Dj's United

Hi

I just wondered if anybody is using EV SX300s & SB122s for mobile disco?

I want to really cut my weight down (i must be getting old) and i worked with a singer over christmas in a decent size room with about 150 people in it and he had the above speakers. Ok so it didn't have the amount of bass you would get from decent 18" subs but it was plenty loud enough and crystal clear and of course all of the components are very lightweight.

Any views very welcome please especially from anyone with first hand experience.

Hi Warren, I have heard a similar system a few times as a dj in my locality uses it. He uses the two 12" subs but the EV ZX1 tops rather than the sx300's, which are 8" & 200W I think, sounded great to me any time I have heard them and he also says they are very reliable, using the ZX1 may be better as you could safely use a distance pole between the subs and tops without fear of it toppling over, the sx 300 are the same weight as the sub so I think it could be dangerous to mount the sx 300 over the sub. I have never heard the system pushed however, no idea how they'd cope in a large function room with 150+ people, but then again I don't think they are designed to cope with gigs like that, hope this helps. I'm also looking to cut down the weight a bit, the majority of my gigs are in pubs or small function rooms so my 15" tops and 18" sub are becoming a real pain to carry around, some great lightweight active stuff on the market, have you considered the QSC K12's? Every DJ who uses them raves about them. Regards

Mike

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Hi Mike

I'm aware of the QSC K12s and seen the good write-ups but never heard them.

I never thought of the ZX1s with the SB122 subs but your point about stability is a good one. The singer i saw using them has the SX300s on tripod stands and the SB122 subs on the floor, i guess for this very reason. The only thing is the SX300s could be used on their own in small rooms and i doubt if the ZX1s would be any good alone for disco only being an 8" driver but i'm only guessing as i've never heard the ZX1s.

I think a lot of us are sizing down as there just doesn't seem to be the big venues around anymore with how many places have closed down.

the sx 300's are extremely popular with singers and DJ's over here, good speakers, you should be able to pick up a pair on ebay for reasonable money, and I doubt the zx 1 could be used on it's own, but it looks really smart set up the way I said, and is a very lightweight system overall, perfect for small gigs and sounded very good the few times I heard them, I'm completely converted to active, doubt I'll ever own a passive system again unless I see an absolute steal on ebay or something. Good luck with the shopping anyway.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

I will start by saying, if you compare any “compact speaker system” with a good 18” bass bin and mids, you’re gonna be disappointed. But there comes a time where smaller is better, (even if the sound is not quite as good). I have never been a fan of powered speakers, but I recently purchased a pair of QSC K10’s for wedding ceremonies. I also rent them out for “IPod” Parties and I have to say they are incredible little speakers (1,000 watts per speaker!!!). If you are considering powered speakers, I would highly recommend the QSC range, look at the K12’s with bass bins.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

I agree a compact system is never going to compete with 18" subs etc but it's a happy compromise i guess i need to find.

I don't think laws of physics let you get away from the fact that big sound comes from big boxes!

There seems to be lots of talk of the QSC K12s but i haven't heard them. I have heard a Ksub and i was very impressed for it's size and weight so if that's anything to go by you would expect the K12s to be as good??

Thanks for the comments so far :-)