Dj's United

Starting Out Speakers

Hi...

Im hoping to get my own DJ set up together soon so this maybe my first of many posts. I have DJ'd at clubs before with their own sound system but now I would like to go it alone.

I use Ableton Live and would ideally like to use active speakers as it saves using an amp. I will be playing in a room around 20 by 20 metres to possibly 200 people.

I'm looking at the Behringer Eurolive B215D 15" Active Speaker. Any views on if this would be a suitable model to buy?

Many Thanks

Hi...

Im hoping to get my own DJ set up together soon so this maybe my first of many posts. I have DJ'd at clubs before with their own sound system but now I would like to go it alone.

I use Ableton Live and would ideally like to use active speakers as it saves using an amp. I will be playing in a room around 20 by 20 metres to possibly 200 people.

I'm looking at the Behringer Eurolive B215D 15" Active Speaker. Any views on if this would be a suitable model to buy?

Many Thanks

Whatever speakers you buy its always best to listen and compare.

At the moment Maplins are offering the B stock AltoTS115A at a good price.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

Whatever speakers you buy its always best to listen and compare.

At the moment Maplins are offering the B stock AltoTS115A at a good price.

Thanks though it's quite likely I am going to have to purchase the speakers over the net to compare the sound might not be a possibility.

Would you say Alto are better compared to Behringer? They seem a similar price.

Thanks though it's quite likely I am going to have to purchase the speakers over the net to compare the sound might not be a possibility.

Would you say Alto are better compared to Behringer? They seem a similar price.

I have not heard either but the Alto range come recommended by someone I have every faith in when it comes to DJing.Can you not find a supplier that you can go and listen to speakers to compare.

Why not try joining other DJ sites and doing a search for speaker recommendations.

There is some very good advice to be had out there from other DJs

Try MJDF or Mobile DiscoDirectory

I have just been doing a little checking and the deal from Thomann for the Behringer is a good one.You get a 3year warrantee and the Alto are refurbished.

This is not a rehearsal

Just speaking with another DJ who was very enthusiastic about the Behringer.So I guess the vote goes to Behringer

This is not a rehearsal

Just speaking with another DJ who was very enthusiastic about the Behringer.So I guess the vote goes to Behringer

ok thanks for your help... regardless of the make and model do you think this size speaker would meet my requirements for the size venue i mentioned?

Looking on the Facebook page of MDJN the Alto is getting some good reports.That should give you a bit of a dilemma.

This is not a rehearsal

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't already bought your speakers yet, I would definitely recommend the Altos.

Maplins have been stocking them so it's worth a trip to your local store for a demo.

I've heard them and they sound very nice for not a lot of money.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

If you haven't already bought your speakers yet, I would definitely recommend the Altos.

Maplins have been stocking them so it's worth a trip to your local store for a demo.

I've heard them and they sound very nice for not a lot of money.

Thanks for all your help guys but I went for the Behringers in the end. I look forward to trying them out when I dj on the 29th.

I have bought a few lights but am wondering what else to get to complete my first lighting rig. I currently have

NJD Data moon

Kam Star Cluster

and am thinking of getting a smoke machine and some scanners is there anything else I should be looking to get ?

Thanks

Always go for symmetry and run pairs of lights or multiples. Pick up another datamoon and a dmx cable. Run the pair master/slave and you have a very nice little light show.

Scanner beams look great when you can use smoke but as most venues don't let you use smoke, you get very little light/coverage onto the dance floor.

It kind of depends on the type of gigs you aim to DJ, which lights I would recommend you look at.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

Instead of a smoke machine have you considered a haze machine

No I haven't what is the difference ?

Always go for symmetry and run pairs of lights or multiples. Pick up another datamoon and a dmx cable. Run the pair master/slave and you have a very nice little light show.

Scanner beams look great when you can use smoke but as most venues don't let you use smoke, you get very little light/coverage onto the dance floor.

It kind of depends on the type of gigs you aim to DJ, which lights I would recommend you look at.

OK cool I guess the gigs are going to vary so something that suits most would be good. Do I need a DMX controller to run a master and slave? I'm currently running them on sound to light.

Fog and smoke machines are the same. They spray the fog / smoke solution onto a hotplate. The fluid is vaporized and the resulting vapor is then pumped out of the machine. The vapor is typically dense. Haze machines or "hazers" operate in a similar fashion, but due to the specially designed fluid, the vapor is much thinner. These machines are typically used to enhance laser shows when the operator wants the audience to have a clear view of the stage or venue.

This is not a rehearsal

OK cool I guess the gigs are going to vary so something that suits most would be good.

In my opinion lighting is a very subjective issue. I might love something you hate and vice versa. Personally I totally hate all the LED "dotty" effects that so many DJ's seem to use nowadays, whereas obviously many DJ's absolutely love them.

