Dj's United

Fine.

The only problem I had was copying one hard drive to another. When in the drive unit and connected to the D2 I got a message telling me I couldn't use the search system, just the file browser.

It was the method I had used to copy. I changed the method and everything was fine.

I have done all this for convenience. It means I can keep a drive unit connected permanently to one of my PCs and simply transfer caddies between it and my road unit whenever an update is required.

i have bought a 160gb hard drive for this now but having difficulty putting music onto it. its linked via usb straight into the laptop, it does find the drive but wont let me format it or access it at all. the drivers for it installed automatically and were successful. any ideas on this. im scratching my head

when in control panel i get given a list of hard drives and what space is left on them except the 160gb unit from the dds. the harddrive is in the dds unit and locked in place. the usb cable comes out of the back and goes into the laptop usb port. this cable is the only usb port at the back of the dds. so im assuming the cabel takes both dvd drive and HDD info to and from the dds to the laptop.

the laptop picks up 2 devices both named the same, but doesnt say how big they are or whether i can format them. not many options to do anything with them.

also the cortex picks them both up but wont let me access the HDD part yet as it got no music on it and has not been formatted yet

i think i might have to try the download that you mention in the above post

I think the problem with not seeing the HDD in question is that it might a) not have been partitions (blank), or previously partitioned with non-DOS partitions, or an entirely different format altogether (like OSX does).

Once you get the partition table sorted, you should just be able to right-click the drive in Windows and format as FAT32...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

i just downloaded Easus partition software as you suggested and it formatted the drive to fat32 straight away.

i will create the DB and add some music to try it out now

i have added a small amount of music to try out but it crashes out randomly after about 10 mins

Do you mean the drive crashes after 10 minutes of playing time or the Cortex crashes or do you mean one or the other crashes after being switched on for 10 minutes?

Have you tried playing from the drive using the player from your PC?

Edited by spinner

Here's a question I know spinner will know the answer to, how many rack U's is the Numark D2 section?

Does the Cortex have to have Fat 32 formatting?

Someone may know the answer, I have a seagate external 1tgb cased hardrive which works with MP3 playback on my home pc, however sometimes it seems to stop and think about it, making click click noises while it does it, if it does then the music stops for a second and then restarts, not what you would want when playing to a drunk audiance! Any idea whats happening or why, can it be stopped ?

Edited by Swingcats

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

the cortex crashes or it says it has been disconnected from the drive. but i managed to use it for 2 hours last night with no problems.

USB can be finickity at times - Try a new USB lead - i had one that was slightly dodgy and caused weird timeout issues with a drive - replaced the USB lead and all was fine..

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

i will definatelt try a new lead as this happened again just now when was skipping through the menus.

i did go to put the usb cable into the usb slot on the front of the cortex earlier and it switched the cortex on. is that normal

Here's a question I know spinner will know the answer to, how many rack U's is the Numark D2 section?

3U

Does the Cortex have to have Fat 32 formatting?

Probably. This seems to be the required standard for mass storage players ( if the keyboard search function is to be used - NTFS doesn't allow this).

Someone may know the answer, I have a seagate external 1tgb cased hardrive which works with MP3 playback on my home pc, however sometimes it seems to stop and think about it, making click click noises while it does it, if it does then the music stops for a second and then restarts, not what you would want when playing to a drunk audiance! Any idea whats happening or why, can it be stopped ?

3 possibilities. 1. Your drive needs to be split into smaller partitions (around 350gb is optimum). 2. you have too many tracks per folder. 3. It's on the way out.

Edited by spinner

i will definatelt try a new lead as this happened again just now when was skipping through the menus.

i did go to put the usb cable into the usb slot on the front of the cortex earlier and it switched the cortex on. is that normal

It's quiet possible that the cortex isn't actually off, but in a "sleep" state, and configured for USB wake-up.. (the USB port is still alive and well even though the unit appears off). Many laptops & PCs do it too.

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham