Dj's United

How Do I Prevent Beer Glasses Being Put On My Speakers?

Hello.

I use four speakers - two of which some gear is put on, but the other two are as is/bare with nothing on top.

As you would expect, many beer/wine glasses/whatever get put on them every week, empty and full.

I don't always have time to move the full ones quickly.

There has never been a bad spillage but that isn't the point.

Stands are not an option as these speakers are old and heavy.

If someone were to knock them over they would feel it and being heavy, are difficult to lift onto stands.

Also, placing lights on there won't worry - just something else guests FOH can touch/fiddle with.

Feel free to be creative here as I am good at DIY.

So far, I have:

* Put some kind of triangle structure on top of them. Something removable but fixed with velcro (speakers are carpeted so this is not a problem). Perhaps something made out of wood. You can't put glasses on a triangle.

* Use strong, corrugated cardboard.

* Soft Foam perhaps/likely with corrugation.

Any more ideas?

I've yet to think of anything which totally stands out and doesn't look too weird.

Actually, looking weird isn't that much of an issue.

Perhaps I could make this into something the really stands out and looks unique, but classy...

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

I had some stickers made for mine which basically just said 'No drinks please (unless you are buying them for the DJ) that worked reasonably well. However a lighthearted request over the PA the first time I saw somebody about to perch a glass on the speakers, did the trick for the ones who thought it didn't apply to them :devil:

Once the room saw another guest being lightly chastised over the PA, it generally got the message across and for the rest of the night it was never an issue.

Failing that, you could try getting some of that packing foam, that has little pyramid shaped cones on one side of it, and a flat base on the other, and place it on the top of the speakers using velcro.

Of get that stuff on a strip which is made to stick to the top of fences to keep cats off :D

If you get the fence stuff or the foam, you could always spray it black so it looks less out of place. But unfortunately anything which makes the top of your speakers an odd shape may look a bit weird, but thats the only way you'll make it less attractive for glasses to roost there!.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Aha, the age old question with no real solution! :)

I run 4 speakers at nearly every gig, my tops are pole mounted over my bins and like every other DJ I get the same problem.

My bass cabs are black birch ply so a few years ago I got the idea of adding a sort of false top on them, built as a slight slope so they wouldn't look too silly and painted black. This works as the drinks slide straight off.

Unfortunately it works too well.

The sloped top looked so integral to the speaker and the slop was slight enough that "well oiled" punters didn't notice and plonked their drinks on top as usual, then watched as they slid off and smashed on the floor. Or did the slow motion grab.

Same result either way, smashed glass, wet floor, wet speaker.

I have tried using scrims between my bins and tops which does actually work perfectly but i'm not a big lover of the scrim look.

I usually just do the usual and announce that my speakers aren't drinks tables. If they take no notice I move their glass onto the nearest table.

If I have the big rig out and take my roadie (6'5" ex bouncer), it really annoys him when this happens. A gentle growl in their ear usually cures the problem :D

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Cheers guys.

I have gone with the egg crate foam option which arrived today.

I feel it won't be enough so may have to angle the foam.

We'll see how it goes!

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk