Dj's United

Why do you need to move the actual software installation?, surely that will stay on the main internal drive along with the operating system, it will be far more easier to just transfer the music files to the Ext Drive - using it for extended storage capacity, rather than trying to set up the software to run from there as well?.

From a personal point of view, I don't think i'd trust running the music files AND Software installation from the same external drive, if its USB there are just too many potentials for screw ups and glitching when both the software and music files are i/o down the same USB data lead, even on modern, reasonably fast systems.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

When you plug in the external hard drive, it will be allocated a drive letter (e.g D: E: F: etc) - which letter it actually gets will depend on what other devices you have plugged in.

Assuming the drive is empty and brand new, make sure that you format it

Note the drive letter which the external drive has been given.

Open the location where the files current reside in one window and then double click the drive letter of the External hard drive to open another window, which will be the drive space.

You can then use the copy and paste function to highlight and COPY the music files from their present location and then PASTE them in the window which is the new drive.

Or:-

Highlight all of the files in their current location, and then right click on one of the highlighted files and use the 'send to' function and then select the drive letter of the external hard drive. This will send all of the highlighted files to the new HDD

Moving many files may take anything from several minutes to several hours depending on the number of files which are being moved.

Once moved, you *may* need to re-associate then within Traktor, I dont use this software so I don't know, but some programs you need to associate files and their locations.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

One thing to note when running your files from an external drive on Traktor is that it will have to analyse them every time you put them into the deck, whereas when they are local it only has to analyse them once.

I went the way of external hard drive. Big reason for me was in case my laptop crashed. I couldn't face loosing the music I had on there so to me the extarnal way was best

• 3 weeks later...

I went the way of external hard drive. Big reason for me was in case my laptop crashed. I couldn't face loosing the music I had on there so to me the extarnal way was best

Your external hard drive is just as likely to fail as your laptop. I store all music files locally but have all files backed up on two sperarte external hard drives just in case my laptop is dropped, stolen or just frys itself for some reason. If you have all your tunes on an external hdd only i would strongly suggest buying another one and cloning the drive. External hdd's can and do fail.

www.tipperarypartydj.com