Some of the newer high output LED kit is very, very good, with proper colour wheels and gobos but they are also very expensive!

Do you have a DJ retailer anywhere near you? You really can't beat having a physical demo of some different types of effects.

{quote] Do I need a DMX controller to run a master and slave? I'm currently running them on sound to light.

No, just link the datamoons together with a dmx cable. They still run sound to light but produce a synchronised / mirrored show which looks much better and more professional than having a bunch of lights all producing different colours, moving at different speeds, random strobing etc.

I've been trying to find some video of my standard rig with lighting running master/slave but can't find anything very recent. Have a quick look at this -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101516...e=2&theater

At either end of the rig is an EVL spin (or maybe an abstract xp5, can't remember which) with a pair of chauvet intimidator scans just inside and a vueIII (or maybe it was a revo4) in the centre along with an rbg laser. Each pair of lights was running master/slave.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

Fog and smoke machines are the same. They spray the fog / smoke solution onto a hotplate. The fluid is vaporized and the resulting vapor is then pumped out of the machine. The vapor is typically dense. Haze machines or "hazers" operate in a similar fashion, but due to the specially designed fluid, the vapor is much thinner. These machines are typically used to enhance laser shows when the operator wants the audience to have a clear view of the stage or venue.

Ah ok thanks . I've looked at a few haze machines and it seems they are rather more expensive than the smoke machines so I might just stick to getting a smoke machine.

In my opinion lighting is a very subjective issue. I might love something you hate and vice versa. Personally I totally hate all the LED "dotty" effects that so many DJ's seem to use nowadays, whereas obviously many DJ's absolutely love them.

Some of the newer high output LED kit is very, very good, with proper colour wheels and gobos but they are also very expensive!

Do you have a DJ retailer anywhere near you? You really can't beat having a physical demo of some different types of effects.

{quote] Do I need a DMX controller to run a master and slave? I'm currently running them on sound to light.

No, just link the datamoons together with a dmx cable. They still run sound to light but produce a synchronised / mirrored show which looks much better and more professional than having a bunch of lights all producing different colours, moving at different speeds, random strobing etc.

I've been trying to find some video of my standard rig with lighting running master/slave but can't find anything very recent. Have a quick look at this -

At either end of the rig is an EVL spin (or maybe an abstract xp5, can't remember which) with a pair of chauvet intimidator scans just inside and a vueIII (or maybe it was a revo4) in the centre along with an rbg laser. Each pair of lights was running master/slave.

Thanks for your help I know that all this is down to personal taste really...

I've just seen these on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130842606316?ssP...984.m1438.l2649 would these be good as a pair at either end of my bar? Or are they not a great product, they are a reasonable price.

They only have a 3w led source so they aren't very bright. Probably ok in a small room but your datamoon will totally overpower them.

The main problem is that in these demo videos they are shown in a pitch black room that is full of smoke. In practice you will probably be in a function room with half the venue lights turned on and they won't let you use smoke or haze. So all you have is a few dim dots on the floor, all the beams (which lets be honest are the only good thing about them) are lost.

If you are on a budget I would really recommend going for some decent 2nd hand traditional 250w halogen effects.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

They only have a 3w led source so they aren't very bright. Probably ok in a small room but your datamoon will totally overpower them.

The main problem is that in these demo videos they are shown in a pitch black room that is full of smoke. In practice you will probably be in a function room with half the venue lights turned on and they won't let you use smoke or haze. So all you have is a few dim dots on the floor, all the beams (which lets be honest are the only good thing about them) are lost.

If you are on a budget I would really recommend going for some decent 2nd hand traditional 250w halogen effects.

Thanks for your advice that is really helpful as I don't yet understand what is a suitable brightness for my needs.

If it's ok could you check out these links and let me know if these lights would be good to complete my set up?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181109103111?ssP...984.m1438.l2649

and two of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181037810785?ssP...K:MEWAX:IT&

_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Plus two stands and I will look to add another data moon when I have the funds.

Also some advice on where to position and point the lights would be fantastic if you have the time?

Many thanks

I've got a Lanta Nebula Hazer (not smoke) and it's been a very good machine. That looks ok to me but you will find most venues won't allow you to use smoke nowadays :(

and two of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181037810785?ssP...K:MEWAX:IT&

_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Also some advice on where to position and point the lights would be fantastic if you have the time?

Nope. Again, not bright at all. Rather than pay over £100 for a pair of something disappointing, why not spend £50 on another datamoon?

There are always plenty on ebay, like this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NJD-datamoon-/19...=item2c7496aa54

You'll soon pick one up at a good price.

Position of lighting depends on the type of stands you are using and their placement in the room. One thing to try and avoid is pointing the lights so that they shine directly into peoples eyes. I point most of my lighting directly onto the dancefloor. I offer moodlighting as an extra but even if I am not moodlighting the venue, I still often use 2 LED par cans behind my rig as a colour wash.

