Dj's United

Mass Storage Players

i like the sound of the crate facility and the keyboard on the dds, i think this is worth the extra money.

is anyone on here selling one

selling my numark total control when i can be bothered putting it up for sale as i have never used it other than once or twice for 2 minutes in the house

The HD2500 also will work with a keyboard for searching stuff...

vokf: The ADJ VMS4? The mic input is supposed to be quite naff (so I read), and the audio quality was supposed to be questionable (distorting a bit).

There would be only one all-in-one unit I'd go for (laptop midi controller & mixer), and that would be the Denon HC6000... :) It's the only one that has EQ on the mic input(s)... !

Today I met a friend who gave me his old 120 gig HDD, so I'm going to be installing that in the HD2500 soon-ish - that will give me enough space for about 14000 tracks in all (I'm on 90-or-so-gb with 11.5k tracks).

This year (its 2011, hurrah!), I want to replace the old Omnitronic Ozone CM740 blue mixer with a DNX500/900, have an HC4500 for midi control and the HD2500 as a backup unit... Should just about fit in 10u space on the top. In the front I want a pair of CD drawers for the odd occassion where they're needed, and some sorta dcx2496 or equivalent (to replace the current cx2310 - which is a pain when I go from 2 tops to 2 tops and a sub!).

Not asking for much am I? :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

vokf: The ADJ VMS4? The mic input is supposed to be quite naff (so I read), and the audio quality was supposed to be questionable (distorting a bit).

There would be only one all-in-one unit I'd go for (laptop midi controller & mixer), and that would be the Denon HC6000... :) It's the only one that has EQ on the mic input(s)... !

Today I met a friend who gave me his old 120 gig HDD, so I'm going to be installing that in the HD2500 soon-ish - that will give me enough space for about 14000 tracks in all (I'm on 90-or-so-gb with 11.5k tracks).

This year (its 2011, hurrah!), I want to replace the old Omnitronic Ozone CM740 blue mixer with a DNX500/900, have an HC4500 for midi control and the HD2500 as a backup unit... Should just about fit in 10u space on the top. In the front I want a pair of CD drawers for the odd occassion where they're needed, and some sorta dcx2496 or equivalent (to replace the current cx2310 - which is a pain when I go from 2 tops to 2 tops and a sub!).

Not asking for much am I? :)

Cheers,

David

So you have the lottery numbers then eh! do share!!!

is the midi control on the 2500 no good? I want to bypass cd's altogether and i would want keyboard search on a media player which narrow my options to the cortex as the numark D2 is hard to get hold of now. Why the speaker management unit - does it make that much difference

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

As I thinking about entering the digital age I am totally confused.

Don't really want to go down the PC route (I Think except for the Radio work) & i have been looking at the mass storage players but.....

I Like Denon / Pioneer but I want to have a play before I make a decision to what to buy. The Cortex has come up quite a bit but... does it double up as a CAD player?

I have been going round in circles Jason has been a big help but ripping my collection is going to take at the present rate approx 6 - 7 years. I have had problems with tagging as out of the first 18 CDs i tried to rip 11 had the wrong listing for tracks. I am still not sure this is the way forward but 2 steps back.

I have over 20,000 tracks to convert from CD then there is the 12" singles and Albums on good old vinyl which stands at about 2500 tracks that I haven't got on CD.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

the numark D2 is hard to get hold of now.

But not the DDS, which is the enhanced, direct replacement for it.

The DDS comes with a dedicated keyboard. The Cortex HDC300 doesn't - you'd have to buy one.

The Cortex has hot starts, effects and cue points. The DDS doesn't.

But not the DDS, which is the enhanced, direct replacement for it.

The DDS comes with a dedicated keyboard. The Cortex HDC300 doesn't - you'd have to buy one.

The Cortex has hot starts, effects and cue points. The DDS doesn't.

With the DDS being about £400 and the cortex for less than £300, with all its features, it makes you wonder where the comprimise comes in. I see cortex is dissapearing from many retailer websites which is a concerne. I know my local store used to stock 3 variations but has none now.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I didn't know the HDC 3000 was available at such a low price.

I wonder why?

