Dj's United

hi all ,

ive been a club dj for many years and have just gone solo into mobile world, everything has always been set up / done for me and to tell you the truth i aint got a clue about setups, so for so good though with getting speakers / lights / decks ect. problem is i aint got a clue which amp to buy ( one as a mai and one as a cheap/reliable back up)

i have bought myself pr15 peavey speakers with pole mounts and will be doing your usual mobiles for 60 to 150 people .

looking for a main amp for no more than £250 and a backup for about £100.

any advice for help would be well appreciated ,

cheers jas

A bit difficult to advise really, as everybodies expectations are different. Coming from a club background, don't expect the same league of sound as you had in the club environment from a pair of PR15's and a £250 Amplifier :D

The general advice is to choose the best equipment that you can afford, a sound system is only as good as the weakest (and cheapest) link in the chain, so if you bought a £500 pair of speakers, a £500 Amplifier and then a £30 mixer, your sound system would sound like a £30 one, and the quality afforded by the two £500 purchases would essentially be wasted, let down by skimping on the one, equally vital, component in the system - in this case the mixer :D .

So in other words, when buying a sound system, try and buy within the same quality range throughout the entire system, don't be tempted to spend big on one component and skimp on the rest, because its just false economy and a potential waste of money.

For your £250 budget, really a Behringer Europower EP1500 or the newer I-Nuke NU3000 is about as good as it gets. Generally the EP1500 is a more tried and tested design and still seems to get a decent review from those who use them, the I-Nuke is trailing a little bit in relation to glowing reports, however its a lighter design (weight wise). Either way, £250 isn't going to get you an amplifier with 100% positive reviews, but the EP1500 is a reasonable amplifier, and perfectly usable.

Your £100 budget for a back up amp, probably wont get you more than a cheap PA amplifier, or something in the Soundlab 'Home' DJ range :D . With this budget I recommend buying a reasonably decent second hand amplifier from Ebay.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

nice one , cheers for your advice , would i be better spending £300 on a Peavey IPR1600 and would this be powerful enough for the 400w speakers ? as for a mixer i was thinking of a icdmix3 by numark and playing my ipad through them along with some cds , do u think this will be ok for 100 to 150 people gigs, i want it to sound good and be a lot better than a basic soundlab setup, cheers jas

A bit difficult to advise really, as everybodies expectations are different. Coming from a club background, don't expect the same league of sound as you had in the club environment from a pair of PR15's and a £250 Amplifier :D

The general advice is to choose the best equipment that you can afford, a sound system is only as good as the weakest (and cheapest) link in the chain, so if you bought a £500 pair of speakers, a £500 Amplifier and then a £30 mixer, your sound system would sound like a £30 one, and the quality afforded by the two £500 purchases would essentially be wasted, let down by skimping on the one, equally vital, component in the system - in this case the mixer :D .

So in other words, when buying a sound system, try and buy within the same quality range throughout the entire system, don't be tempted to spend big on one component and skimp on the rest, because its just false economy and a potential waste of money.

For your £250 budget, really a Behringer Europower EP1500 or the newer I-Nuke NU3000 is about as good as it gets. Generally the EP1500 is a more tried and tested design and still seems to get a decent review from those who use them, the I-Nuke is trailing a little bit in relation to glowing reports, however its a lighter design (weight wise). Either way, £250 isn't going to get you an amplifier with 100% positive reviews, but the EP1500 is a reasonable amplifier, and perfectly usable.

Your £100 budget for a back up amp, probably wont get you more than a cheap PA amplifier, or something in the Soundlab 'Home' DJ range :D . With this budget I recommend buying a reasonably decent second hand amplifier from Ebay.

I cannot comment personally as i've never heard or used the IPR1600. There are many conflicting opinions of the build quality and reliability of newer Peavey gear compared to their older, original stuff. That said, you will rarely find any amplifier in this sort of price bracket which has 100% positive reviews, nearly every amp from every manufacturer has their fair share of both diehard fan boys and hardcore haters.

Suffice to say, what is good to one DJ, may be considered crap to another :D , its largely personal opinion after all, on what exactly constitutes a good amplifier. Sound equipment tends to be a sensitive area with some DJ's, and a mundane topic to others!, so the best advice is to treat it like buying a car, and get a 'test drive' before parting with your cash. This way you can be sure that the Amplifier delivers exactly what YOU want, and will fulfil your intended application.

Asking for advice on the internet may point you in the right direction as to what to consider, but when reading the actual reviews for your shortlist, is probably going to leave you more confused and indecisive as ever, as you are just going to get a whole load of often different views all based purely on personal opinions, far better to try and audition the Amp(s) that you are considering somewhere, most DJ stores will let you take along your own speakers in order to Demo a product - if they don't or wont then just take your business elsewhere! :D

Edited by McCardle

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Thanks for your help, i never knew an amp could make a difference, i thought they just gave power and that was it and price was more for power or build quallity, defo will look more into amps online, cheers again jas......are peavey pr15s the best i can get for under 500 or am i worth looking more into that as well

I cannot comment personally as i've never heard or used the IPR1600. There are many conflicting opinions of the build quality and reliability of newer Peavey gear compared to their older, original stuff. That said, you will rarely find any amplifier in this sort of price bracket which has 100% positive reviews, nearly every amp from every manufacturer has their fair share of both diehard fan boys and hardcore haters.

