Dj's United

Hello Everyone,

I had the miss fortune that some neanderthal spilt a pint of larger down the back of my speaker.during the evening it smelt of burning, eventually sounding distorted, then silent.I feared the worst; that it was badly damaged.

I opened the speaker up next day after being next to a radiator in the house which was on.and found that where the cross over board was attatched to the cabinet was brown stained.I set up the equipment and it worked fine again.

So i guess my question is what should i do?

should i replace the cross over board with a new one?

should i clean the board with something?

should i replace the components on the cross over board?

should i do nothing?

look forward to your comments and thanks

regards

chris

Edited by superstardeejay

First I would edit your post to remove the swearing, the forum really frowns on it as most sections are open to the public.

I'm no electronics expert but it seems most likely that the lager was gradually absorbed into the components which led to the gradual loss and ultimate total failure of signal.

Although it may now seem fine I would have thought the components are permanently damaged. A beer shampoo can't have done them any good and there's every chance the problem will re-occur when you are driving the crossover hard.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and component identification then personally I would look at the cost of replacing every component on the board against the cost of just replacing it altogether. I certainly wouldn't run the risk of being in the middle of a wedding and losing one of my speakers.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I would remove the board and examine it under a good light to check for signs of stress. You say it works ok now, so it may just have been the damp that affected it, the amp wouldn't like it.

Wash the board in hot soapy water & a paintbrush, rinse with clean warm water then leave in the airing cupboard for a couple of days or in a low oven (leave the door ajar) for an hour or so. Dont rely on a hairdryer, it won't get rid of damp that is trapped under and inside coils etc.

Beer in particular tends to leave a sticky residue that is rather acidic and will slowly rot the copper if it's ignored.

Thanks for your replys superstardeejay & fester.

the boards transistor has leaked and the board has blown & expanded.

I can replace the transistor, and capacitors, and bridge the board as a secondary measure.

I have contacted where i purchased them from 3 years ago for a replacement,but to date am still waiting for a reply.

again thanks

Like the other two posters, I don’t have any electronics expertise (other than 25 years on the road!) However I think I must emphasize what Fester say’s:- “I certainly wouldn't run the risk of being in the middle of a wedding and losing one of my speakers.”

So my advice would be

Get a professional to test the speaker

Or

Make sure you are carrying a back-up to the next few events, just in case.

Personally, without an expert looking at the speaker, I would not rely on it again. Sorry this might not be what you want to hear.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

Like the other two posters, I don’t have any electronics expertise (other than 25 years on the road!) However I think I must emphasize what Fester say’s:- “I certainly wouldn't run the risk of being in the middle of a wedding and losing one of my speakers.”

So my advice would be

Get a professional to test the speaker

Or

Make sure you are carrying a back-up to the next few events, just in case.

Personally, without an expert looking at the speaker, I would not rely on it again. Sorry this might not be what you want to hear.

thanks for reply derek paul,i always carry backup speakers, amp, mixer and cd players ...just in case, i leave them in the van.

the speaker in question is passive (no amp built in).

i have run the speaker since repair for 6 hours with no problems in a test envioroment. the manufactuer has not come back to me with a replacement board, so that may be a dead end.

i always carry backup speakers, amp, mixer and cd players ...just in case, i leave them in the van.

i have run the speaker since repair for 6 hours with no problems in a test envioroment. the manufactuer has not come back to me with a replacement board, so that may be a dead end.

There is nothing like the “real” environment to test a piece of gear. If you have run it for 6 hours at home, I might now take it out and use it for a gig. Maybe have the back-up speakers plugged in ready to go, for the next few gigs, (I know more work :( ). If it work without a problem, you’re good, and you might have saved a bundle :D . As I said more work, but cash in your pocket, sound like a fair trade to me .

Good luck, hope it works out, and watch out for neanderthal with a pint, there everywhere :funjokeandlaugh:

Edited by Derek Paul

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com