There's a photo here of my old rig, i've changed practically everything since this photo but it gives you an idea what I mean.

Losehill_Hall__2_.jpg

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

I've got a Lanta Nebula Hazer (not smoke) and it's been a very good machine. That looks ok to me but you will find most venues won't allow you to use smoke nowadays :(

Nope. Again, not bright at all. Rather than pay over £100 for a pair of something disappointing, why not spend £50 on another datamoon?

There are always plenty on ebay, like this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NJD-datamoon-/19...=item2c7496aa54

You'll soon pick one up at a good price.

Position of lighting depends on the type of stands you are using and their placement in the room. One thing to try and avoid is pointing the lights so that they shine directly into peoples eyes. I point most of my lighting directly onto the dancefloor. I offer moodlighting as an extra but even if I am not moodlighting the venue, I still often use 2 LED par cans behind my rig as a colour wash.

There's a photo here of my old rig, i've changed practically everything since this photo but it gives you an idea what I mean.

post-8233-1382040578_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your comments, but would I still need a set of scanners if i bought another datamoon? Also do you tend to keep all of your lights on throughout the night or switch between them? As I am only using sound to light not sure how i would be able to switch?

You wouldn't "need" a set of scanners. I only typically use scans where I can use haze. Scans are great but again, most of the effect is in the beams. No smoke/haze = little effect.

That's the reason I keep banging on about datamoons, even in venues where you can't use smoke they will still fill a dancefloor with colour and movement. A scanner will just see one single gobo image being projected all over the room. With a good pair of flowers you will always have that dancefloor coverage.

Bigger gigs/venues usually means I take more lights. One of my favourites is the Martin efx500. Martin made quite a unique effect with efx500/ efx600/ wizard / wizard extreme which are all a combination of a moonflower effect (like a datamoon) but that is then projected onto a barrel scanner which really fills a room.

Regarding controlling the lighting, on a normal rig like in the photo I posted I run the lights in pairs (master/slave) through a switched relay pack. This means I can turn effects on and off as desired. I don't run all my lights all night long. I often cycle between different effects, only use the laser at certain points (such as chart dance tracks), maybe turn everything off and run a strobe for a burst. A lot depends on my choice of lighting for the type of event I am playing at alongside the type of music I am playing.

The relay pack I use is an old chauvet model but it's quite similar to this - http://www.djkit.com/transcension/transcen...or.html?cat=318

The switch box is rack mounted into a flightcase underneath my active crossover and American Audio VMS4.1 controller. The relay box is permanently fastened to the overhead lighting bar. All IEC power leads and DMX cables are pre-wired and tie-wrapped to the overhead to make setting up faster and of course keeps the wiring nice and neat.

I've been scaling down my rigs over the last few years but on the quite rare occasions I take out a truss bridge and a lot of lighting I use a separate laptop running DMX software to control all the lighting.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

Thanks I'm looking into the models you mentioned. Also my datamoon has the newer 5 pin input/output is this still linkable to the older jack inputs?

Also my datamoon has the newer 5 pin input/output is this still linkable to the older jack inputs?

Yes it will, although ready made connecting cables are hard to come by which are correctly wired!. So you will probably have to make up your own 5pin xlr to stereo jack leads using either screened balanced audio or dmx cable.

The 5 pin XLR pin outs are as follows

pin 1 - Earth (you should connect the bare braided screen of the cable to this pin)

pin 2 - Data "-"

pin 3 - Data "+"

Pin 4 - Not Connected

Pin 5 - 12v for powering handheld controllers, you don't need this so you can leave it unconnected.

Make sure that you connect Pins 1, 2 and 3 of the 5 pin XLR correctly to the 3 corresponding terminals in the Jack - I believe that the jack plug pin configuration is printed on the back of the older Datamoons to show how they should be connected.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Yes it will, although ready made connecting cables are hard to come by which are correctly wired!. So you will probably have to make up your own 5pin xlr to stereo jack leads using either screened balanced audio or dmx cable.

The 5 pin XLR pin outs are as follows

pin 1 - Earth (you should connect the bare braided screen of the cable to this pin)

pin 2 - Data "-"

pin 3 - Data "+"

Pin 4 - Not Connected

Pin 5 - 12v for powering handheld controllers, you don't need this so you can leave it unconnected.

Make sure that you connect Pins 1, 2 and 3 of the 5 pin XLR correctly to the 3 corresponding terminals in the Jack - I believe that the jack plug pin configuration is printed on the back of the older Datamoons to show how they should be connected.

I see.. hmm i dont think i have the skills to whip up my own one ... would i be able to use an xlr to jack lead then add on an xlr to 5pin dmx converter? or would that not work?