Suffice to say, what is good to one DJ, may be considered crap to another :D , its largely personal opinion after all, on what exactly constitutes a good amplifier. Sound equipment tends to be a sensitive area with some DJ's, and a mundane topic to others!, so the best advice is to treat it like buying a car, and get a 'test drive' before parting with your cash. This way you can be sure that the Amplifier delivers exactly what YOU want, and will fulfil your intended application.

Asking for advice on the internet may point you in the right direction as to what to consider, but when reading the actual reviews for your shortlist, is probably going to leave you more confused and indecisive as ever, as you are just going to get a whole load of often different views all based purely on personal opinions, far better to try and audition the Amp(s) that you are considering somewhere, most DJ stores will let you take along your own speakers in order to Demo a product - if they don't or wont then just take your business elsewhere! :D

hanks for your help, i never knew an amp could make a difference, i thought they just gave power and that was it

Well basically they do, however some do it better than others and achieve a better level of quality, and lower level of distortion. Somebody on the forum a few years ago likened sound systems to cars. Compare a Fiat Panda with a Porsche, both will do 70mph but one will achieve it with more ease, a better quality of drive and with more power to spare than the other.

Get the best that you can afford, suffice to say that people will notice, and be influenced by poor quality sound before one extra less lighting effect for example, so if you can save money on something else, and put it towards your P.A budget, then you (and your reputation) is probably likely to benefit more from it.

I recently bought a pair of active speakers, Alto Truesonic TS112's. I settled on the TS112's which are 12" drivers because, surprisingly the bass is more tighter and better defined than the TS115's which use 15" bass drivers. Although they are considered mid-range buys, I am extremely impressed with them, and are far better than the Behringer's which I owned previously. They also offer a passive version for use on a seperate amplifier, so it may be worth checking out.

But I also stand by my original advice, visit a retailer or retailers, and actually audition several speakers within your budget and choose entirely based on your own ears!

Edited by McCardle

yeah good advice , think i will get up to glasgow and get them to get the speakers out for a good old listen...and get the amps out while they are at it, cheers again , you have have been very helpful and its appreciated all the best jason

Well basically they do, however some do it better than others and achieve a better level of quality, and lower level of distortion. Somebody on the forum a few years ago likened sound systems to cars. Compare a Fiat Panda with a Porsche, both will do 70mph but one will achieve it with more ease, a better quality of drive and with more power to spare than the other.

Get the best that you can afford, suffice to say that people will notice, and be influenced by poor quality sound before one extra less lighting effect for example, so if you can save money on something else, and put it towards your P.A budget, then you (and your reputation) is probably likely to benefit more from it.

I recently bought a pair of active speakers, Alto Truesonic TS112's. I settled on the TS112's which are 12" drivers because, surprisingly the bass is more tighter and better defined than the TS115's which use 15" bass drivers. Although they are considered mid-range buys, I am extremely impressed with them, and are far better than the Behringer's which I owned previously. They also offer a passive version for use on a seperate amplifier, so it may be worth checking out.

But I also stand by my original advice, visit a retailer or retailers, and actually audition several speakers within your budget and choose entirely based on your own ears!

ps...i like the look of the ts112 speakers , would i get away using these with 150 folk in the room and do you use subs with them or can you get decent sound using them on there own

yeah good advice , think i will get up to glasgow and get them to get the speakers out for a good old listen...and get the amps out while they are at it, cheers again , you have have been very helpful and its appreciated all the best jason

+1 to McCardle, I really like the Alto's too. I've been seriously thinking of getting some myself. For the price I am amazed by them.

Regarding using them for 150 people, well that opens a whole can of worms.

If you love it really loud with the kind of pounding bass that gives you brown trousers then I would say no. If you plan on playing dubstep or drum and bass then i'd say no.

If you really don't care too much about rattling glasses off the tables and you aren't planning on trying to deafen everyone then yes, you'd get away with a pair of 12's.

What you don't want to end up doing is trying to get more volume and/or bass out of a system than it is capable of producing, that leads to the horrible harsh sound you often get at a disco, and it also leads to over-driven speakers/amps and something going up in a cloud of smoke.

