Dj's United

Website Question .com Or .co.uk

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of the web guys out there can answer this ...

By having a .com web address - Can this have a negative effect with local search web optimization?

i.e. Do searches (in google uk) look for .co.uk's first

Many thanks in advance

Steve

oohh

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of the web guys out there can answer this ...

By having a .com web address - Can this have a negative effect with local search web optimization?

i.e. Do searches (in google uk) look for .co.uk's first

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Steve,

There "used" be a rumor that a .co.uk domain should be UK hosted (so a UK IP address).

Not sure how true this is.

I don't see .com being discriminated against in an obvious way for local search results.

For me, I prefer a .co.uk over a .com UNLESS the website provides services or goods worldwide.

How many times have you clicked on a .com to find prices/services are US $ only?

So, even if its does rank highly on Google, take care that the page title is obviously a UK website.

Cheers Jason,

I have neglected my business websites over the last 3 months and took a random google search and was no where to be seen!!! :wall:

So need to get back on some optimization .

oohh

I'm in the process of setting up my first ever website (oh my god lol, talk about steep learning curve!)

I decided to go with a co.uk domain myself.

I know it's not the case but I always used to think that .com is USA/other countries and co.uk was strictly UK sites. I don't know if joe public thinks this way but if I was online shopping etc I used to avoid .com and stick to co.uk

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

You could always get the .com as well and redirect it to your .co.uk domain...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

You could always get the .com as well and redirect it to your .co.uk domain...

Cheers,

David

Watch out for duplicate content penalties- use a 301 redirect, NOT a 302 (google this)

Watch out for duplicate content penalties- use a 301 redirect, NOT a 302 (google this)

Yep on the old 301 :)

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I don’t believe the actual domain (.com or .co.uk) has much effect. There are far more important things to consider. Update pages regularly, make sure the text on the page is relevant, and that the meta tags are used in the page text. Also get as many links from high ranked pages as you can. But who really knows how the Google juice works.

From a customer point of view I agree with Vokf, if you are serving the UK market, most visitors know a .co.uk site is almost certainly UK based.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

Happy new year people

Ive had my website for a year now and only getting in to google on obscure or 'long tailed searches' i also work for an events company that do their own website and knows quite a bit about this. The website needs to have relevant updated content preferably not stolen from other website. But Mr google could take a long time getting you up in the top unles you pay.

There are a lot of sites you can put your website on for free (or a reciprocal link) which i have done and i do get some enquiries from these.

I have a .co.uk as a .com does imply worldwide as .us is america and .es is spain etc. so a .co.uk would determine being a UK website with a UK company. I was also told (not sure how true) that the others (.org .tv etc) dont get such a good look with google its always best to get the .co.uk or .com as these are prefferred by google. remember i dont know how true this is but just do a google search on something and see how many other domain endings come up.

Andy

One thing I did last year, was to look at any directory sites that appeared when searching for key phrases that I wished to appear under.

I then purchased (for a small fee), advertising on these sites, or if they provided a free link I took up that advantage.

Randomly adding link to "link farm" directories is never a good idea, but targetting placement of your link on good websites is.

From a DJing perspective, I've picked up 1 or 2 mid-week gigs from GoodParty. The average rate of their enquires appears to have dropped, but there are still some good ones to be found occasionally.

I've also paid for a listing on Hitched, so will see how that works out.

Makes no differance at all, I have one of each and both sites work well in seaches. co.uk is far cheaper to buy. :wacko:

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

Makes no differance at all, I have one of each and both sites work well in seaches. co.uk is far cheaper to buy. :wacko:

I agree, I don't think the .Com or .Co.UK makes a difference in search engines. I am also President of a wedding association with a .Org address. We rank #1 or first page, depending on the search, in all major search engines. So I don’t think the .Org is a problem either. However I go back to my original post. .Co.UK defines the business as UK based, while .Com (.Commercial) is US or World based, and .Org is usually a charity or non profit organization. There are no rules but it’s always better not to confuse your customers.

In order to move up in search engines, get links from high ranked pages, check the page content and Meta tags are relevant, and update regularly. I would also start a Facebook or MySpace page, keep that updated and link it back to your website. But the Facebook/MySpace idea can be a lot of work.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply... but thought I would add my advice...

With regards to the actual domain... it doesn't matter if it's a .uk domain or a .com domain!!

Hell, you can get a .co ... or a .in ... or a .net... or whatever....

What matters is two things!

As Jason mentioned.... if you are aiming at the UK market... ensure your HOSTING IS IN THE UK!!! This decreases site load times which google likes!

Another benefit is... if you get a problem, you can get in touch with the hosting company!

Most of all... ensure your SEO is tailored to your industry and local areas you cover!

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------