Dj's United

Powered Monitor Speakers

Hi guys & gals,

I am looking for a decent pair of powered speakers for home / Studio - very tight budget so looking at the second hand route.

Happen to be browsing in the local Cash Converters store and the have several pairs of Intimidation XS5 speakers

like these

for £170 however the salesperon reckons the manager can get do a discount..

My knowledge of powered speakers is nil. i have always been passive.

- Are they any good? anyone used these or similar?

- i noticed that both speakers were powered? is that right - i was presuming one would be powered and the other connects to the powered?

- Being 2nd hand is also a worry - are these type of speakers generally reliable?

Cheers

Steve

oohh

I suppose it depends what you want to use them for! Are you listening to cds, remastering the Royal Philharmonic's rendition of 'Agga Doo' or adding them to your home cinema system?

Most of these powered monitors have an amp in each cabinet.

I suppose it depends what you want to use them for! Are you listening to cds, remastering the Royal Philharmonic's rendition of 'Agga Doo' or adding them to your home cinema system?

Most of these powered monitors have an amp in each cabinet.

I just want a decent good sounding speakers which i can use for my home media (Music) system -

I have various 5.1 powered systems (from the likes of creative etc) but wanted to go one step further in terms of sound quality and loudness!!

I have some decent home amps but i really want to do away with the amps and have a powered speaker solution.

(HTFR for example always have a big section on "Powered monitor speakers" - which has always interested me)

oohh

Well i purchased them today (got them down to £150 for the pair).

(I struggled to find any reviews on line - i gave up after page 6 of google results)

Very very impressed, lovely clear proper & decent sound with great bass, very loud and they look good.

The whole 2nd hand cash converter thing is a bit of a worry but fingers crossed.

My only gripe is that i have to use two power leads/plug sockets to power the thing/s which may seem a bit over the top for home use!

oohh

My only gripe is that i have to use two power leads/plug sockets to power the thing/s which may seem a bit over the top for home use!

That is one of the problems with powered speakers. I have both powered and un-powered, which I use for different events. They both have strengths and weaknesses, but for large events give me separate amps every time.

Back to the subject, I’m pleased the speakers worked out for you, it's always worrying buying used.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

Well i purchased them today (got them down to £150 for the pair).

(I struggled to find any reviews on line - i gave up after page 6 of google results)

Very very impressed, lovely clear proper & decent sound with great bass, very loud and they look good.

The whole 2nd hand cash converter thing is a bit of a worry but fingers crossed.

If you think they're good you should check out the Yamaha HS80M, now they're REAL studio monitors, the Intimidation ones are pretty crap i'mn affraid to say. I used to have a professional commercial recording studio for 4 years and made dance music. I used quite a few monitors in my time, like the Macvkie HR824mk1, Dynaudio BM15A, Mackie HR624mk1, Alesis M1 Actives mk2 and KRK RP6. Using studio monitors for dj'ing at home is great because studio monitors generally have a more linear frequency response and are generally more accurate than hi-fi so you can more clearly hear details in mixes, songs, movie soundtracks, you name it, that are masked by dips and peaks in the frequency response of hi-fi and less accurate speakers. This means that you can more clearly hear when basslines of two records are clashing and more clearly hear when beats are drifting. This makes beat matching a lot easier.

If you think they're good you should check out the Yamaha HS80M, now they're REAL studio monitors, the Intimidation ones are pretty crap i'mn affraid to say. I used to have a professional commercial recording studio for 4 years and made dance music. I used quite a few monitors in my time, like the Macvkie HR824mk1, Dynaudio BM15A, Mackie HR624mk1, Alesis M1 Actives mk2 and KRK RP6. Using studio monitors for dj'ing at home is great because studio monitors generally have a more linear frequency response and are generally more accurate than hi-fi so you can more clearly hear details in mixes, songs, movie soundtracks, you name it, that are masked by dips and peaks in the frequency response of hi-fi and less accurate speakers. This means that you can more clearly hear when basslines of two records are clashing and more clearly hear when beats are drifting. This makes beat matching a lot easier.

Compared to what i had and what i got for them (literally trading in a few old mobile phones at Cash Convertors) i am very happy..

I'm not using them for Monitoring purposes - literally for a decent sound out of my home media player.

I am very impulsive - I know if i had taken more time researching and waiting for bids etc on ebay i could have found something a lot better ( I see the HS80M on google is around £195 B stock for instance).. (*edit Just checked again and that was for 1!) My life is one big budget at the moment!

plus i did manage to find one mention of these speakers yesterday (on page 9 off a google search) - and the only feedback was "Don't Touch Intimidation products" lol!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by stardust

oohh

That's good advice because Intimidation gear in my personal opinion is *********. The Yamaha HS80M at £195 is priced each monitor, not a pair, but they're excellent monitors for their price really, and easily good enough to be used for serious music production if you've got adequate acoustic material on the walls of your studio. Well i'm happy that you're happy with your Intimidation monitors, if you ever need anymore help choosing any monitors, don't be affraid to ask and i'll help out wherever I can.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

intimidation are just badged up products, so you are unlikely to find many reviews of this product, but its identical to the ones Citronic do, which i rate quite highly as Monitors.

often with cash converters etc, if they have several of the same product, its usually because theyve bought a "job lot" of b grade ones direct from the manufacturer, not necessarily traded in! The local cash converter has boxes of Kam Star Clusters!