Dj's United

Advice Needed Please

hi folks

I am using an stk pro mixer amp at the moment and using virtual dj pro 7 through my laptop and external sound card and it sounds fantastic,so clear and shed loads of clear deep bass through my wharfedale evpx15's retro fitted with 250w jbl 15" cones, I also run a pair of stageline 200w 12" too for bigger venues.

BUT and the big BUT is one day it will fail and I need to have a good backup in place

so I have brought a behringer vmx1000 usb, and like a muppet thought an echo 1500 amp would be ok but

for one the amp blew within 5mins the replacement did the same but blew when I switched it on

not good

and the 3rd replacement made the house smell so bad of burning electrical I boxed it up and shipped it straight back to the retailed who just so happen to be electromarket.co.uk ;)

now I need a good amp to match the mixer and speakers I already have

I have around 250quid to spend but want a really good sound

help please

thanks

Nick

hi folks

I am using an stk pro mixer amp at the moment and using virtual dj pro 7 through my laptop and external sound card and it sounds fantastic,so clear and shed loads of clear deep bass through my wharfedale evpx15's retro fitted with 250w jbl 15" cones, I also run a pair of stageline 200w 12" too for bigger venues.

BUT and the big BUT is one day it will fail and I need to have a good backup in place

so I have brought a behringer vmx1000 usb, and like a muppet thought an echo 1500 amp would be ok but

for one the amp blew within 5mins the replacement did the same but blew when I switched it on

not good

and the 3rd replacement made the house smell so bad of burning electrical I boxed it up and shipped it straight back to the retailed who just so happen to be electromarket.co.uk ;)

now I need a good amp to match the mixer and speakers I already have

help please

thanks

Nick

At £250, not sure why you'd invest in anything from Electromarket!

I had a youth project with a tight budget, and we bought KAM's KBA amp series to run subs and tops - no problems at all in the past 3 years, and really take a lot of punishment for what we paid for them. I've even had an old KAM KDJ series amp, and 11 years on it's still kicking hard.

That said, if you're prepared to spend up to your £250 budget, look at Crown amps - for that money you won't get better; seriously good, reliable stuff.

p.s. for good sound you need flawless audio from source to output - that is essentially using nothing short of uncompressed audio files on your laptop, through to a decent DAC (better than what you'll find in any DJ mixer), into a well balanced amp, and ultimately some nice well spec'd full range speakers.

In the grand scheme of it, your amp won't make a wholly noticeable difference alone.

Anyway, as much as good sound is a great thing for us DJs who care about it, you'll find that most of the time the audience only care about whether its too quiet or too loud!

Well, you can either buy a mid-sized budget-brand amp new or a top-end brand second hand large amp at that price.

My preference would be a used decent solid amp with a proven track record such as an old Citronic, C-Audio, Crown, Crest, H:H, QSC or Yamaha.

As an example £100 will get you a C-Audio SR606 which delivers a consistent, genuine 600W+600W all night or a Citronic PPX1200 at a similar rating.

Do not confuse what a modern budget chinese amplifier implies it will deliver with what a classic british amplifier will actually give.