Dj's United

Does anyone know if there are any smoke machines, hazers or foggers that WON'T set off fire alarms?

Looking to buy one to compliment my lights....

Last year at the kids christmas disco I managed to get the entire place evacuated with the help of a hired smoke machine. The poor kids had to stand outside in the pouring rain while the caretaker checked every room.

I wasn't hugely popular (must have done something right though because they want me back next month!)

Does anyone know if there are any smoke machines, hazers or foggers that WON'T set off fire alarms?

No, its impossible really because of the mechanism of how the smoke detectors actually detect smoke.

Most detectors are either optical or ionisation, both are designed to detect small particles in the air.

Smoke, whether from a fire and synthetically created by your smoke machine is made up entirely of tiny particles, the detector doesn't know the difference and triggers accordingly, as you found :D

Unfortunately you can't really create synthetic smoke without putting millions of those particles into the air, because thats what creates the beams which pick up your lighting effects!.

Some hazers put out a thinner almost optically transparent smoke, which when used with Ionisation type detectors can work ok in certain circumstances, provided you don't over do it. However it is a gamble even with the combination of a thin haze and a more sympathetic detector, and you won't know whether it will trigger unless you try it and then its 50/50 whether you'll evacuate the place again.

Sadly the safest way of not risking false triggering of a detector, is simply not to use any form of smoke. Some venues will actually forbid you from using them for the same reason.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

No, its impossible really because of the mechanism of how the smoke detectors actually detect smoke.

Most detectors are either optical or ionisation, both are designed to detect small particles in the air.

Smoke, whether from a fire and synthetically created by your smoke machine is made up entirely of tiny particles, the detector doesn't know the difference and triggers accordingly, as you found :D

Unfortunately you can't really create synthetic smoke without putting millions of those particles into the air, because thats what creates the beams which pick up your lighting effects!.

Some hazers put out a thinner almost optically transparent smoke, which when used with Ionisation type detectors can work ok in certain circumstances, provided you don't over do it. However it is a gamble even with the combination of a thin haze and a more sympathetic detector, and you won't know whether it will trigger unless you try it and then its 50/50 whether you'll evacuate the place again.

Sadly the safest way of not risking false triggering of a detector, is simply not to use any form of smoke. Some venues will actually forbid you from using them for the same reason.

Hi, yes, sadly nowadays we never get to use smoke or haze, despite the good effect on lighting as its either prohibited or risky, as you found out!

Http://www.discoinsussex.co.uk

Heart and Soul Wedding and Party Disco in Sussex and Surrey

Smoke, problem. Haze, not necessarily a problem, as long as the volume is kept to a minimum. (Look Unique fogger here).

And that's all that's needed to reflect light/laser energy, which certainly adds to the impact of lighting.

My Source Hydrahaze never seems to have a problem. Although I feel it is not powerful enough, and I have to have it set to running constantly. You can see the light beams where the machine is positioned. After about a meter from the lights it disappears. I have found this to of been the best option and have never set any alarms off using it.

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk