Dj's United

Should Recommendations Be Paid For?

You tell me?

The way I read it was that you were making a point out of having to pay for the recomendations (without gurantee of making a booking) not actual bookings.

Edited by Wayno

Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection one can get blinded by size.

If you believe you can acheive.

Add life to your days not days to your life.

[/url][/img]

Basically it's a backhander! I don't like the practice at all, if another DJ offers them more of a cut they're likely to drop you in favour of them. And I wonder if it goes through the books or straight into a back pocket - does anyone who has to do this get a receipt?

As I have said earlier, this could be viewed as a backhander, but it could also be seen as an agent’s fee. If someone is finding work for you, they can be considered an agent of sorts. However if the venue is doing nothing for the fee (i.e. not promoting you to their clients) it is a backhander. I have never liked the practice, but at some venues it’s the only option. Where a venue pays me, I charge my set fee, what they charge THEIR client is up to them. On the odd occasion the client pay me, I have a higher fee to include the “agent’s fee” and in every case I pay the fee by check, there by keeping a record.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

You tell me?

The way I read it was that you were making a point out of having to pay for the recomendations (without gurantee of making a booking) not actual bookings.

A recommendation that doesn't result in a booking is worthless, meaning no payment is justified, not least bearing in mind that the operator has to do all the work of visiting the client, issuing contracts etc.