Dj's United

New to the site and just want to introduce myself. Just starting out having done a few disco's for family and friends. Based in Downham Market in Norfolk. I have DJ'd in the past at a time when CD's had just about replaced vinyl!! I intend to use music from a hard drive and have purchased a cortex HDC3000 to do this. Want to start advertising but not sure where to go next and whether i need PRS licence or anything else. All help or advice always appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum :djuhi:

In answer to your question about a PRS licence, no you won't need one of those unless you are working at outdoor public events, or are the promoter of / running your own open to the public bookings. If you are just going to be covering private functions such as Weddings and Birthdays in the local Hotel or pub function room or village hall where you are booked by clients, then the PRS and other Music licences are taken care of on an annual basis by the Council or Venue management for the premises, and they blanket cover every Entertainer working there. You don't need any PRS or PPL licences for the majority of Mobile DJ type work.

However you mention going to digital route, and if you intend on converting any original CD's or Vinyl to MP3 (or any other digital playback file type) then you are going to need a licence called 'Pro-Dub'

More info on Pro-Dub here:- http://www.prsformusic.com/users/recordedm...DubLicence.aspx

Note that the Pro-Dub licence only covers the actual process of conversion, in other words changing one format to another format, in this case ripping a CD to MP3 (or other digital playback type). If you purchase and download a digital track from a legitimate source and keep it in its original digital format on the laptop / pc or media player, or if you just continue to use original CD's and Vinyl, then you will NOT require a Pro-Dub.

The cost of Pro-Dub is £212.77 + VAT for converting upto and including 5000 tracks. This cost is a 'one off' in other words you pay £255.00 ish, convert upto 5000 tracks, and then provided you don't convert any more beyond that 5000, then you don't have to pay for it again. Its not an annual licence as such

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Hi and thanks for your welcome. I will have to look into the Pro-Dub licence as my hard drive already has around 8000 tracks on it from my personal collection, but i recently purchased a load of CD's from another DJ at a car boot which i would like to convert, around another 400 cd's!!! Look forward to asking lots of silly questions and helping out where i can also.