Dj's United

Mass Storage Players

In the New Year i think it's time to ditch the CDs and go to a storage player of some kind. I've tried using a laptop and it's not for me so i was thinking of something like the Numark DDS or one of the Cortex units and just wondered if anybody uses these and how they get on with them or have any other suggestions before i go and spend my hard earned cash!

Thanks.

I used a cortex HD1000 for about a year and it was really good, easy to find tracks and easy to operate, very similar to twin CD players, you do need a pc to store the database on ( does not need to go to the gig with you) It is now my back up unit as I have upgraded to pioneer. Worth looking at the pioneer kit if you have the cash as they are way above anything else on the Market IMHO.

Stay clear of the American DJ standalone media players, I have one and they work well.....but finding tracks is a nightmare

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

I'm on DDS, and have been using it for about 2 years.

Build-wise, its fine. The display is clear and easy to read. The Denon based system that was out at the time only had a low-res 2-colour display, whereas this looked to be far better.

Finding tracks is easy (but as with all devices, will rely on them being correctly tagged) you can also simply navigate the file system (so folders/sub folders)

You should get a powered USB HDD, so don't try to use a USB powered 2.5" drive, unless you get a powered USB Hub - the DDS will struggle to power a 2.5" Drive itself.

I will assume a SSD (solid state drive) would be fine.

Playback wise, you can pitch the track up and down, and apply pitch lock. You can also loop. For me, I normally slow the track right down to allow me to get better start and end points for loops.

Sadly, there are no onboard effects (like the Denon systems have) and no cue points (so you can't jump around tracks)

You are also unable to filter search results by BPM, which is a shame (this info is stored in the database)

As with many of the devices, you'll need to run a PC software to analyse your music. The DDS software does take a long time (but has a few options with varying levels of analysis). If you do get one, and have 5000-10,000 tracks, be prepared to leave it running overnight..!

A PC based system will be much more flexibile (as the expense of some reliability), so getting a good USB controller (IE RMX etc) to give you a sensible control surface, and VirtualDJ/Serato/etc software, will give you a good system.

Over the last 2 years, I've only seen 1 problem; The DDS was being used on an ourside party, and during one song, it started to j j j j j jump (in a fast loop). I can't explain what happened, and it's not done it again during any other gigs, or home use.

Numark had a firmware update a few months after that, so it may have been fixed then.

I hope this helps,

Jason

The Numark DDS is the uprated version of the D2 Director.

I have two of the D2 Director units and have found them excellent.

Apart from Numark and Cortex the only other manufacturer I'm aware of offering a unit with a library search facility is DJ-Tech.

The Numark DDS is the uprated version of the D2 Director.

I have two of the D2 Director units and have found them excellent.

Apart from Numark and Cortex the only other manufacturer I'm aware of offering a unit with a library search facility is DJ-Tech.

Doesn't the Denon (sorry, can't think of the model) system(s) also have this? I remember "Denon Gary" demoing this when I first joined the forum.

From my end, I'm considering taking a sideways step and looking at ADJ VMS4/Hercules RMX, no problems with the DDS -but I want better control of mixing, and also may be offering Karaoke in 2011.

Doesn't the Denon (sorry, can't think of the model) system(s) also have this? I remember "Denon Gary" demoing this when I first joined the forum.

Yes. But I thought that was already under consideration so I didn't mention it. Looking back I realised it wasn't!

One reason why I bought the D2 was the price (a lot less than the Denon), my preference for a standalone hard drive and the fact that it would be upgraded to master tempo etc. The lack of hot starts and cue points is not a problem since 99.99% of my work is weddings.

The Denon has effects too, if I remember correctly, but is now discontinued ( I wonder why - was it poor take-up?) However these can be added to a DDS (or D2) by acquiring a 1U effects unit.

Edited by spinner

Yes. But I thought that was already under consideration so I didn't mention it. Looking back I realised it wasn't!

One reason why I bought the D2 was the price (a lot less than the Denon), my preference for a standalone hard drive and the fact that it would be upgraded to master tempo etc. The lack of hot starts and cue points is not a problem since 99.99% of my work is weddings.

The Denon has effects too, if I remember correctly, but is now discontinued ( I wonder why - was it poor take-up?) However these can be added to a DDS (or D2) by acquiring a 1U effects unit.

