Dj's United

Upgrading My Passive Speakers Question

hello guys i'm new here

just to let you know i have some yamaha speakers i don't know what watt there are as they don't say it on the back so i don't know how good they are, all i know is they don't sound amazing and look about 100 years old. The top tweeter has blown on one of them so i'm just thinking of getting rid and buying some proper good ones because i dj in a small venue week in week out whereas before it was just once in a blue moon as a mobile dj.

I want power! i want to blow everybody away with base! and a quality sound! my question is should i go for the speakers that have two 15'' subs in them or just the single ones? whats the dif? i also do big rooms aswell so i want them to be powerful enough for that.

Am i wrong for thinking if i want power i need to go for high wattage? but i don't wanna spend mega money, my budget is £350-400 for the pair i have seen this (check my link below) there by kool sound CX215 and they are combined 600wt rms they sound pritty good but iv seen some kam speakers that are only 250watt for the same price!!!! so can somebody explain why this is. The venue i dj at have about 10 good working amps so i will defo find one to fit the speakers im getting.

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/pp/Speakers...o_Speakers.html

Can anyone give a little info in what i should be looking for when purchasing speakers and if they can advise one what makes to go for in my price budget, thanks again for having me on this forum

chris

There are no specs. shown for these speakers which makes them suspect.

1200 watts RMS for the pair is mentioned but 1200 watts peak is mentioned too. Is this per cabinet?

If they are rated at a genuine 600 watts rms this sounds about right.

The question is how sensitive/efficient are they? A speaker with a higher rating will produce more sound, or be louder, using the same amount of amplifier ouput, than one with a lower rating.

Because of this it is possible that a more sensitive speaker with a lower RMS rating can sound louder, with the same amount of amplifier input, than a less sensitive one with a higher RMS rating

1200 watts RMS for the pair is mentioned but 1200 watts peak is mentioned too. Is this per cabinet?

The question is how sensitive/efficient are they? A speaker with a higher rating will produce more sound, or be louder, using the same amount of amplifier ouput, than one with a lower rating.

Because of this it is possible that a more sensitive speaker with a lower RMS rating can sound louder, with the same amount of amplifier input, than a less sensitive one with a higher RMS rating

Hiya

you might wanna try this website its the official kool sound website, they actually look pritty good for the money what do you think so when it sounds louder its the wattage what do you look for if you want quality of sound in spec?

i will be using them every week friday and saturday so im looking for speakers that will last me if you get me, id rather still save me money n get some really good well known speakers

hiya

thanks for getting back to me, take a look at this website its the koo sound official website and it they do sound pritty good for the money but i just dont wanna get em cuz its got good wattage i want them to have a good quality sound (how do you look for that in the spec)

http://www.koolsound.com/materiel-sono-67-fr.php

thnkz

chris

I had the misfortune to attend a party where the DJ was using koolsound twin 15 cabs just before xmas.

They looked slightly different to the ones you link to so I assume they were a different model but they sounded horrible, very "boomy" if you get my meaning with no clarity at all.

I would recommend you look out for a decent 2nd hand system. To get the bass and volume you are looking for i'd be keeping an eye out for at least a 2.1 system (1 bass speaker, 2 mid/hi's)

Don't forget though that if you are buying bigger, higher wattage speakers you will also need a suitable amplifier(s) to power them.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

The quality sound you are after comes at a price im afraid.

The best was is to have 2 subs, 2 tops and external electronic crossover (the crossover sends bass to the subs and mid highs to the tops) and 2 amplifiers (fed by said crossover).

sounds extreme but thats the best option. a 2x15 cab is an alternative and more convienient as you just need 1 amp and i would suggest looking for second hand as quality costs. Have a search for some peavey hisys 4's on ebay etc. they are a 2x15 cabinet with peavey black widow drivers. they weigh a ton though.

Also 2x15's cant be stand mounted and if you are at floor level your sound would get lost in the crowd very easily.

i have some gear to get rid of if you want to PM me

Edited by MintyDave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

thanks for getting back to me, take a look at this website its the koo sound official website and it they do sound pritty good for the money but i just dont wanna get em cuz its got good wattage i want them to have a good quality sound (how do you look for that in the spec)

Sensitivity of 105 at that price? Hard to believe.

You really need to hear them in the right environment or go on a recommendation you can trust.

Kool Sound is a French brand I think (but made in China).

hiya guys back again,

right, try not to laugh to loud at this one its kinda embarassing!!

