Dj's United

Let me the first to welcome to the forum Rory.

This is a friendly place with a lot of knowledge in the various sub forums..

Where are you based?

Gary

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

We are here to Help

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Hello Rory, I've also just recently joined the forum. Even though I have some technical knowledge myself, having looked around the forum, there are definately some very experienced guys here with a lot of good knowledge and experience, sure you will find what you need :welcome:

hi ya guys thanks for the welcome im based in northampton town centre im looking to DJ in pubs and hotels and once i have my wings then maybe clubs.

Im working with a Mobile DJ of 20 years he does school discos weddings partys and hotels so im picking up all sorts of things and ways to do things.

I find this gives me the chance to use his equipment and learn at the same time while I saved up to buy my own kit but only really been started since Christmas 2010 about eight weeks experience so far but I have enjoyed it quite a lot let's face it we get to play all the good music as loud as we like with no neighbours banging on the wall but always had a passion for music even in my teens and I'm 30 this year and still running around like a teenager

Firstly, I think it’s great that you are working with an experienced DJ. There is a large amount you can pick up from reading books and forums, but experience is essential.

So here's my advice, for what it’s worth

The real money is in weddings and private parties. So learn what music is suitable for each age group, don’t get just play what you like. In a club or pub, you can try more of your favorites, and develop your “style,” but it’s the weddings that will pay for your gear.

Become confident on a microphone, don’t try to be someone else, be yourself. At a wedding be ready and willing to make introductions, and announcements. But remember a wedding is about the Bride, not the DJ, don’t talk too much.

Equipment is expensive, but get the best you can afford. There is a lot going on when you are DJing, so you don’t need to be worrying about your gear. There are many differing opinions on what is good and what is not. Listen to everyone who is willing to offer advice on equipment, but don’t just believe anyone. Make up your own mind, and then you will be confident in what you are using.

Most important – Whenever you are working, stay calm, no matter what is happening around you. Guest and patrons will be looking to you for a lead. And lastly HAVE FUN. If you’re having fun the audience will almost certainly be there with you, and after all, every gets into DJing because it looks like fun.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

i will admit to being a little bit mic sky at the moment although as with time and experience that will come to pass I'm looking to get experience in all kinds of aspects of the being a DJ the guy I worked with at the moment you didn't live kids parties and school discos as well as a resident DJ at Hotel that hosts a single thing once a month for a very popular datein site which a very good event I find them to be quite fun although he have the option to an alcoholic drink and never will I think drinking on the job is very unprofessional and and I can concentrate properly anyhow if the other DJs from Northampton that wouldn't mind showing me the ropes it would be greatly appreciated as more experience I gained more confident I'll be come