Dj's United

Upgrading My Typical Mobile Dj Mixer

Hey

I was thinking of upgrading my whole gear speakers (getting mintydaves peavey) so thats that. The second item i wanting to upgrade is my old style dj mixer!

One thing i need to know before upgrading is this. At the moment im using a kam twin cd and mixer kit

http://comparehighstreet.co.uk/product/12/...er-Cd-Kit-.html

At the bar i dj at we play everything from 70s, to rock music to dance music. I use my laptop for everything i dont use my twin cd mixer for anything, if it wasnt for the volume on there i would never use it!! The software i use on my laptop is virtual dj and do all my mixing and beatmatching on there but what im wanting is a piece of equipment where i can do it without touching the pc!

Like i said i dont play just dance or D'N'B i play everything so im not wanting loadsa gadgets on my mixer but i dont want something that you can get for £100 quid at argos!! maybe £300-400 cuz i think if i go higher than that il be paying for gadgets that i dont even use!!

The setup i want is what Mintydave has, he got a picture on tinypic.com but i dont wanna post it on here incase he doesnt want me to, but thats the setup im looking for. Only downside to that is his gear looks more expensive than £400 hahaha

let me know what you think will be suitable for what i need it for

thanks

chris

The other members will probably be fed up with me mentioning this but I use a Hercules RMX. They retail for around £280.

http://www.hercules.com/uk/DJ-Music/bdd/p/62/dj-console-rmx/

It's a controller with built in sound card. Have a read about it in the link above, I think it would probably tick all the boxes.

I use mine for controlling VDJ and very rarely touch my laptop unless I need to use the keyboard to search for a track.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Are hercules a good make? i know they sell them in argos (not that one your showing me) but i just thought your best ones are like pioneer etc, but i understand they will come at a expensive cost.

yeah i like the sound of the hurcules, if anyone has got any other product maybe a little bigger mor expensive piece of kit let me know.

I use Video Virtaul DJ just incase you wanted to know my software

Hi chris

Backup,Backup,Backup!!!!!!!!!! We need backup

What i do and would recommend you do is keep the cd players and mixer kit as it is ( i have a kam twin cd kit but with a better mixer as the kam one packed up) and then look at something like the numark total control (simple usb controller) with the numark djio (multichannel usb soundcard) http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2585

im not sure how the hercules works and obviously i dont know what else you have but having the djio lets you have 2 channels of music going to your mixer allowing you to cue up properly etc. What have you got now?

if the hercules has an inbuilt soundcard that lets you do that then ok but i would avoid the all in one mixer controller units as if it goes down you are scuppered also the mic inputs and overall sound of some of these units is a bit poor.

Im not dissing the hercules or any other product as that would be unfair since i have never even seen one in the flesh but just generalising.

When i upgraded my mixer, the difference in sound was amazing and keeping everything seperate means an easy upgrade if something dies even on the night i can swap gear out in the matter of minutes and carry on

All in all its very wise to have 2 methods of playback ready to go and you have got exactly that so far.

Do you leave your gear in the club or do you take hoemevery night?

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Do you leave your gear in the club or do you take hoemevery night?

Dave

i should take it home everynight but i dont i just leave it in looked up cupboard and saves alot of looading unloading loading unloading you know how it is!! But to be safe i should take it all home.

I take my mics, laptop home cause they small and expensive. My lights are all rigged in the venue so there fine.

All i have is this mixer and my laptop, if me laptop goes i got back up with my kam cd player so thats fine, i dont have a back up mixer though so i will be keeping both just incase the mixer goes then i can swap over. Would having a good mixer to a crap mixer be a massive part in sound quality?? if so i would be wanting something that wouldnt make my sound awfull.

Would having a good mixer to a crap mixer be a massive part in sound quality?? if so i would be wanting something that wouldnt make my sound awfull.

not massive but noticable. I did an upgrade to my PA then added a decent mixer later, if i had them both at once i would of seen a bigger difference but couldnt afford to do that. I really noticed the mic channel being better as i do karaoke and obviously make announcements at parties.

what do you use to get audio out of your laptop?

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Chris,I have the Numark Total Control and DJIO soundcard running thro an external mixer which serves my twin CD deck.For my standard of dj'ing(I dont scratch or mix) it works quite well.

On the other hand I think the general opinion is that the Hercules is a more sturdier build than the Numark and a small bonus is that the Hercules can be flight cased in a 19inch rack as they make rack mount ears to fit.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

I have s cable running from a channel on my kam mixer goin into my headphones socket on my laptop.

you know like you have two cd players on a twin cd mixer? can you have it so instead of playing cd's from the mixer the mixer will be reading the laptops play button for instance virtual dj decks?

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=3360

say for instance that mixer above, will i be able to disable the cd player and play all my music off my laptop onto the cd player controlls??

I have s cable running from a channel on my kam mixer goin into my headphones socket on my laptop.

you know like you have two cd players on a twin cd mixer? can you have it so instead of playing cd's from the mixer the mixer will be reading the laptops play button for instance virtual dj decks?

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=3360

say for instance that mixer above, will i be able to disable the cd player and play all my music off my laptop onto the cd player controlls??

No you need a specific usb controller, like the numark total control etc, to work pc based software. How do you mix using just the headphone output?

there are devices that have usb software control and cd control but the price goes up im afraid

numark mix deck is a twin cd player mixer and usb controller all rolled into one.

The danger is that all your eggs are in 1 basket. If the fuse blows you loose mixer cd players and controller all at once.

Obviously you can get single cd players that have usb too like the american audio radius 2000's and the numark ndx800. they can swap to play cd's or control virtual dj at the touch of a button

after that you are looking at denon and pioneer, dont even go there unless you have this weeks lottery numbers. :D

this is it i dont do alot of mixing at all!! I usually make mastermix's of diff songs and go from there, i want something where i can do it all live and on the night, sample it in my headphones and mix. Its just a route i havent been down before which is stupid cuz im now a residant dj!

Im heading in the right direction tho so thats a good sign hahaha

this is it i dont do alot of mixing at all!! I usually make mastermix's of diff songs and go from there, i want something where i can do it all live and on the night, sample it in my headphones and mix. Its just a route i havent been down before which is stupid cuz im now a residant dj!

Im heading in the right direction tho so thats a good sign hahaha

The djio from numark is the first step. Stick with mouse control for now (thats all i use at the moment) . You can plug the djio into channels 2 and 3 (i have cd players on 1 and 4) on your mixer and go from there. you may notice an improved sound just by doing that as the headphone outs on laptops are very basic. you bypass the onboard sound completely by using the config menu in virtual dj but lets cross that bridge when it comes.

Edited by MintyDave

yeah so i plug my numark controller into my mixer and then plug the lead for the laptop in the numark controller?? that sounds pritty good i think il go for that plan for the time being

thanks

minty check your PM i dropped you a email saying when i can come over n see ya

yeah so i plug my numark controller into my mixer and then plug the lead for the laptop in the numark controller??

You mean the Djio soundcard surely. Its comes with a usb lead, thats all you need between the djio and your laptop and then yes straight into your mixer using 2 sets of phono leads like the ones in the back of your case that connects up the cd players

if you get a controller, like the numark total control then you just use a usb lead nothing else.

The DJIO

http://www.numark.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/82b67c540e7c3ca6c40a414df265c53b/medium/djio_rearconnex_med.jpg

connections are from left to right

output 1 ...........output 2..............power (not needed)...............usb to laptop