Dj's United

Hi people.

New on here but been djing since I was 14 at the local youth club in Dudley the mid 70's.

There was quite a few dj's around Dudley at that time in Martins on the High Street for new 12" singles & Barry James records for the Northern stuff.

Des Mitchell, Dave Higgins, Alan Gilbert are all guys who I grew up with & who all started djing at around the same time.

Ran a mobile disco with my old school buddy Chris which was called Signs we sold the equipment in the early 80's so he could start up his own business.

I then teamed up with Alan Gilbert(who is well known in Northern Soul circles) we were mobile for quite a few years & had a brief period in the mid 80's as residents at the Fellows Club in Dudley before they sold it off to Beefeater.

I stopped djing in the mid 90's because of other work commitements but started up again in 2000 because I missed it !!

Now I only do the odd function for family & long time friends.

Have had numerous set ups over the years started with a FAL Ranger, then a Citronic Hawaii & recently a KAM CD set up, at the moment I'm using a Vestax Midi controller & laptop , so much easier than lugging boxes of singles up sets of stairs in the old days.

My 14 year old daughter had her 1st mixer for Christmas so I'm trying to pass what skills I have to her.

My taste has always been soul music from Northern in the early days to Mary J Blige now.

I hope I can pass on any help to guys from my own experiences

:welcome: and it is great that you are passing on your skills to your daughter. their are too few female DJs out there

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Hi people.

New on here but been djing since I was 14 at the local youth club in Dudley the mid 70's.

There was quite a few dj's around Dudley at that time in Martins on the High Street for new 12" singles & Barry James records for the Northern stuff.

Des Mitchell, Dave Higgins, Alan Gilbert are all guys who I grew up with & who all started djing at around the same time.

Ran a mobile disco with my old school buddy Chris which was called Signs we sold the equipment in the early 80's so he could start up his own business.

I then teamed up with Alan Gilbert(who is well known in Northern Soul circles) we were mobile for quite a few years & had a brief period in the mid 80's as residents at the Fellows Club in Dudley before they sold it off to Beefeater.

I stopped djing in the mid 90's because of other work commitements but started up again in 2000 because I missed it !!

Now I only do the odd function for family & long time friends.

Have had numerous set ups over the years started with a FAL Ranger, then a Citronic Hawaii & recently a KAM CD set up, at the moment I'm using a Vestax Midi controller & laptop , so much easier than lugging boxes of singles up sets of stairs in the old days.

My 14 year old daughter had her 1st mixer for Christmas so I'm trying to pass what skills I have to her.

My taste has always been soul music from Northern in the early days to Mary J Blige now.

I hope I can pass on any help to guys from my own experiences

Really good introduction! really looking forward to learn from your posts , love the way you have adapted and changed over the years and how the bug of djing drew you back in , you sound as passionate as when you first started ..nice one ..and welcome

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Thanks guys, my daughter has been coming along with me for about 4 years got her carrying things right from the start so she knows what its like, I have taken her to the BPM show the last couple of years & last year Vestax had 2 female dj's working their stand & 1 of them took time to have a chat to her which was great & prompted her to ask for a mixer for Christmas. Looks like she might be djing at her mates birthday party soon, Dad will be there to help but I remember my first gig & I'm sure she will be nervous, shes practising like mad at the moment :)

Edited by djdshaw

:welcome: to the forum

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Hi There,

Welcome to the Forum. How's the Dudley area? I started out DJing just down the road from you, in Kiddermister, and then Worcester before moving back to Stourbridge. I crossing the Atlantic in 2002 and now DJ in California, a little different from the Merry Hill.

I agree with other posts here, great to be passing on your skills, and even better when it’s to a family member.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

Hi Derek, thanks for the welcome Dudley is the same as ever although these days there's very little that goes on around here gone are the days of 2 or 3 clubs in the town & good nights out.

California sounds good I worked in Fresno for a while in the late 80's but wasn't impressed with that city, I did love San Diego though :)

Dudley is the same as ever although these days there's very little that goes on around here gone are the days of 2 or 3 clubs in the town & good nights out.

California sounds good I worked in Fresno for a while in the late 80's but wasn't impressed with that city, I did love San Diego though :)

I remember a club in Dudley, opposite the zoo; I think it was upstairs and call Pandora’s. I also think there was another club further up the hill, but I’m not sure about that one. A friend of mine installed the sound system at Pandora’s in the late 70’s or early 80’s. But I knew the clubs around Kidderminster and Kingswinford better.

At the Moment San Diego sounds good, I am in Lake Tahoe which is a ski resort. We have a few feet of snow and it’s COLD. I have to say it is beautiful here though.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

Hi Derek, thanks for the welcome Dudley is the same as ever although these days there's very little that goes on around here gone are the days of 2 or 3 clubs in the town & good nights out.

Hello and welcome, nice intro, might have to pick your brains for some Northern Soul tunes.

I spent an awful night in Fresno once, dodgy motel and creepy characters everywhere. We only stopped on the way to somewhere else and couldn't get out quick enough in the morning!