Dj's United

Hi all,

Just a note to say "hi" really!

I'm a DJ based in Hampshire, so here's a little bit about myself.

I'm one of those "keep it in the family DJ's", I started going out with my Dad, who worked for a local, popular DJ in the late 90's. Had a great time being made to carry heavy gear at 10 years old and looking cute behind the decks, then going home and mastering my skill on my turntables in my bedroom!

My Dad was then involved in a nasty accident at his full time job which resulted in a broken neck... No more DJ'ing for him!

Fast forward 8 years later and I happen to bump into the daughter of the DJ who my Dad used to work for, we got chatting and she mentioned her Dad was still going strong and always looking for new DJ's to help train and get in the business! I drunkenly gave her my number to pass on to her Dad, totally forgetting about it the next day! A week or so later, I received a call from him asking if I wanted to Roadie that very night with him - I jumped at the chance! I roadied with him for around 10/12 gigs then was chucked out on my own to do a Christmas party for a 150 guests where he was a resident for 15 years! Absolutely loved it! I spent the next 6 years perfecting my skill to the best of my ability, taking note of the perfectionist that my boss was. Not a wire in sight, the best equipment set up in the right way. It had just been us 2 DJ'ing for his company for the last 4 years, we've had a great time; continuing the residency he had held for so many years, plus private bookings coming in weekly.

To cut a long story short, we had not only become great friends, but fantastic business partners too. In June this year, he was diagnosed with advanced Bowel Cancer. The day after he was diagnosed, he passed away in a hospice, with myself and his family by his side. It was an honour to be asked by his wife to be a pallbearer at his funeral and we gave him the best possible send off you could imagine, music playing long into the night at the venue we have been resident for so many years.

By his wife's wishes, we seized the current company, with another of her wishes, I have set up on my own and will carry on the current residency.

So, Smudger's Roadshow of Basingstoke has, rightly so, been put to sleep with Jon "Smudger" Smith and Fresh Records UK has been born.

I will be seeking, no doubt, for continual advice and tips etc so all help will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the long-winded story, but thought I'd get it out of the way!

Look forward to speaking with you all.

Nathan

Wow, what a great introduction :cool:

Its always interesting to read the stories of how each DJ got into the business, and all of the happy and sad times along the way.

Welcome to the forum, i'm sure you'll find lots of useful and helpful information. :D

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

One of the best introductions I've ever read.

Welcome along Nathan. maybe you'll be teaching us something!

Totally agree, great story and that’s the way to introduce yourself. I have been DJing for over 30 years (can't believe that), but I am still learning, so I am sure you will be teaching as well as learning.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

Totally agree, great story and that’s the way to introduce yourself. I have been DJing for over 30 years (can't believe that), but I am still learning, so I am sure you will be teaching as well as learning.

Thanks Derek, great website by the way