Dj's United

The Age Of Dubstep?

Hi all.

I was reading something on another forum I contribute to earlier where somebody had posted a comment saying that we were in the age of dubstep at the moment.

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on this one.

In my opinion, dubstep (or at least something sounding quite close to it) was around in the early 2000s and perhaps even earlier. Dave Pearce said that garage was starting to make a comeback on his Radio 2 show a few weeks ago and that got me thinking about that movement too. I think garage took off a bit more in the mainstream charts than dubstep has at this point in time.

However, I don't really think that dubstep is the dominant force in today's music myself.

Any other thoughts?

I can recall only being asked for it once, in perhaps the last 12 months. It would be interesting to see whether its region specific and more popular in certain areas than others.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

When dubstep seemed to be picking up pace I thought I may need a few tracks. As I know nothing about the genre I asked a DJ I know who is into garage/electro/d&b/dubstep. He knocked me up a few mixes of "commercial" dubstep.

I've been asked for it maybe twice in the last few years. Both times have been at 16 year old school proms. Both times i've played any it totally bombed.

The person who requested it whoops and starts to dance, then 5 seconds later when the dancefloor has emptied they realise they look like a tool and follow everybody else, leaving you with an empty floor.

Quick chop/mix out into something decent. :D

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I've been asked for it maybe twice in the last few years. Both times have been at 16 year old school proms. Both times i've played any it totally bombed.

The person who requested it whoops and starts to dance, then 5 seconds later when the dancefloor has emptied they realise they look like a tool and follow everybody else, leaving you with an empty floor...

Ha! That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I expect it is popular in certain regions as McCardle suggested but it's not something I can imagine being amongst the 'up to date chart stuff mate' choices that you'd go for at a usual gig.

• 2 weeks later...

When dubstep seemed to be picking up pace I thought I may need a few tracks. As I know nothing about the genre I asked a DJ I know who is into garage/electro/d&b/dubstep. He knocked me up a few mixes of "commercial" dubstep.

The person who requested it whoops and starts to dance, then 5 seconds later when the dancefloor has emptied they realise they look like a tool and follow everybody else, leaving you with an empty floor.

Quick chop/mix out into something decent. :D

+1 I have had this too, can't stand it myself but there are people who are really into it.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

• 4 months later...

I occasionally get asked for dubstep and I will play it if I think it fits in with what I'm playing but not many dance to it. Can you actually dance to it??

I used to be a garage DJ but for some reason I can't get to grips with dubstep. Every time I play it I get my nan's voice in my head saying "this is just noise, isn't it!"

I think I'm getting old...

DV Entertainment

35 Hollyford, Billericay, Essex, CM11 1EG