Dj's United

Need Inspiration - Bit Off Topic

Have been doing PA for the mrs' band recently and am inspired to start playing (guitar) again.

There has been a small surge and need for informal pub acoustic nights and im getting hooked.

Trouble is im stuck for inspiration for fun tunes. I dont want pretencious singer songwriter dross, somebody else does that, neither do i want anything too cheesy.

current tracks im working on include

valerie - zutons

easy - faith no more

sweet home alabama/all summer long - lynyrd skynyrd/kid rock

You've got the love - florence and the machine

substitute - the who

nothing ever happens - del amitri (bit slow but nice)

one way - levellers

paradise by the dashboard light - meatloaf

One guy finishes his set with American pie (played perfectly may i add) and thats hard to follow.

it has been a good PR exercise for me as everywhere we go i do my best to get a good sound with a few complimentary lights and always happen to have a few business cards to hand :ads:

so if you have any ideas that would be great. something well known in bluesy and country styles would be nice.

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Have been doing PA for the mrs' band recently and am inspired to start playing (guitar) again.

There has been a small surge and need for informal pub acoustic nights and im getting hooked.

Trouble is im stuck for inspiration for fun tunes. I dont want pretencious singer songwriter dross, somebody else does that, neither do i want anything too cheesy.

current tracks im working on include

valerie - zutons

easy - faith no more

sweet home alabama/all summer long - lynyrd skynyrd/kid rock

You've got the love - florence and the machine

substitute - the who

nothing ever happens - del amitri (bit slow but nice)

one way - levellers

paradise by the dashboard light - meatloaf

One guy finishes his set with American pie (played perfectly may i add) and thats hard to follow.

it has been a good PR exercise for me as everywhere we go i do my best to get a good sound with a few complimentary lights and always happen to have a few business cards to hand :ads:

so if you have any ideas that would be great. something well known in bluesy and country styles would be nice.

Dave

Personally I think a good classic blues belter like Mannish Boy would be a great start to a set - and done with a bit of attitude you wouldn't have to worry about what the previous act finished with!

The Who's - Squeeze box also springs to mind.

Fleetwood Mac (well their cover of) - Need Your Love So Bad for a slower blues.

Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Blind Melon - No Rain

I'll ponder on some more....

nobody's fault but mine was originally a blues song that Zeppelin re worked.

Doesn't meet your "fun" criteria though ..bit depressing

These might be worth a listen to

Faith - George Michael

Same jeans - The View

Mr Rock n roll - Amy Mc Donald

This is the Life Amy mc Donald

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Personally I think a good classic blues belter like Mannish Boy would be a great start to a set - and done with a bit of attitude you wouldn't have to worry about what the previous act finished with!

The Who's - Squeeze box also springs to mind.

Fleetwood Mac (well their cover of) - Need Your Love So Bad for a slower blues.

Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Blind Melon - No Rain

I'll ponder on some more....

Cool, love the fletewood song

Zeppelin!

immigrant song?

nobody's fault but mine was originally a blues song that Zeppelin re worked.

Doesn't meet your "fun" criteria though ..bit depressing

These might be worth a listen to

Faith - George Michael

Same jeans - The View

Mr Rock n roll - Amy Mc Donald

This is the Life Amy mc Donald

somebody already does amy mac and the view.

Begs the question Rob - why are you faffing about spinning tracks when you should be in the broadway production of the commitments??

Have been rattling throught Mustang sally this morning but am struggling to find the right key for me. Unfortunately i am a b# kind of guy. (for the non muso, the note and corresponding scales b# or Cb as some would prefer is non existant!)

Albatross is the kind of song can sing.

Edited by MintyDave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Now , now no need to take the extract the urine :huh:

seriously im not taking anything Rob, i have seen a few of your videos now and you have got a hellish voice. down side is that bands split the nights money.

have you never considered it?

seriously im not taking anything Rob, i have seen a few of your videos now and you have got a hellish voice. down side is that bands split the nights money.

have you never considered it?

I have never been able to find dedicated , reliable band members , most do it for laughs and beer money and want to wing stuff with next to zero practice. I do like to be prepared for stuff , but I cant seem to find people who are like minded. I Have thought about it but went no where unfortunately.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

I have never been able to find dedicated , reliable band members , most do it for laughs and beer money and want to wing stuff with next to zero practice. I do like to be prepared for stuff , but I cant seem to find people who are like minded. I Have thought about it but went no where unfortunately.

it is a case of either full on or what you have described round here, everybody moans about wanting be a rockstar but would rather watch footy or something daft than go to rehearsals. its been over 10 year since i last tried. shame really as we had a good little setup but never got past 3rd reheasal.

one of the reasons i am a kj.. i bring my own "band" and i can rely on me and there's no one to split the fee with apart from the tax man and her in doors.

A lot of musicians talk a lot but when they get down to it they are often prima donnas or not as good as they think they are , want 20 min drum or guitar solos in every song and never turn up for rehearsal so i have given it a miss , its a shame as i feel i have a lot to contribute to the right band members.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

one of the reasons i am a kj.. i bring my own "band" and i can rely on me and there's no one to split the fee with apart from the tax man and her in doors.

A lot of musicians talk a lot but when they get down to it they are often prima donnas or not as good as they think they are , want 20 min drum or guitar solos in every song and never turn up for rehearsal so i have given it a miss , its a shame as i feel i have a lot to contribute to the right band members.

