Dj's United

Shall I or shan't I ???

Well there's lots of snow outside and I have a gig tonight.

Not quite sure if I can make it there and with -8 forecast tonight even less certain if I can make it back.

I can either give it a go or try to cancel.

I will probably ring the client today but there's the risk thay they won't cancel on me because they don't want to lose their deposit, and wait and see if I cancel. Not bothered about the money frankly.

What would you guys do??

:joe:

Shall I or shan't I ???

Well there's lots of snow outside and I have a gig tonight.

Not quite sure if I can make it there and with -8 forecast tonight even less certain if I can make it back.

I can either give it a go or try to cancel.

I will probably ring the client today but there's the risk thay they won't cancel on me because they don't want to lose their deposit, and wait and see if I cancel. Not bothered about the money frankly.

What would you guys do??

:joe:

Not worth killing yourself for a few quid. Ring the client and seek agreement

mine has just postponed for tonight, they still want me to do it but next yr

I've had tonight's gig postponed. Its only a few miles away, but they're worried about guests getting in - I should be able to get there, but understand their concern.

As they've got all the food+drink (its a kids party), they've re-booked for the 8th.

From my end, I've agreed the same rate, and the date has changed (so I'm not asking for a 2nd booking fee).

I'm hoping tomorrows gig is not cancelled...!

If you are driving, pack munchies, drinks and blankets! I spent the night on the M11 years ago, and it was pretty horrible (but I had stocked up just before the road was blocked).

I've had tonight's gig postponed. Its only a few miles away, but they're worried about guests getting in - I should be able to get there, but understand their concern.

As they've got all the food+drink (its a kids party), they've re-booked for the 8th.

From my end, I've agreed the same rate, and the date has changed (so I'm not asking for a 2nd booking fee).

I'm hoping tomorrows gig is not cancelled...!

If you are driving, pack munchies, drinks and blankets! I spent the night on the M11 years ago, and it was pretty horrible (but I had stocked up just before the road was blocked).

Ah yes the M11. One flake of snow and it closes :wall:

Best money I have spent this year was on spare set of wheels, then 4 continental winter van tyres, Amazing differance in the snow and ice, while a Tesco van was sliding about on a hill, my powervan went sailing on up the hill no trouble, made the gigs and spent weekend at the hotel. Sweet. Working tonght oh yes.

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

Snow / Cold Weather tyres are great, its just that with an average of 15 years' history of Mild Winters behind us that drivers felt that spending £500+ on an additional set of tyres was a bit too much for the 5 days of the year that it actually snowed. Cold Season tyres are much softer rubber compound and so also wear frighteningly quickly at running temperatures above 7c / 8c - which in the UK can also be reached for long stretches of milder Winter days. Meaning more hassle from regular swapping and changing over of all 4 tyres.

Its only the last 2 years that UK Winters have been especially harsh, and any real lying snow has lasted more than 24 hours in lowland city and town based areas.

A good alternative to spending £100's on extra Tyres - throwing a pair of these into your boot for Emergency use can work out a lot cheaper, as well as get you home during an unexpected Blizzard.

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

They work just as well as snow chains, but are about 20 times quicker and easier to fit, without needing a degree from the Krypton Factor and losing the skin off your knuckles to do it. Simply pull the elastic 'sock' over the drive wheels and drive off, with loads more traction and more stability, as the fabric acts like velcro and actually 'sticks' to the snow.

In common with more expensive and cumbersome snow chains, They are an emergency 'get you home' device, as opposed to something which you can fit and forget. However if you encounter a snow covered minor road, or can't quite get up that ungritted hill or off that snow covered village hall car park, then they will justify themselves again and again and will last for ages, and literally take less than 1 minute per wheel to fit and 20 seconds to remove again once you reach tarmac.

Of course, whether you have a 4x4, Winter Tyres, Snow Socks etc, is immaterial and won't make the blindest bit of difference if several people are already stuck in front of you, or the motorway is congested or there is black ice on large stretches of untreated roads ahead of you, and this is where either significant extra time for your journey is required, or excercise the Bad weather clause in your contract. Returning a clients' deposit and losing a booking fee, is always better than smashing up your car and equipment and possibly even yourself.

We have had about 4" of snow in welwyn garden city but luckily I have now completed all my Christmas gigs now until the 2nd January, so can sit indoors and look out at it :photo:

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Took me nearly 3 Hours to get to my gig last nite....should only take about 50mins :angry:

The M25 was a nitemare, cars and lorrys all over the place :wall:

Got there just in time although missing a few guests who did not make it

Had to do it because i had left my gear set up there from last nite :xmas:

http://thatsentertainment.webeden.co.uk

Dj's and Discos for all your needs

PLI & PAT covered

Est. 1988

Yes , I realise it does not snow all the time, but these are Continetal Vanco 2 Winter Tyres, not as soft as snow tyres, can use in any conditions 7 degees and under ideal but also above 7 degrees as well, so even a frosty morning or wet roads. I bought wheels as well (inc in the £500) so all I have to do is swap them over. With £1000 of gigs to do this week well worth the investment and saftey. I did 60 miles today much on ungrited B roads today.

Contin Vanco winter2

Last winter on an icey day my van jack knifed and I ended up looking at the hedge up close.

Edited by Swingcats

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757