I have just got back from the club i dj at to have a closer look at what they have me using there because its all setup. Here what i got, I have a warfdale pro PM600, Yamaha 250rms(500max) speakers, would you say that balance of equipment is ok?

Heres the embarasing part, I thought to myself after reading the topic about speakers and it says alot about going into the ''red'' on the mixer then ovbiously speaker blows. I'm thinkin my mixer is always in the 'red' but my speaker never blows!!!?? This is my theory (tell me if im wrong please) My master volume on my amp is always turned right down because i dont want to blow my speakers but a didnt realise that my speakers would'nt be loud hence the reason why i turn the volume on my mixer up that loud that the mixer lights are going in the red, could that be the reason why i have blown my top end of my speaker because i wernt giving my speakers the right power from the amp and stressed them out???????

Another thing i will have to repair my top end of the speaker, can i go out and buy a decent yamaha tweeter or can i buy any tweeter that fits it?

I'm getting me speaker repaired tomoz so il see what he says but tell me what you think!!

thanks guys

chris

Running you mixer into the red is a bad thing. I have had a quick look and you would be safe to run the master vol on the wharfedale flat out, just be careful though!!! (it states 230w @4 ohm so you may get 150w at 8Ohm, and you say the yamahas are 250w) or just dial it back a bit to be safe and then keep your mixer in the green.

If you run your mixer in the red then you are potentially sending a distorted signal to your amp and speakers which can cause damage even at lower levels.

just to clarify, is this the amp you are talking about

http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Portals/0/Images/Products/PM/PM_600_S.jpg

Not the best setup really, buy my gear that'll blow them sooooooooooooooooo far away they will need a bank loan to get a taxi back!!!

Edited by MintyDave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

HAHAHAHAH THT WAS QUITE FUNNY

yeah im really intested in what you got to offer i cant send PM at minute not reached 15 posts, but yeah i like what u have offered me, let me do a little thinkin but i think ur gear is exactly what i need.

Message to MINTYDAVE

Hiya mate would it be possible if i was to buy the speakers and the bass bins to show me the setup so i get used to it? i have never seen that type of setup before but it does sound pritty awesome, im nearly on 15 posts now so i can PM you soon haha

No problem Chris, the gear is going nowhere for now.

This is the gear i am offering Chris, all in good working order

2 x hisys 2 - 350w 8ohm

2 x 115xt bass bins - 350w 4 ohm

1 kam kxr 1500 in 2 u flight case

1 kam kxr 2000 in 2 u flight case

1 x peavey vsx crossover

speaker poles and loads of speakon cables

its easy for me to say its good stuff etc but its only fair for everybody else to comment. do you think £500 is a fair price for that lot

No problem Chris, the gear is going nowhere for now.

This is the gear i am offering Chris, all in good working order

2 x hisys 2 - 350w 8ohm

2 x 115xt bass bins - 350w 4 ohm

1 kam kxr 1500 in 2 u flight case

1 kam kxr 2000 in 2 u flight case

1 x peavey vsx crossover

speaker poles and loads of speakon cables

its easy for me to say its good stuff etc but its only fair for everybody else to comment. do you think £500 is a fair price for that lot

£500 for that lot , your giving it away minty !

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

£500 for that lot , your giving it away minty !

s' a good price though! Would be quite heavy (rather you than me carry that lot though!).

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Hiya guys its me again

Im gonna buy mintydaves peavey's off him but got my amp fixed and speakers fixed so i can sell them but i tried my speakers last night with higher amp volume and a big sound check hours before i had my gig.

I can honestly say iv never heard my speakers sound so good!! the only downside to it for me was power...dont get me wrong its a small venue i dj so it was fine, but i could have done with a bass bin or something to get it rockin.

My question is with a bass bin can you decide how much bass you want?

it all depends on what you have and how its wired up.

option 1

mixer to amp to passive bass bin with internal crossover with a set of tops connected to the dedicated hi output on the bass bin. With this the internal crossover in the bass bin is preset to allow bass frequencies to stay in the bins and sends all the mid highs to the tops. You have no control other than whats on your mixer and amplifier

option 2

mixer to electronic crossover to two amps to bass bins and tops. with this you have full control over what goes to where. The crossover seperates the frequencies and sends the bass to an amplifier then onto your bass bins and the same happens with the mid tops.

The control you have is the option to set the crossover frequency (the point that defies whats bass and whats not). A gain control for both the bass and mid top frequencies and then obviously volume controls both amplifiers.

Not an easy subject and i hope this helps.

Dave