Dj's United

I always used 18" Bass Bins in the 70s/80s - loved that amazing really low easy bottom end - to me that was the real disco sound - especially for reggae etc.

Do any of you still use 18s - I've noticed that there are 18" rigs for sale.

Any comments? :D

John

Technology has caught up and you can now often get the same tight thudding bass response from a decent 15" cab. I now use 15" and 12" Active Subs made by Alto. The 15" is just as good as anything I was using in the early days, and even the 12" is surprisingly good for the money.

I do remember owning a pair of SAI bins a long long time ago - real back breakers. It took three blokes to carry them any distance and a crane to lift them onto the stage :D

It seems a lot of DJ's are now using cars these days to transport their gear, which is probably why the really big bins of yesteryear have been retired to our memories.

Speakers have come a long way in the last few years, a bit like comparing car phones and the old nokia bricks to modern smart phones.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Technology has caught up and you can now often get the same tight thudding bass response from a decent 15" cab. I now use 15" and 12" Active Subs made by Alto. The 15" is just as good as anything I was using in the early days, and even the 12" is surprisingly good for the money.

I do remember owning a pair of SAI bins a long long time ago - real back breakers. It took three blokes to carry them any distance and a crane to lift them onto the stage :D

It seems a lot of DJ's are now using cars these days to transport their gear, which is probably why the really big bins of yesteryear have been retired to our memories.

Speakers have come a long way in the last few years, a bit like comparing car phones and the old nokia bricks to modern smart phones.

Thanks for your reply McCardle. Very interesting info. I plan to pop into Electromarket in Essex soon. They have a range of cabinets including 15" and 18" subs which are both surprisingly compact. Will be nice to hear an AB comparison.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...