IMHO, you add something to the evening being able to belt out a few songs too - You're not just another KJ, but a performer and entertainer. I've witnessed Rob sing and its very good - can also be a welcome relief to the ears! :Thumbup:

I really must get myself down to the Village on a Thursday again soon :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

kind words but there's a world of difference singing the odd song on karaoke and doing a set with backing tracks and then a leap again performing with a band.I always wanted to see if i had that ability never been able to get a band that were serious enough to practice properly or even turn up to rehearsals ..they want to jam on the night and it'll be all right sort of attitude.. not my way at all !

I am careful of not trying to look a show off (sometimes i may not do as intended) or steal a show , so if i have singers who take themselves seriously i tend not to sing and get them up ..if its full of people wanting a laugh , then I sing , when the rotation gets slow to pick the tempo of the atmosphere up.I do feel its harder if you dont/wont sing at all as a KJ especially with duet requests

There are many gigs where i do not sing at all and some where I feel like an artist from requests , I was pestered for a while to keep doing Nessun Dorma ..knackered my voice a bit and got boring real quickly and was a pain for audience members not into opera.

Gadget your always welcome Matey but bring your wheel barrow with money a pint of Peroni is £4.75!

I do a duet with a gay lad of ne yo's closer now that knocks the audiences socks off.. he is awesome and i have tried to mentor him to be an artist but he doesn't have the drive..

what's with people ? why are so many afraid of grafting? , putting in hard work now for future benefits rather than do nothing and live off benefits!

many talented people fall into the latter category and don't see there potential from my experience.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

what's with people ? why are so many afraid of grafting? , putting in hard work now for future benefits rather than do nothing and live off benefits!

Thats what i despise about most of the pop idol x factor entrants, how many give it, its all i have got i want to make it, i want to get out of wher ei live etc etc. where are they on a friday night, sat watching corrie?

best advice i can give after doing years as a bass player doing the circuit etc is to put yourself into the mindset of someone who has had 5-10 pints and is watching the artist.

when youve been drinking you want to hear:

a) something you know (no point playing obscure stuff)

b) something with a feel good factor

c) something you can sit in your chair and sing too (badly, in my case!)

bonus point for:

d) something that fits all of the above that you never hear played live.

a few we did:

Laid - James

Suspicious minds - Elvis

johnny b goode - chuck berry

cult - she slls sanctuary

killers - mr brightside

take me out - franz ferdinand

oasis - champagne supernova

just a few ideas - if you want to set yourself apart from the others, play well known stuff that no one else does - ie avoid all the cliches etc

good luck with it whatever you choose.

www.sparklingdiscos.co.uk

www.sparklingdancefloors.co.uk

best advice i can give after doing years as a bass player doing the circuit etc is to put yourself into the mindset of someone who has had 5-10 pints and is watching the artist.

bonus point for:

a few we did:

Laid - James

Suspicious minds - Elvis

johnny b goode - chuck berry

cult - she slls sanctuary

killers - mr brightside

take me out - franz ferdinand

oasis - champagne supernova

just a few ideas - if you want to set yourself apart from the others, play well known stuff that no one else does - ie avoid all the cliches etc

good luck with it whatever you choose.

I heard someone do a blinding acoustic Johhny B Goode once - they did it as a slower country blues.

bonus point for:

Hit the nail on the head there mr sparkle.

my problem is singing, i have to find just the right tune with very little range. obviously changing keys is easy.

bryan adams did a cracking rendition of summer of 69 live but again i cant sing it and that David whatshiname who won american idol a couple of years ago did a version of livin on a prayer that had bon jovi wishing he could still sing like that

Im listening to some rolling stones at the moment and will definately have a go at some James later

Youtube is great as somebody esle has already done the hard work with alternative arrangements.

Definately need some 60's & 70's. One guy does Clout - Substitute with a female singer, very good, used to be a favourite of mine back in the day (with my flares and tank top)

What about a bit of Muddy Waters "Mannish Boy"?

There are several vids of 'live performance, but this probably sounds the 'best'! :yes:

x8LesTvNuaw

What about a bit of Muddy Waters "Mannish Boy"?

Great minds! :D

Mannish Boy

Mannish Boy

Had a good listen but its not doing anything for me im afraid. have looked at several different options but to no avail.

bad taste on my behalf obviously :joe:

Squeeze box is a definate though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well i went for it on Friday night - nervouse as hell but really got into it after the first couple and thoroughly enjoyed myself

I opened solo with The Dukes Of Hazzard Theme Tune - bit of a local joke. the mrs got up and did Easy, Valerie & Squeeze Box. I then utililised the talents of a young local lass, Sam, to do Mercy by Duffy,& Adele Make you feel my love

did knocking on heavens door with one of the locals playing guitar and me on vocals followed by i love Rock and Roll, Summer of 69 with 2 other guitarists and Sam, finishing off with a rendition of Proud Mary (tina turner style) by me and sam

ended up doing 4 of the above on sat night as it was sam's mums birthday bash.

happy days!

Well i went for it on Friday night - nervouse as hell but really got into it after the first couple and thoroughly enjoyed myself

I opened solo with The Dukes Of Hazzard Theme Tune - bit of a local joke. the mrs got up and did Easy, Valerie & Squeeze Box. I then utililised the talents of a young local lass, Sam, to do Mercy by Duffy,& Adele Make you feel my love

did knocking on heavens door with one of the locals playing guitar and me on vocals followed by i love Rock and Roll, Summer of 69 with 2 other guitarists and Sam, finishing off with a rendition of Proud Mary (tina turner style) by me and sam

ended up doing 4 of the above on sat night as it was sam's mums birthday bash.

happy days!

wow well done! bet you were on cloud 9 afterwards . well chuffed for you matey

no holding you back now!

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

Yup just been invited to a jam night on thursday and an open mic night on saturday

3 gigs in one week + disco stuff = a happy balance between work and play