Dj's United

I Just Ain't Gotta Clue

Hi everyone

I am new to DJ's United so please be gentle I am starting up Karaoke Disco as a small hobby I recently Bought some great Speakers off Ebay. I need a great Amp to power them next..Would any of you guys be able to advise me what Amp would suit the job. Bear in mind if i am asked to do a pub or hall (not too big) I can be heard nice and clear. The speakers are IBIZA 3-way PA speakers (x2) Max input power is 300W RMS power 150W IMPEDANCE 8ohms

I have been adding on stuff as and when i can I Love Karaoke and looking at my next purchase of a Box light and Suited amp.

Please Advise :)

Regards

John

Whistling a Tune most people dance too

Hi, Welcome along.

When looking at and comparing Audio Equipment, always go off the RMS figure, this indicates what the speaker can handle continuously, and for long periods. Figures which refer to maximum values generally indicate the most power that the speaker can handle for extremely short bursts / periods - i.e seconds or fractions of a second.

There is also an old saying that your sound system is only as good as the weakest link in its chain, so for example if you had a £10,000 mixer and a £200 amplifier, basically the system would still only sound like a £200 one!. So it would be pointless paying £2000 out for a pair of speakers if you had only spent £150 on an amplifier, because the speakers would never get the full potential to sound like a pair of £2000 speakers should do - and vice-versa.

In other words, your system should be matched in quality / value all of the way through, and its safe to say that you should spend as much as is financially possible on the whole sound system, because basically your sound system is your business and your first impression. Its safe to say that Clients and guests probably won't notice one less lighting effect, but they certainly will notice distorted sound or music which is painful to listen to. So in your budget, make sure you get the best system you can afford, and you can always add extra lighting effects as you build your business.

I've no idea, where the speakers fit in the quality / value equation as i've never heard of the brand or the speaker, and so have obviously never heard them actually used in a professional environment either. A true test of a sound system, is in a large hall with wooden floors, high ceiling and lots of hard bodies packed on the dancefloor in front of them. All of these factors play a part in putting a PA through its paces, and you won't know how good it is, until its mated with a amplifier and has done a few different venues.

Unfortunately, 150w RMS per speaker, isn't a lot to play with, and will probably handle 50 - 80 people in a small village hall or local pub, but anything larger than that then you will struggle. Push a sound system too hard and you introduce distortion, so its always tempting to turn up the wick as the room fills with people, crank it too much and the system will 'clip' and this will sound terrible, so avoid any large events with 100+ audiences until a point where you can invest in a larger system. But from the sound of your first post, the smaller venue is what you are aiming for anyway so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I would recommend looking for an amplifier which delivers around 300w - 350w per channel into 4 ohms, which will derate slightly to give a lower value which is suitable for your 8 ohm speakers. Of course which Amplifier you go for depends entirely on your budget :shrug:

Something like these would probably fit the bill, if you are on a budget

http://www.djkit.com/american-audio/americ...er-channel.html

http://www.swlighting.co.uk/shop/kam-ampli...0w-rms-2600.htm

I imagine this is the closest matching amplifier to your speakers (as its made by the same manufacturer). However please take the comments I made above under advisement smile icon .

http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Ibiza-AMP-300-...-Watt_i2314.htm

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Hi McCardle

Thanks for your Fantastic and indepth feedback to my question you certainly answered my question. I am not wanting to set up in a too large Hall. 50 to 80 people would do me fine to be honest...I am only doing this as a hobby and if a friend wants me to do any parties or occassions i would like to say yes anything more would be a bonus.

Hifi tower is where i got the speakers from on ebay so it look like i will be trying there for my Amp

Thanks again

Kindest Regards

John

Whistling a Tune most people dance too