The usual reasons for such low prices are either an item was priced too high to start with and has had to be reduced (in other words it wasn't selling) or it's about to be discontinued.

The range of hard drive controllers available does seem to be reducing.

The DJ-Tech Pro U2 has onboard effects and an intelligent database facility but only 2 USB inputs, both on the fascia panel and no mention of a keyboard facility.

The usual reasons for such low prices are either an item was priced too high to start with and has had to be reduced (in other words it wasn't selling) or it's about to be discontinued.

Everything is overpriced in the UK, especially Disco Equipment. For example, the QSC K12's which I was interested in some months ago are only £516 each in the U.S

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6162...2_Way_1000.html

and occasionally cheaper if you shop around.

Compared to £740 each from Thomann and various UK high street dealers.

I suspect that due to so many DJ's and Entertainers going out of business and the subsequent glut of second hand equipment appearing as a result, that DJ's simply aren't buying new equipment in the quantities they used to. Only yesterday we had a former retailer turn up on the forum and declare they had changed their business model, because they hadn't made a profit for 5 years.

As a result and in order to spark interest, dealers are slashing their margins, I reckon this is why prices are being reduced in some areas, not to mention increased competition and the fact that Chinese manufacturing output is on the up, which is where all of this stuff comes from.

Prices will probably go up again tomorrow, when VAT increases :rolleyes: . So if you are going to make a major purchase, i'd do it before midnight.

Everything is overpriced in the UK, especially Disco Equipment. For example, the QSC K12's which I was interested in some months ago are only £516 each in the U.S

Yes. Example - £399 here or $399 in US.

Yes, mic input is nasty- incorrect impedance.. They have addressed this, but my version does not have the fix..

Audio output was fine NYE and NY Day gigs, the only problem I have is with Mic input. Interestingly, a budget "spare" mic (£10) worked better than my main mic. I'm in their forums, so are aware of the issue.

Other than that- its a very very nice, feels better than the RMX... Once the mic issue is fixed (I'll be calling my supplier on Tues), I'll be using the DDS as backup, its cased, with mixer, so a drop-in replacement.

I'll try to run a sound comparison between the DDS, and this - I certainly couldn't hear any audio problems when it was up at high-levels, but will check.

I've actually been playing with Mixxx (Linux based DJ software), its much better on a controller... but yet to get the mapping 100%

I guess my main gripe with the DDS is the librarian, and that it doesn't work well over partitioned drives- the DDS will see the partitions (as it should), and you'll need to manually search each library file.

For me, this is annoying, as I may want all my "Now" CD's on one Partition, the "Artist Albums" on another, and "Singles" on another - so if I add new music, I only need to run the Librarian on the partition that is effected.

Its not the best bit of kit if you're into serious mixing, but for general use, I've been very pleased. You may also be able to find a cheaper D2 unit - I don't really know the differences, but they sound pretty close in functionality.

can a keyboard be linked to the cortex and work with ease

dont worry looked it up on cortex site. very interested in this now.

shame i cant list my numark cue and numark total control in the for sale section. need to sell these to fund the controller. how many posts do i need to get before i can post in the for sale section

i have an american audio 3 channel mixer and thinking of getting a usb cd player to use on the other channel just incase the controller goes down. will just take a select few cds with me.

cheers guys for the advice as this has spurred me on to upgrade my gear and move forward with the times and technlogy

Edited by ChrisPeacock
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been scouring ebay and online sites for a Numark D2 Director but cannot find one anywhere. I didnt want to spend £379 on the DDS as I would rather spend that on a PC or put the money towards one. So if anyone has one for sale please let me know. Cheers

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

How do you find your Cortex player ? I read up online of these players and have seen some reviews that they freeze up for a few seconds when searching for files.

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

i have been having freezing issues but getting less and less as im going through my music and sorting it out a bit. done 2 disco's with it so far and it froze once but i was playing a cd at the time through the mixer so it didnt effect the disco in anyway

Thanks for all of the replies and different ways the discussion has gone and hopefully will continue to go, some good advice.

I've someone who is running a Cortex and someone who is running a Numark so i'm gonna try and have a go with each before i make my mind up.

Warren.