Dj's United

Depends on the firmware version.

The original ones aren't, you need a Martin controller type 2308, this is the one with the little joystick and touch sensitive buttons. You can buy them from the usual second hand sources quite cheaply. Other RS485 controller will work but this is the easiest to use.

This is because they use the Martin RS485 protocol which is a forerunner of DMX512.

I think a firmware upgrade was available but you'd have to check with Martin by looking at the Eprom number.

Which Robozap are you talking of, I believe there were at least two types. Only asking because I had one in the UK (c. 1995), and recently got one used here in the States, (Just to play with :D )

I have intended plugging it in to a Freekie or Lightjocky at some point. I did read that on some early Martin 512 fixtures, the DMX pins are reversed. Could that be correct?

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

There were at least 3 versions of the robozap; the original halogen type with 2 x 250W dichroics, fixed gobos (you rotated them by hand!) then a modified version with different mirrors and different preheat circuit; then the MSR1200 with discharge lamp; then the synchrozap with 2 drums and MSD250 lamp. Only the synchrozap is DMX compatible out of the box. The others say 'DMX512 compatible with Martin interface' in the manual which is misleading because what that means is you have to buy the expensive converter module from Martin and that will 'translate' the DMX from your desk into RS485 for the fixture.

Some of this age of fixture (mainly the scanners) had a firmware change/upgrade which made them dmx compatible, I doubt the old robozap had that but a call to Martin might sort it if anyone there remembers them.

The basic robozap will work in stand-alone mode by flicking certain dip switches but they dont synchronise.

The original zap was great if kept clean but they ran hot, had short-lived expensive 120V halogen lamps (when 1 blew, it usually took the other), and soon got dirty due to the high speed fans needed to cool them. The preheat board used to overheat (!) and components could melt out of them, robbing it of preheat and making the lamp life very short indeed.

The Synchrozap QX250 had the MSD250 lamp in which was expensive to replace and gradually dimmed as it got older., though with a new lamp lamp in, looked great.

Early Martin controllers have the DMX pins reversed compared to most other lights, the early fixtures that were RS485/DMX512 compatible had their pins reversed so they could be plugged into a martin controller without reversing anything, and later non RS485-compatible full-DMX Martins have the DMX the 'right' way round.

:wacko:

Edited by superstardeejay

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Now I am really confused, LOL.

Actually, that’s some really great info, I have copied and printed it to keep, (hope you don’t mind). I have had some very good experiences with Martin, some great units while in the UK. Now U.S. based I still have MX4’s and a Smartmac.

Now if I could only figure out my Robocolor Mobile II’s :wacko:

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com