Dj's United

Wharfedale Pro Evp-x12 Or Rcl Cm1500

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbee and in need of some advice please.....

I am about to purchase some speakers and within a budget to start with, I have the opportunity of Wharfedale Pro EVP-X12's or RCL CM1500's... these are available loacl to me and for a good price.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice on which one is best for me, I do mainly karaoke with some D.J ing but only for fun and as a hobby, I would like to progress at some stage and ideally will upgrade my equipment after about 12 months or as funds become available ( you know how it is), I would say these will be mainly used for singing at friends parties and so on.

Anyway thats enough waffle... hope someone can help, I'm going to have a look at both today.

Many Thanks

Chris

I am about to purchase some speakers and within a budget to start with, I have the opportunity of Wharfedale Pro EVP-X12's or RCL CM1500's... these are available loacl to me and for a good price.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice on which one is best for me, I do mainly karaoke with some D.J ing but only for fun and as a hobby, I would like to progress at some stage and ideally will upgrade my equipment after about 12 months or as funds become available ( you know how it is), I would say these will be mainly used for singing at friends parties and so on.

I have a pair of Wharfedale Titan 12's I use for such occasions. Not sure how the EVP cabs compare, but the Titans are lightweight, loud, decent sounding, and come in at the same price as the EVP X12's.

Have never heard of RCL, but having searched them up, wouldn't touch them with a 10ft barge pole.

If these really are your only option, i'd punt for the Wharfedales :-)

D.

RCL have been around for ages, and I believe they are a spin off from Radio Components Limited, who made their name selling Electronic Components and Hi-Fi equipment during the 1970s. They used to sell their speakers through Terralec during the early 2000's, but not sure if this is still the case.

That said, their speakers don't have a brilliant reputation.

Either way, your sound system is only as good as the weakest and cheapest link in the chain and you often get what you pay for, and you should be aware that both of your choices are ultimately, only uprated nice looking hi-fi speakers with a bit of bluff and b/s, which is fine for the occasional karaoke and house party around your mates house, but will seriously struggle or soon die out in a professional gigging environment, where it will need to be driven hard and for long periods to get anywhere. If professional gig work is ultimately your aim, then you might be better saving up a bit more and going for the aforementioned Titan's or even Behringer Eurolive or even the new range of Alto such as the Alto TS115 (search the forum for reviews on these options)

Its good that you are going to audition both options, just make sure you crank the power and try it with the type of material you will be using it for, because anything can sound 'good' running at 20 watts in a nice warm studio type environment at a dealers, compared to a harsh environment on the gig and venue circuit.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Thanks for the sound advice guys....

I have held off from buying either at the moment, think I will have a better look around and I have arranged to listen to the Wharfedales again and play my own music which I am familiar with, I think your are both exacyley spot on...after further inspection and some research the RCL's had cheap parts and although looked impressive there was just something cheap about them and as per the avice, anything can sound nice with the correct level and music.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.

Chris