Dj's United

Light Recommendations

Hi, I looking for advice of what lights to buy, I currently have a chauvet 4play, and 2 other very old light which I am looking to replace.

Can people please give me some recommendations on what I should buy.

Regards

Chris

Hey Chris,

Without sounding to cliche, I find lighting to be something of personal taste, depending in your budget.

If you have no limit, get some moving heads; I have four Phantom 50 LED heads and use them as my 4 main fixtures, with two LED bars for some floods of colours.

I'm not into into the 'static' RGB LED lights that are taking over the disco lighting market, although that said I do have a couple of ADJ Mystic LEDs which are superb at filling the dancefloor (or ceiling and walls) with light - you can pick up a pair up for less than £200 now.

Again, it all depends on what you like, and what you can afford. Would suggest getting to a retailer if you can to look at some different effects.

Some things to think about would be:

what size of room/venue will you use them in? Will they be used in smoke/haze? Do you want lamp or LED fixtures? Do you need DMX control or just standalone effects?

Hope this helps,

D.

Hi

I agree it's a mind field. At the moment we are not looking to go down the moving head route as they are expensive and take up a lot of room (transportation wise).

I guess i'm looking for LED's as they seem to last longer than lamps, and would want dmx as I have nice dmx controller.

As for using them with smoke or haze, I have both but it's getting to the stage now where ever we seem to dj, they either have a smoke alarm or just ban the use of them.

As for budget, I guess I am looking for a couple cheap lights with good effects, or an med priced one, it's a hard choice as there are so many out there, and everyone has there own personal choice, and a lot of lights have good reviews and bad reviews, which make the task even harder.

We tend to DJ in different size venues, I hope this helps you and others recommend some nice lights

Chris

Hey Chris,

Without sounding to cliche, I find lighting to be something of personal taste, depending in your budget.

If you have no limit, get some moving heads; I have four Phantom 50 LED heads and use them as my 4 main fixtures, with two LED bars for some floods of colours.

I'm not into into the 'static' RGB LED lights that are taking over the disco lighting market, although that said I do have a couple of ADJ Mystic LEDs which are superb at filling the dancefloor (or ceiling and walls) with light - you can pick up a pair up for less than £200 now.

Again, it all depends on what you like, and what you can afford. Would suggest getting to a retailer if you can to look at some different effects.

Some things to think about would be:

what size of room/venue will you use them in? Will they be used in smoke/haze? Do you want lamp or LED fixtures? Do you need DMX control or just standalone effects?

Hope this helps,

D.

• 1 month later...

As suggested above, lighting is very much a matter of personal taste but it makes sense to invest in something versatile. I have to agree that, budget permitting, moving heads are a great effect to have.

A moving head can be used all night and, with the right control, can create almost any effect you like. First dance? simple, slow panning white beams. 70's disco? Easy, use 'em to flash primary colours spots like 70's par-cans. Modern dance? Go nuts with strobes, gobos and colours.

The best thing I ever bought was 4 ACME spot knights (I solution 4S) which I used as the centrepiece for my setup and found that, with the proper control, they never needed look out of place.

Just my advice...