Dj's United

Outdoor Pa System - Advice Please

Hi Everyone

Although not really a piece of DJ equipment I am hoping someone will be able to help with advice on the connection of 100v Horn Speakers.

I have recently purchased a 4 channel, 120W powered mixer and 8 weatherproof high output horn speakers (15w speakers).

The full spec can be seen here: Full Spec

I will attach photo of the rear of the speakers below.

The problem I have is I have no clue as to what the 'tap' settings on the rear of the speakers should be!

I have no problem with the setting up of the amp and proper wiring of the speakers.

So, if anyone is able to advise, I would really like to know the settings for 4 and 8 speaker connections.

Many thanks

Frank

Hi,

To save me typing out a lengthy reply, have a look at this page here (clicky link)

It's really very simple.

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig

Thanks, have had a look at the link. This is one of many I looked through before posting.

I have no problem with the actual wiring of the speakers but in the settings at the rear.

As I understand it, 8 x 15w is the maximum number of speakers for use on a 120w system and depending on the actual number of speakers used the 'tap switch' is set between 1 and 5, it is this setting I am having problems finding.

Regards

Frank

Hi Craig

Thanks, have had a look at the link. This is one of many I looked through before posting.

I have no problem with the actual wiring of the speakers but in the settings at the rear.

As I understand it, 8 x 15w is the maximum number of speakers for use on a 120w system and depending on the actual number of speakers used the 'tap switch' is set between 1 and 5, it is this setting I am having problems finding.

Regards

Frank

Ooops, sorry Frank. I should take more notice when i'm posting :blush:

Yes, you're right, 8 x 15w is the maximum you should be running. The total wattage of the speakers should never exceed the output wattage of the amplifier on a 100v line array.

Regarding the tap switch, it simply "taps" the transformer at different points to alter the wattage of the speaker.

In the case of your speakers:

1 = 15w, 2 = 10w, 3 = 5w, 4 = 3w, 5 = 1w.

So you will be fine running all 8 of your speakers with the tap switch in position 1.

If maybe you wanted to add more speakers then you would need to alter the switch to whichever position suits your needs. Lets say you wanted to add another 4 speakers into your line then you would be exceeding the total output of your amp (12 x 15w = 180w), however if you reduced the wattage of your speakers to 10w using position 2 then you would be back to a total 120w load.

You can use the tap switches in any number of configurations, you don't have to run all the speakers on the same switch position. As an example, let's say you were hosting an event in a park. Maybe you would like more volume over the main crowd area, so you run that area of your line at full power, but then maybe you've also got a speaker in the cafe/eating area. You could reduce the wattage of this speaker down to a minimum.

I've just read that back to myself and it's about as clear as mud but I hope you get what i'm trying to explain :D

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Craig

:Thumbup:

Excellent, had my first 'gig' with 6 speakers at an outdoor Dog Show on Easter Sunday and just set the taps at 3 crossed my fingers and run away, had visions of melting speakers.

Seriously, thanks, I have spent ages 'googling' and although plenty of theory on wiring just could not get the speaker settings explained.

Case of McEwans with your name on it if our paths ever cross. :cheers:

Frank