Denon still has a unit available.

Dont forget the Pioneer

But both of these are quite Expensive.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Denon still has a unit available.

Certainly it is available from retailers with stock. Lowest price is around £610. However others are showing it as discontinued .

This was confirmed around 6 months ago by the brand manager, Silvio Zeppieri, on another forum.

Suggested alternatives are the HC4500 and HC5000 although I'm not sure that these are mass storage players. I think they're designed to be used with a laptop.

Edited by spinner

HD2500 was discontinued some time ago iirc - there haven't been any firmware updates for the unit since version 1400 - which I think was beginning of 2009

I've got an HD2500 - and I've got a 120gig HDD to put in it at some point (since only has a measly 40 gig to start off with).

Its not a bad unit - you can get s/h for less than 400 notes (I paid 370 for mine) - Although I now use it mostly as a MIDI controller (bit of a waste really) for Traktor.. Its made my DJing feel a lot more like err DJing, as I'm physically hitting a play button now - and its a lot more controlled/timed better for me).

the HC4500 is a Midi controller only. The HC5000 is designed for Serato. The HC6000 is an all-in-one controller & mixer and just came out a couple of weeks ago. All of these are current models.

The HD2500 and HC4500 but can also accept the DN-D4500 CD drawers (can be bought separately as BU-4500). Also works with the drawers from the DN-D4000 unit too (pitch control not quite as good).

Cheers,

David - I really want an HC4500 & X500/X900 mixer now :)

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

what other options are available for 19" rack hdd/midi control. I use laptop with cd backup but want to reduce the weight and trips to the van whilst maintaining 2 playback options

I curently have an old kam twin cd kit in a 252 case with the dnx500 with the laptop sat inside the upturned case lid and i was going to add a controller of some description but as space is limited on the 4' stand was not sure how i was going to do this.

i thought the hd2500 would be the ultimate solution but im very wary of relying on one device. if the hd2500 died i would be without playback, saying that i could go back to mouse control and make sure i have a seperate soundcard wired up so it would be a quick switch over on the dnx500. and they are expensive

ideally i would like a 2u midi controller and 2u media player as backup all of which would drop in an 8u case with the mixer.

I do very little in the way of 'on the fly' creative mixing other than simple beat matching so complex functions are not required

cost wise the hd2500 is just short of £700 and hc4500 £400 with a media player coming in at around £200

thats a saving of nearly £100. - enough for a case.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

what other options are available for 19" rack hdd/midi control. I use laptop with cd backup but want to reduce the weight and trips to the van whilst maintaining 2 playback options

I curently have an old kam twin cd kit in a 252 case with the dnx500 with the laptop sat inside the upturned case lid and i was going to add a controller of some description but as space is limited on the 4' stand was not sure how i was going to do this.

i thought the hd2500 would be the ultimate solution but im very wary of relying on one device. if the hd2500 died i would be without playback, saying that i could go back to mouse control and make sure i have a seperate soundcard wired up so it would be a quick switch over on the dnx500. and they are expensive

ideally i would like a 2u midi controller and 2u media player as backup all of which would drop in an 8u case with the mixer.

I do very little in the way of 'on the fly' creative mixing other than simple beat matching so complex functions are not required

cost wise the hd2500 is just short of £700 and hc4500 £400 with a media player coming in at around £200

thats a saving of nearly £100. - enough for a case.

I've defected to the dark side and now have a VMS4;

http://www.rsdmusic.com/products.asp?prodi...&mcatid=163

Sadly, its NOT 19" wide... Should not be a problem for me - but my deck stand was designed for 2 x 19" cases.

So, the laptop will be

The DDS is a fine player, and I will keep it as my primary back-up. However, with 2011 plans including Karaoke (and slowing increasing music videos from MixMash), it made sense to go back to PC based playback.

For weddings and most parties, the DDS (and D2) are fine - stable and easy to use (with a good search facility).

I guess this does mean I can start posting in the "playlists" section again!

I've defected to the dark side and now have a VMS4;

http://www.rsdmusic.com/products.asp?prodi...&mcatid=163

Sadly, its NOT 19" wide... Should not be a problem for me - but my deck stand was designed for 2 x 19" cases.

