Dj's United

As a resident DJ at a local bar I sometimes have to stream requests from spotify if I don,t have a particular song (Fullly paid up spotify ultimate), Question is, is it legal to do this or is it a grey area?

As a resident DJ at a local bar I sometimes have to stream requests from spotify if I don,t have a particular song (Fullly paid up spotify ultimate), Question is, is it legal to do this or is it a grey area?

In all honesty, I wouldn't be taking this type of advice (which if wrong, could result in large fines or convictions) from people on an internet forum - ANY internet forum. I'd want to make sure that the advice given in this respect was bulletproof in case it came back to bite me on the ar$e

So in answer to your question, yes it is very much a grey area, and even Spotify's own terms and usage policy are not 100% clear in this respect. So on this basis, I would be emailing spotify with the same question, and await their reply. I would also then keep a copy of the email, complete with the name of the sender on file, in case it ever came under scrutiny in the future

The email address for questions such as this would be

legal@spotify.com

Just make sure that you also mention the fact you are working in the UK, as our copyright and fair use laws differ vastly to those in the United States

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Just came across Spotify and must admit the songs I buy from the site can be a bit pricey but their are some good tracks out there, I think I paid about £9 for 15 tracks, the more you buy it gets a bit cheaper, interesting site but still finding my way around.

I would think that £9 for 15 tracks was good value.Tracks from iTunes are at least 79p and more often than not 99p,these work out at 60p.

I dont use Spotify for purchasing tracks but it is an excellent source for finding and listening to the whole track.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

I would think that £9 for 15 tracks was good value.Tracks from iTunes are at least 79p and more often than not 99p,these work out at 60p.

I dont use Spotify for purchasing tracks but it is an excellent source for finding and listening to the whole track.

Not a bad price, I have found a few songs I could not get elsewhere, few of the russian sites seem interesting and more than cheap.

Here's an interesting earlier discussion regarding Spotify here:-

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25512

It dates from 2009, so no idea if the various points mentioned still apply today. Have you heard anything from Spotify regarding the question you asked?

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Here's an interesting earlier discussion regarding Spotify here:-

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25512

It dates from 2009, so no idea if the various points mentioned still apply today. Have you heard anything from Spotify regarding the question you asked?

No reply as of yet, sent them three mails now,,

• 3 weeks later...

Just got reply to my question,,

"No, the Terms & Conditions that you agree to when registering for Spotify states that Spotify is for personal, non-commercial use." Bummer!!,,

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least you you finally got a reply, even if it took them the best part of a month to get back to you. I guess the answer to the question wasn't cut and dried for them either, and they had to go away and research it :wacko:

It doesn't surprise me really, given the ancient laws in respect of copyright and fair use in the UK, we seem to be lagging behind the rest of the world in evolving to reflect and embrace the digital generation

I wonder how many other digital download services exercise the same non commercial policies?

If you use Virtual DJ then get a premium membership for around £7 a month you can access their Netsearch feature. That gives you access to over 15 million tracks. You can play any song with no limits to how many you use.

Excellent for when you get an obscure request you don't have, or if you are just starting out and don't have a massive library built up yet.

Of course this demands a fast reliable broadband service is available, but it is a totally legal way of solving your initial problem.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk