Dj's United

Connecting 4 Speakers

hi all , just starting out and sorry if this sounds a bit basic, im buying 2 Alto Truesonic TS115s and 2 ts112s , the 2 15s will be on the floor and the 2 12s on pole mounts , my question is how do i get the 4 speakers playing at the same time ? do the 4 plug into 1 amp ? or is it the daisy chain effect, cheers for any basic advice , or maybe someone could show me a link to a basic how to guide

Okay, i'm guessing from the Amp reference, that you bought the Passive Truesonic's which run off a seperate power amplifier, rather than the Actives which have built in Amps.

Ok, so working on the basis that they are both running off the same amplifier.

On the back of each speaker are two black 'Speakon' Connectors One might be marked 'Input' and the other 'link' or 'thru'. Your amplifier should be fitted with similar connectors, one or two connectors for each Channel of the amplifier

You need 4x decent quality 'Speakon' to 'Speakon' leads, often these come in 1m, 2m, 3m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 25m lengths.

Examples:-

5 metre:- http://cpc.farnell.com/_/av21075/speaker-l...e-bb45-00001003

10 metre:- http://cpc.farnell.com/_/av21076/speaker-l...merch=true&

1) Connect one speakon lead between the left output channel speakon on the amplifier and the 'input' speakon connector of the left 15" speaker.

2) Plug another lead from the 'output' or 'thru' connector on the left 15" speaker, to the 'input' speakon on the left 12" speaker

3) Connect one speakon lead between the right output channel speakon on the amplifier and the 'input' speakon connector of the right 15" speaker.

4) Plug another lead from the 'output' or 'thru' connector on the right 15" speaker, to the 'input' speakon on the right 12" speaker

Don't worry if the speakons aren't marked with 'input' or 'output' labels as the connectors are internally wired together anyway, so they connect to each other and loop through to the other speaker.

This method is called 'daisy chaining' and is probably the most popular where speakers are located one under the other, as it cuts the number of wires running between the DJ console and the speakers.

Alternatively if your amplifier has 2 speakon outputs per channel (2x for the left side and 2x for the right side) then you can run speakon leads between each speaker and plug it into the amplifier.

So the two left speakers would plug into the 2 speakon connectors on the left side of the amplifier, and the 2 right speakers would plug into the 2 right hand side connectors on the amplifier.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

hi all , just starting out and sorry if this sounds a bit basic, im buying 2 Alto Truesonic TS115s and 2 ts112s , the 2 15s will be on the floor and the 2 12s on pole mounts , my question is how do i get the 4 speakers playing at the same time ? do the 4 plug into 1 amp ? or is it the daisy chain effect, cheers for any basic advice , or maybe someone could show me a link to a basic how to guide

The frequency response on both the 112 and 115 is all but identical so if you run both together, yes you'll get more volume but you won't be getting more low end bass.

Ideally I would say you would be better off getting the 112's and a pair of alto Tourmax sx Sub 15" bass bins. You can run the 112's on their own for small gigs and when teamed up with the sub15's you'll have a rig you can use for proms, big rooms, 18ths etc.

Regarding running them off one amp, yes you can but I wouldn't personally recommend it.

To run all 4 speakers off one stereo (2 channel) amplifier, you would run one 12" and one 15" "daisy chained" on each channel. i.e. Speakon lead from one channel on your amp into the input on the 15" then a short speakon lead from the output on the 15" to the input on the 12", repeat for the other channel.

Both speakers are 8 ohm BUT when you connect speakers in parallel like this it effectively halves the impedance so your amplifier will see a 4 ohm load. The 112's are 400w and the 15's are 500w. so you will need to make sure your amplifier can provide at least 900w per channel @ 4 ohms.

Running amps at 4 ohms makes them work twice as hard and get twice as hot so make sure you get an amplifier that is happy running 4 ohms.

Even better, get 2 amplifiers and run one pair of speakers off one amp. If the worst happened at a gig and one of your amps went up in smoke then you have a backup that will get you through the rest of the night.

Imagine running all 4 speakers through one amp and it pops? No backup = End of gig.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

cheers for the help guys..you have helped me big time , gonna go for actives as its all going in boot of honda civic with the back seats down so will cut down on space with the amps gone. will get 2 and see how i am for space and if i can fit in more then all good. cheers jas ....... light questions coming soon :)

• 8 months later...

cheers for the help guys..you have helped me big time , gonna go for actives as its all going in boot of honda civic with the back seats down so will cut down on space with the amps gone. will get 2 and see how i am for space and if i can fit in more then all good. cheers jas ....... light questions coming soon :)

Word of advice if you are using your own vehicle for transporting equipment to venues you must declare this to your insurance company, or if pulled by the police you will have problems with your insurance, as your only covered for social domestic and please mate.