So, the laptop will be

The DDS is a fine player, and I will keep it as my primary back-up. However, with 2011 plans including Karaoke (and slowing increasing music videos from MixMash), it made sense to go back to PC based playback.

For weddings and most parties, the DDS (and D2) are fine - stable and easy to use (with a good search facility).

I guess this does mean I can start posting in the "playlists" section again!

Joining the new millenium at long last Jas! my gripe with products like the vms4 is too many eggs in one basket and to use something like would mean my laptop would have to go on a stand making it too vulernable. I can get 2 19" rack units side by side with room for a mouse so there is room. also its 2 flight cases to lug in.

do you use the mixer on the vms4 or can/do you route to an external mixer? I have just upgraded to a denon dnx500 and love it. last thing i would want to do is bypass this.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I was surprised to learn from the above that Denon have a controller which integrates with Laptop / PC based equipment. I remember one Denon representative once locking horns on a regular basis with various Laptop / PC users on forums some years ago, and pouring scorn on their choice of media playout. Now Denon actively appear to be embracing the same technology and offering PC based compatibility from some of their products :D ?. How times change.

Do any of these media players offer the facility to use a standard Keyboard to assist with music searching?

Funny how different gear works for different folk!

The best thing i ever did was to go back to Laptop and a good controller/Mixer - Placed flat on a shelf and having full control of mixing/effects.

I used the Denon & the Pioneer HD Controllers for around 8 months and in hindsight i felt like a spare part just pressing buttons.

I have used a Korg Zero 4 along with my laptop for the last 7 months - Great combination that works for me.

Happy New Year.

oohh

I was surprised to learn from the above that Denon have a controller which integrates with Laptop / PC based equipment. I remember one Denon representative once locking horns on a regular basis with various Laptop / PC users on forums some years ago, and pouring scorn on their choice of media playout. Now Denon actively appear to be embracing the same technology and offering PC based compatibility from some of their products :D ?. How times change.

Do any of these media players offer the facility to use a standard Keyboard to assist with music searching?

The HC4500 and HC5000 are USB MIDI controllers. The 4500 will work with a number of software products. The 5000 is dedicated to Serato Itch.

I guess any searching would be done on the laptop needed to go with either model.

im thinking of getting one of these numark dds instead of going to laptop.

i am using a dual cd player and mixer which i have done for years. but bought a numark total control mixer and numark cue software to go with it but never got around to using it once as my laptop is rubbish and i will need to buy a new one before anything. i dont quite trust laptops as i have seen a few peoples freezing and switching off.

should i go with the dds or the numark total control

I have the Cortex 1000 and the d2 .

Cortex is good.

how ever the d2 for my use is great.

both will let you make playlists, but d2 you can use the crate to put the mp3's in as you think of them .

is there a way to type in the song or artist into the search facility

are you using both these at the same time

all that is needed with these is an external hard drive an amp and speakers right

all that is needed with these is an external hard drive an amp and speakers right

is there a way to type in the song or artist into the search facility

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Not wishing to labour the point, but Yes.

Please see above

This applies to the D2. Just so long as the information is on the hard drive in the correct form, you can search by artiste, by title etc. or even by parts of either.

If you go to the Numark website you can download the D2 user manual where you'll find the answers to many questions.

Edited by spinner

cheers again

im also looking at the numark idj2 is that any good. can it be used the same way. only recently i have stumbled across this type of player. i would like to downsize so i dont have to carry so many cd's and big mixing desk.

The IDJ2 is designed for use with an iPod as the source of mp3s.

It will also read mp3 CDs and DVDs from a connected USB DVD-ROM drive.

It uses the same library system as the D2 (possibly the uprated version used by the DDS) and allows searching via a keyboard.

It can be used with an external hard drive or thumb drives.

However, because it's an all-in-one unit, if the mixer section packs up you're stuffed.

Better, IMO, to have a separate contoller and separate mixer.

Go to the Numark website where you'll find full details.

Edited by spinner

The Cortex HDC 3000 is also worth a look.

Although it doesn't have the "crate" facility or come with a keyboard, it appears as well specified as the Denon having, apart from master tempo/key lock and seamless looping, cue points, hot starts, onboard effects, 5 USB sockets and is around £80 less than the DDS.