Dj's United

My current mic is a shure beta 58.Im thinking of upgrading to either a Neumann kms105 or Shure kms9 with external [power supply.My mixer is a denon dnc6k

Has anyboby tried these mic if so how good are they.Im looking for clariety of speech, with the beta it can sometimes sound boomy

Looking foward to your reply

I've worked with singers who used condenser mics for performance but I've not used one at a gig. I have tried some out though and know they're used in recording studios a lot.

It sounds as though you have the external power that I understand a lot of these mics need if you use them at gigs - "phantom power" sources. I've recently tried out the Sennheiser e865, which is a condenser microphone that looks more like a dynamic mic (I think it's trying the best of both worlds) and I was impressed.

I used a shure beta 58 and found it a bit heavy on the bass too so I know where you're coming from.

Mics are a personal thing but I've not been as impressed with Shure recently.

What I will recommend though is to take a look at the mics in the Behringer range. They do dynamic and condenser mics and I know that DJ Kit (as one example) sells them. I bought their dynamic ultravoice xm8500 because it was on offer and I fancied trying another mic. It ended up becoming my main mic because the clarity is excellent.

I've used sm58s, expensive audio technica wireless mics and an AKG mic that promised 'crystal clear' sound and I'd personally say that the Behringer ultravoice was the one that sounded the most clear. I've used it with other PA systems and it's always delivered on clarity.

I am a fan of Sennheiser microphones in general too. A nightspot that I did some work for had a top of the range wireless one a few years ago and had it not been so expensive, I'd have bought one for my own work.

I've now got a wired Sennheiser e840 mic too and I really rate that for clarity.

Happy mic hunting!