Dj's United

Which Turntable Would You Recomend

Hello Everyone,

I am in a situation where i need two turntables to play vinyl records on a community radio program.I am buying them and donating them to the radio station.

I have spoken with the chairman with regards to what i feel we need, which is the technics sl1200 range. however the option is to try and get two used models for £500.

which direct drive turntable would you recomend?

what about stanton t62 or numark tt200, citronic pd-1,or kam ddx 800.so long as they fall into my budget of £500 i will be happy.(but i know they are not technics the godfather of turntables).

So please give me your advice urgently as i have the money already available to buy.

Or would you still recomend the used technics sl1200's.

cheers everyone

chris

Technics everytime, still the industry standard and will always hold their value, spares shouldn't be a problem in the future either I wouldn't be to sure about the others in that regard.

Thanks orbitdisco for your speedy reply.

I kinda guessed what you would say, but needed reasurance.

thanks

chris

I would think alot of the cheaper ones will be fine for radio work, the technics are a must for nightclub use due to their anti-feedback quality in the face of a loud PA, and their robustness in the face of drunk or drugged devil-may-care DJ's. I doubt you fall into any of these categories!

I use a Gemini PT1000 here and it performs as well as a technics regarding instant start and stop, ease of back cueing and 'holding' a record on slipmat and general audio quality (I use it on an Ortofon S cart); it has pitch control and quartzlock, cue light and platter strobe... though it is plastic not diecast alloy, and it needs to be on a nice sturdy table to avoid picking up noise from the floor.

The Gemini PT1000 and 2000 are sometimes called a 'poor mans' technics.

http://www.sweetwater.com/publications/sweetnotes/sn-earlysummer97/graphics/gemini-turntable.jpg

Edited by superstardeejay

If you can get SL1210's, then get them..

They'll hold their value pretty well, and if you're wanting to mix with vinyl, then they're really the only thing to go for...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

If you can get SL1210's, then get them..

They'll hold their value pretty well, and if you're wanting to mix with vinyl, then they're really the only thing to go for...

Cheers,

David

thanks gadget for your solid advice.

regards chris

I would think alot of the cheaper ones will be fine for radio work, the technics are a must for nightclub use due to their anti-feedback quality in the face of a loud PA, and their robustness in the face of drunk or drugged devil-may-care DJ's. I doubt you fall into any of these categories!

I use a Gemini PT1000 here and it performs as well as a technics regarding instant start and stop, ease of back cueing and 'holding' a record on slipmat and general audio quality (I use it on an Ortofon S cart); it has pitch control and quartzlock, cue light and platter strobe... though it is plastic not diecast alloy, and it needs to be on a nice sturdy table to avoid picking up noise from the floor.

The Gemini PT1000 and 2000 are sometimes called a 'poor mans' technics.

thanks superstardeejay for your advice.

it is appreciated.

regards

chris

thanks to all for replying to this post.I have now got hold of two technics sl1210 mk 2 with concord stanton stylus's for £350.which im well pleased about.obviously they are secondhand, not new, but feel like i have got a result.

what is the best cartridge/stylus to use with these babys?

regards

chris

• 1 month later...

i was going to say, before you added your last post!

the price on technics 1210's has plummeted in the last year or so, the "street price" seems to be around the 300 mark a pair, i was lucky enough to pickup a pair with scratch needles and cases for £300 which i was very pleased with!