Dj's United

Active Subs - Compromising Sound & Weight

Happy New Year all!

2013 seems like the right time to get some more kit upgrading done, but need some advice.

I currently own two RCF 412A speakers (amazing!) and one RCF ART 705-AS active sub (the old one, not the SUB 705!) for gigs that need it.

As much as I love the sub, it's a bit on the weighty side. Some might argue that 37kg isn't that heavy, but nonetheless I need something that can live up to the sweet low end of the 705, but with a good few pounds less to move about.

On a £800-£1000 budget, my options seem to be to buy a new sub like the digital SUB 705-AS, which comes in about 5kg lighter, or buy two smaller subs to sit under each of my 412's.

I

I... hadn't finished writing!!!

But you get the idea - suggestions appreciated ;) cheersy!

Some might argue that 37kg isn't that heavy

37kg isn't heavy its not even 1/2 the weight of an average person, get yourself off down to the Gym :lol:

At the end of the day, decent speakers, especially subs tend to be heavy as the low frequencies at high sound pressure, means they tend to rattle themselves apart, or worse still vibrate themselves to the end of the stage before committing gig suicide off the end - been there, had that! tongue out icon

Yes, you can get lighter speakers but they won't be in the same ball park, and you may experience the issues explained above.

The only exception I can think off would be the Bose L1 and its Subs, i've only ever heard this system once when playing alongside a live band, and the bass was reasonable for what were amazingly tiny cabs. However they cost a small fortune and whether the bass would be enough for a recorded, rather than live music situation, I have no idea, as opinion and reviews tend to vary on that one!.

The other suggestion is the K-Sub by QSC, this has a 1000w RMS output, but is only slightly lighter at 33kg however it does have castors :Thumbup: . Again it comes with a £800+ price tag.

Finally the JBL EON518S 1000W Active Lightweight Subwoofer is about as light as it gets, although personally I feel that it won't be in the same league as any of the above, it weighs under 30kg.

Either way, I suspect the Gym membership will work out cheaper in the long run :funjokeandlaugh:

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year all!

2013 seems like the right time to get some more kit upgrading done, but need some advice.

I currently own two RCF 412A speakers (amazing!) and one RCF ART 705-AS active sub (the old one, not the SUB 705!) for gigs that need it.

As much as I love the sub, it's a bit on the weighty side. Some might argue that 37kg isn't that heavy, but nonetheless I need something that can live up to the sweet low end of the 705, but with a good few pounds less to move about.

On a £800-£1000 budget, my options seem to be to buy a new sub like the digital SUB 705-AS, which comes in about 5kg lighter, or buy two smaller subs to sit under each of my 412's.

I

I... hadn't finished writing!!!

But you get the idea - suggestions appreciated ;) cheersy!

I've got a pair of Peavey 15" Pro Subs and even at "only" 26.5kg they seem pretty hefty (although I have replaced the drivers with Fane efforts, which are a bit heavier).

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/folding-platform...3;1364549189510

Best thirty quid I've spent, and it folds completely flat too.