Dj's United

Confused About Sub Low Pass Filter And Tops Eq Setting

On my Sub is low pass filter with dial for 50hz to 120hz

On my tops is the option to EQ to cut which is suggested in the user's guide for use with subs, however they also say not to use it with a high pass filter on a sub as you get a poor crossover match.

Sould I use the eq cut setting with the low pass filter? Or should it be set flat?

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

On my Sub is low pass filter with dial for 50hz to 120hz

On my tops is the option to EQ to cut which is suggested in the user's guide for use with subs, however they also say not to use it with a high pass filter on a sub as you get a poor crossover match.

Sould I use the eq cut setting with the low pass filter? Or should it be set flat?

What sub and mid/highs do you have? If you have subs and mid/highs (tops in other words) then it's best to use a low pass filter if there's one on the sub, in this case i'd like to know what mid/highs you have before I could tell you what frequency to set the sub's low pass filter to. Normally about 80-100hz is the best frequency, but in this case I don't know what tops you have so don't know what kind of eq they have on them, if it's parametric or just a high pass filter. One way you could be absolutely sure to get the best crossover frequency and filter slope is to use (if you have one) an analogue crossover like the Dbx 223XL, all you'd do then is connect the sub and tops to it and select the frequency on the Dbx crossover.

What sub and mid/highs do you have? If you have subs and mid/highs (tops in other words) then it's best to use a low pass filter if there's one on the sub, in this case i'd like to know what mid/highs you have before I could tell you what frequency to set the sub's low pass filter to. Normally about 80-100hz is the best frequency, but in this case I don't know what tops you have so don't know what kind of eq they have on them, if it's parametric or just a high pass filter. One way you could be absolutely sure to get the best crossover frequency and filter slope is to use (if you have one) an analogue crossover like the Dbx 223XL, all you'd do then is connect the sub and tops to it and select the frequency on the Dbx crossover.

Thanks for answer, They are JBL Eon 515's with Boost, flat and cut Eq settings

pevey pro 15" sub with low pass filter as above

Edited by Swingcats

www.swingcats.co.uk

Do whatever sounds right to you. You wont damage anything by experimenting with the controls.

The high-pass EQ setting on the JBL Eons will just take the heat out of the music that they play, allowing the bass to be handled exclusively by the bins so the Eons have an easier, cooler time playing just the mid-highs efficiently.

I would recommend you leave the Peavey dial at 120Hz, so they play all the frequencies from 120Hz downwards. Then use the high-pass on the Eons to suit your ear.

The advice JBL have said about not using the EQ with a high-pass filter is only if you're feeding the signal through from the bass bins and onto the JBLs via the crossover in the bins. If that's what you're going, leave the JBL EQ flat to prevent the filters in the bins and the EQ filters in the tops 'fighting' each other. If you're feeding them all in parallel, ie with a full-range signal, then adjust the JBL to taste.

Edited by superstardeejay

Thanks Guys, sounded better falt than cut, sorted! :thanks:

www.swingcats.co.uk