I bought was Cupid Shuffle!

Iim old fashioned in that I prefer to buy an actual CD where possible, and often it works out cheaper than the download anyway!

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Mark.

Celebration Sounds Mobile Disco

www.celebrationsounds.co.uk

mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk

07825 641 090

I echo all that's been said above. A fast way to build up a CD collection is the 100/101/what have you sets of various genres. Usually at least 100 tracks for around a fiver.

Buying other ones s/h on Amazon can be a good way also. For organising MP3's I've found Media Monkey to be versatile, user friendly, and reliable. The bells and whistle version costs around £15, but the free version is good. It doubles as a playout system, but only from one deck.

Edited by Excalibur
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am in the USA so I am not sure the UK will be the same, but I prefer both "Rhapsody" and "Amazon downloads" to ITunes. I pay a subscription for Rhapsody and then .99c per song. With Amazon downloads there is no subscription and it’s between .79c and .99c per song. (Not sure why I still pay for Rhapsody). The advantages for me is that both Rhapsody and Amazon downloads are MP3 files, much more convenient than the ITunes File type.

I also get CD’s from the Amazon used CD marketplace. I stick to “Good Quality” or better and I have never been disappointed. Like Markyb says, I have purchased CD’s for .01c (Plus P&P)

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

I am in the USA so I am not sure the UK will be the same, but I prefer both "Rhapsody" and "Amazon downloads" to ITunes. I pay a subscription for Rhapsody and then .99c per song. With Amazon downloads there is no subscription and it’s between .79c and .99c per song. (Not sure why I still pay for Rhapsody). The advantages for me is that both Rhapsody and Amazon downloads are MP3 files, much more convenient than the ITunes File type.

I also get CD’s from the Amazon used CD marketplace. I stick to “Good Quality” or better and I have never been disappointed. Like Markyb says, I have purchased CD’s for .01c (Plus P&P)

I'm not sure if you're aware, but at the moment, we can only download from Amazon in our own countries, ie we in the UK can't download from Amazon.com. ( But can buy physical CD's.Work that out! ) annoying to say the least. I agree that Amazon is fine, and better than Itunes, but 7digital often has higher quality available.

Edited by Excalibur

I'm not sure if you're aware, but at the moment, we can only download from Amazon in our own countries, ie we in the UK can't download from Amazon.com. ( But can buy physical CD's.Work that out! ) annoying to say the least.

I was not aware of that, not only annoying, but it’s also unbelievable.

I have never believed in file sharing, nor would I ever encourage it, (especially by professional DJs who are played to play). I would get very upset if my clients used my services and did not pay. I would also be out of business very quickly. But the recording industry in the UK must realize, that making it difficult to purchase music, only encourages people to get it in other ways.

We entered the digital age in the last century. I would be interested to know what percentage of today’s teenagers own a CD player, but I bet every one of them has an Ipod, or Smart phone with an MP3 player. Time for the recording industry to wake up and join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

• 2 weeks later...

Being of the age where I've lived through most decades from the 70's onwards I have most stuff on vinyl/CD & mp3.

I have to admit like 1 of the other guys said I prefer an actual physical CD to just a download but if I have to download I use Amazon.

1 thing I do recommend if you only use a laptop is back up your entire music library onto a portable hardrive they are quite cheap these days.

1 thing I do recommend if you only use a laptop is back up your entire music library onto a portable hardrive they are quite cheap these days.

I second that, BACK IT UP. If you are downloading music and lose the MP3’s, you’ll have to buy them again (expensive lesion). But even if you are burning your CD collection, and still have the music, there is a lot of time invested. I had a notebook crash and fry its hard drive; fortunately I did have everything backed up. It was a hassle reloading, but at least I still had everything. At the moment I have about 18,500 tracks and always carry a back-up hard drive to gigs.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

And if you're using an external HDD,. and on Windows, download SyncToy and keep your directory syncronised regularly..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...;displaylang=en

I've got sync's setup for laptop to HD2500 internal disc, external HDD, and my home file server... You can never be too careful I guess... :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

• 2 years later...

Obviously a little (a lot) biased here, but I'd wholly recommend subscribing to a legitimate music pool.

Often the 'pools will offer many different discs in varying styles on a regular monthly basis, whilst providing affordable back catalog and themed 'collections'.

Just my 2¢ :nbow: