Dj's United

Hi all I'm a newbie so I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I'm unsure which turntable package to get...

1. Stanton T92 Direct Drive USB Turntable & Behringer NOX404 DJ Mixer with FX and USB Audio Interface Package - £587

2. Reloop RP-4000 M3D turntable & Behringer NOX404 DJ Mixer with FX and USB Audio Interface Package - £578

I am interested in turntablism and scratching as well as mixing. Now, I hear the Stanton's are very high in torque (what I would need) but they are 'plasticy' and I the RP-4000 are heavy duty. Therefore I am very unsure on which to go for, and I would like some advice please.

Stanton T92 USB

Reloop RP-4000

The mixer

http://www.djkit.com/images/products/Behringer-NOX-404.jpg

Any help is appreciated thanks guys!

P.S Sorry if links aren't allowed .

Regards,

Jake Bostock

Hi Jake,

Turntables are like choosing a car or fashion, everybody has their own tastes and personal preferences. Since you are interested in scratching, needless to say different turntables also have a different 'feel' and some are smoother and easier to use and operate than others.

In short, what might be recommended as being the best turntable for one person, may not suit you :D because everybodies tastes and what they look for in a piece of equipment are different.

So the main (and most important) question is have you tried / had a demonstration of any of these turntables for yourself ?, and if not it might be an idea to visit a DJ Shop and ask to have a demonstration so you can make sure that you like them before you buy them :Thumbup:

If you don't have a DJ Retailer near to you, if you buy them online you have seven days under the distance selling regulations in which to make sure that you are satisfied with your purchase. So if you do buy a set of turntables online and don't like them, you can send them back and get a refund excluding the postage cost. (You will will also have to pay the cost of posting them back as well)

But the best piece of advice really, is to actually visit a retailer and try a few turntables for yourself. Less hassle that way and you'll be making sure that they are the right ones for you.

Hope this helps.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Hi Jake,

Turntables are like choosing a car or fashion, everybody has their own tastes and personal preferences. Since you are interested in scratching, needless to say different turntables also have a different 'feel' and some are smoother and easier to use and operate than others.

In short, what might be recommended as being the best turntable for one person, may not suit you :D because everybodies tastes and what they look for in a piece of equipment are different.

So the main (and most important) question is have you tried / had a demonstration of any of these turntables for yourself ?, and if not it might be an idea to visit a DJ Shop and ask to have a demonstration so you can make sure that you like them before you buy them :Thumbup:

If you don't have a DJ Retailer near to you, if you buy them online you have seven days under the distance selling regulations in which to make sure that you are satisfied with your purchase. So if you do buy a set of turntables online and don't like them, you can send them back and get a refund excluding the postage cost. (You will will also have to pay the cost of posting them back as well)

But the best piece of advice really, is to actually visit a retailer and try a few turntables for yourself. Less hassle that way and you'll be making sure that they are the right ones for you.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so so much! I can really see where you're coming from. I will have to test them as you're right, I need to get the feel of them first. If it isn't too much to ask, briefly, which would you go for (in a turntablists perspective), higher torque but plasticy, or less ratings but heavy duty?

Thanks again!

Regards,

Jake

I've never used either of those on your list, so I can't really comment on the best out of the two of them.

Personally, I was a die hard Technics 1200 / 1210 user :D so if I was looking for a Turntable from another manufacturer i'd probably go for the one which most closely matched the feel and smoothness of the 12:cense: series.

If you are just using them at home, you don't really have to worry much about how plasticy they are, because you won't be chucking them in a car at the end of a gig. Nor do you have to worry much about the damping inside them or how good it is (The technology / balance weight that stops the sylus from jumping on a bouncy dancefloor :D )

Start speed is an important factor for what you want to do, although most Direct Drive turntables will start in fractions of a second. A decent Stylus and Cartridge should also be budgeted for. I used to opt for Ortofon in order to replace the standard Stantons which used to ship with them from the factory many years ago, but again its all down to personal preference.

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Tanks again mate!

Some specs this time:

Reloop:

Model 3 speeds, fully manual

Drive quartz-controlled HIGH TORQUE

direct drive

RPM 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM.

Start/Stop time < 1 sec.

Starting torque > 1600 g/cm

Flutter < 0.15% WMRS

Dimensions 450 x 352 x 144 mm

weight 9.8kg

Quarz-driven DJ turntable with high torque direct drive

Forward and reverse modes

Pitch range +/- 10/20%

Statically balanced S-shaped pick-up arm

Quarz lock

Connections for beatcounter and remote starter

Electronic motor brake

Shock absorbing feet

Wheel-away needle illumination

Speeds: 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM

Starting torque: 1600 g/cm

Dimensions: 450 x 144 x 352 mm

Weight: 9.8 kg

Extra heavy metal chassis with aluminium brushed finish

INCLUDING Ortofon OM GT cartridge, headshell & neoprene slipmat

Stanton:

Professional Quality Turntable Featuring High-Torque Direct-Drive Motor

Sturdy Construction for the Ultimate in Durability

USB and S/PDIF Outputs for Easily Transferring Music from Vinyl Records to your Mac or PC

Pitch Control Fader with DSP Key Lock (change tempo without affecting pitch) Selectable Range (+/-8%, 12%)

Includes Software for Transferring and Editing Music Files

Includes Audiophile-quality Stanton 500.v3 Cartridge Pre-mounted on Headshell

S-Shaped Tone Arm for Lower Distortion and Superior Fidelity

3 Playback Speeds (33, 45, and 78 RPM) and Quartz Lock

RCA Stereo Outputs (Phono / Line Switchable)

2 Start/Stop Switches for Mix or Battle Setup

Accessories include RCA Cables, Slip Mat, USB Cable, and Dust Cover

Better idea on them specifically.

On a personal opinion basis, the Reloop looks like a slightly better spec, and IMO cosmetically its a more professional looking turntable. But then again, you a buying it as a piece of equipment to use rather than something to sit in the corner and look at :D

Its also a personal thing but I don't like Blue LED's on equipment (as on the Stanton) , especially those such as mixers and turntables, which you need to look at for long periods of time and concentrate. Generally they are hyper bright, constantly dazzle and distract you and draw your attention away from whatever you are working on. They should keep blue led's limited to VW Dashboards and Xmas Decorations!.

Torque isn't that big of a deal, (its spinning vinyl and not towing a caravan), generally things like that in specs are just a form of marketing crap to make you choose their product and are just included to look good, but in real everyday terms are pretty meaningless as most direct drive motors are pretty strong and reliable and give an ample torque and start up time.

But seriously, don't just purchase the item that somebody else may say that they like and is the best, do yourself a big favour and try and get a demo of both of them, and then decide based on personal choice rather than a post on a forum, as the decision is yours and nobody elses. You wouldn't buy a car without taking a 'test drive' first, and the same goes double for choosing equipment like this, including the Mixer. After all, you don't want a mixer whose x-fader top goes flying across the room the very first time you do a mix!!.

Edited by McCardle

I can't thank you enough for your replies.

IMO the Reloop is my favourite in specs and looks, but I have found a DJ mega-store in Manchester which has both of them in stock. Therefore I'll probably pop along there and ask if it isn't too much to ask to have a test run on them. As I can always just say I may be interested in purchasing them from them in the near future ;).

Thanks a lot McCardle!

Any DJ retailer worth their salt will offer you a demo.

I haven't used turntables since I moved away from my old Cloud twin turntable console and onto cd's so i'm not much help here but like McCardle says, have a play with as many different brands and models as you can.

Equipment is always a very personal choice and you should never buy something from looking at a spec sheet, hands on experience is a must! :)

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Any DJ retailer worth their salt will offer you a demo.

I haven't used turntables since I moved away from my old Cloud twin turntable console and onto cd's so i'm not much help here but like McCardle says, have a play with as many different brands and models as you can.

Equipment is always a very personal choice and you should never buy something from looking at a spec sheet, hands on experience is a must! :)

Thanks Fester! Will do mate.