Dj's United

Compressor/limiter

Hi all, I,ve recently purchased a rackmount compressor/ limiter mainly to stop the screeching Karaoke singers popping my tweeters, Question is, how do i include it in my set-up, ?do I put the mic straight into it then into the desk or would I be better using the send/return option on the mixer? that way I could have compression on any channel as well as the main mic?

Depends entirely on the input / output flexibility and connection options on the actual compressor limiter unit. If you want to run a mic directly in / out of it, then it will need to have mic level inputs and outputs in order to do this properly. If it has mic level inputs and outputs, then yes you can put it in line, between the microphone and the mic input. If it doesn't have mic level inputs, then you won't be able to do this.

Most compressor / limiters work at line level (unless you have a more expensive unit with mic inputs?). If you have a standard unit which operates at line signal levels, then you will need to insert the Comp-Limiter between the output of the mixer and input of the amplifier, the drawback of this being that it will activate on the master output - i.e music and all of the mics will be controlled by it, and not just the mic channel, and this would also apply in relation to any send / return chain which was on the master channel.

If your mixer has individual send and return sockets for each channel, then it would be acceptable to put the comp-limiter on the send / return sockets for the individual Mic channel in question, and this would only then work on that one input, which would give the results you are looking for - protection only on the channel used by the singers.

Failing that, you will either need to get a Comp-Limiter which has Mic level inputs and outputs and fix it between the Mic and the Mic input on the mixer, or put up with the entire master output being controlled by it

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'