I think DJ's often fall into the idea that a mobile gig has got to sound like your in Pacha when in reality all you really need is enough volume on the dancefloor to dance to. A typical gig will be full of people wanting to talk so a 6K rig won't do you any favours when Aunty Doris comes over complaining she can't talk and it's making her hearing aid whistle :-D

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

ps...i like the look of the ts112 speakers , would i get away using these with 150 folk in the room and do you use subs with them or can you get decent sound using them on there own

As per the advice above, it depends entirely on your average 'gig' and the type of functions you intend to do. If you do lots of 18th Birthdays and Prom Nights for mainly young age groups then no, you will need either a bigger system or more sound reinforcement consisting of subs, larger main speakers and more power although you have more chance of winning the lottery than doing all of that with one pair of speakers and a £250 budget. If you are just starting out, the best thing to do is to start small and put the initial profit from the business back into building up a larger system as you go along, then you do have a system to cope for then the bigger functions come in. In the meantime if anything larger does come in, then perhaps you can hire from another DJ locally - quite a few DJ's offer this service, check out their websites and the Yellow Pages. Either way don't forget to factor in this extra cost if / when it is required.

For most Weddings for example in a modern venue, you'll be reasonably ok, but if you start doing large halls with high ceilings and lots of people then you'll really struggle on the budget you have to achieve the type of system you'll (eventually) need.

Then again, I did a recent Wedding where one guest (determined to enjoy herself :D ), plonked herself down in the dancefloor section of the room and proclaimed in an angry voice to her tired looking husband about how loud it was......I was playing background music at the time. Since she clearly intended me to here her comment from her table 15 feet away in a room filling with people, it obviously wasn't that loud! :D

One of the biggest differences between working a club and mobile work, is that people set out to go to a club and pay on the door fully knowing and expecting music and dancing all night. In comparison, many guests at family type functions are often there purely out of invitation and politeness to the host, and may not choose to visit a disco under their own steam on their Saturday nights. I'm sure we've all had family functions ourselves where our prayers for illness (or a last minute gig) haven't been answered, and grudgingly we've had to attend - therefore we should show some sympathy and mercy to those in our audience who are in the same situation :D . Its actually quite an achievement in itself at the end of the night to change the opinions of the occasional die hard 'Anti DJ' guest who may attend a function where we are booked, when they admit that it actually wasn't as bad as they had imagined and they still had their hearing!.

If you do Weddings and such 'mixed' aged events, all you can do is to try and make it as comfortable for everybody as possible. Try and create an environment where your highest volume is around the dancefloor, and you still maintain a reasonably quiet zone, usually around the bar or seating areas so people can talk to each other if they choose, yet still hear announcements and the earlier speeches. Depending on the type of venue this isn't easy, but its an art form which will eventually come with experience :Thumbup:

Edited by McCardle

Hi and welcome to the mobile world.

sounds like i have the same speakers as you,when i got mine i gat a kam kxr2000 works like a dream £270ish on e-bay.

Thanks barry.

chees for the help and advice guys... experience is the best advice i could take.

i heard the Alto Truesonic TS115 and the peavey pr15s today ... they both sounded good , the altos are a lot cheaper ..... any advice on what i should buy ????

yeah... was thinking the same , for the money the look like a bargain , was well impressed with the sound they gave off, guy in shop showed the 12s and 15s working at the same time and was well amazed...might just get them both... cheers

I would honestly take the Alto's over the Peaveys any day of the week.

The alto's are fantastic speakers for the money.

Ditto :D

guy in shop showed the 12s and 15s working at the same time and was well amazed...might just get them both.

Good Call. This would mean you could use the 12's for smaller gigs, the 15's for medium gigs, and both sets for marquee's and very large venues or those with difficult accoustics.

At this stage, its far better to throw money at your soundsystem, because everybody notices poor, distorted or inadequate sound, its basically a big chunk of any DJ's reputation. A reasonable investment at this stage, will assure you a decent flexible sound system, and one which will leave your clients remembering you for the right reasons, rather than the wrong ones :D

The ALTO's are a good buy, certainly they give a decent, clean sound without costing a small fortune. For me, they were the best option in this price range, and its not a decision i've regretted.

yep ..thats my thinking with these and thank god for this site as its helped me big time..... one last thing ... am i better to go with the passive or amped version ? not sure whats best , is it possible for all 4 amped ones blowing at the same time?

Personal preference I suppose. Lots of DJ's seem to prefer active nowadays, means you don't have to lug big heavy amps about, less kit to load in.

I still work with passives at the moment as i'm happy with my rig but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. It would certainly save me carrying 2 amps into the venue and a third backup amp in the van.

If cost isn't an issue then I would probably plump for the actives, although as I mentioned in the other thread I would go for 12" tops and some 15" subs rather than full range 15's.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

One bass bin in the middle certainly works, a lot of DJ's use one bin and hide it underneath their deckstand.

Personally I prefer the look of using 2 bass bins and 2 tops. (tops on top of the bins using pole mounts). Much more balanced sound, it also means you don't have to use any tripods (I hate tripods with a passion.)

I wouldn't use 1 bass bin with 4 speakers though, the bass will sound weak.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco