Dj's United

Speakers & Amp Advice

Hello folks,

This is my first post so please be gentle!!

I ran a mobile disco for 5 years many years ago - selling at the grand old age of 25 because I thought I was getting too old!!

Here I am 30 years later still missing the buzz. I am considering setting up a small mobile disco purely for fun. I will only do gigs I want to - maybe 6 a year playing predominantly music from the 60's, 70's & 80's.

I still have much of my old vinyl & it is great to play it again. I have bought a pair of Gemini XL-500 Mark 2 turntables & have a Gemini MM-03 Mixer with a Stanton S550 Twin CD unit.

I have done a pals 60th birthday party - my first gig for 30 years - & it went very well.

I used someone else's disco for that but would like to buy my own amps & speakers.

However - what should I get? There is a lot to choose from!!! I have done some research & have a provisional plan which I would appreciate feedback on.

I was thinking of getting;

2 no. Peavey Messenger PRO15 Mark 2's

2 no. Peavey Messenger Pro Sub Mark 2's

2 no. Peavey IPR 1600 Amps

I will be doing smallish gigs normally but would like to have the facility to handle up to 300 people. Everything must fit into an estate car.

I would use both amps normally but if there was a failure I would be able to connect up to the remaining amp.

Would I need a Digital Crossover?

I want the sound to be fantastic - have I chosen the right equipment of should I consider something else?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Barry

Depending on your budget I would consider looking at active speakers.A bit heavier units but less units to put in the car and if one speaker goes you can finish the night with just one tops.

I personally run two passive tops with one active sub with a built in crossover which is sufficient for most bookings I get.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

Depending on your budget I would consider looking at active speakers.A bit heavier units but less units to put in the car and if one speaker goes you can finish the night with just one tops.

I personally run two passive tops with one active sub with a built in crossover which is sufficient for most bookings I get.

Thanks Trev - appreciate the advice.

Some used actives are your best bet and a good used sub. Alternatively have a look at the alto active range. I have never heard them but they get rave reviews and seem to be top of the class in the budget range.

I run a pair of 400w Das tops and a Qsc 800w sub at most gigs. Bought all of them second hand in mint condition and they sound great, paid half the normal rrrp. Personally I prefer getting good used gear rather than new budget stuff that loses half it's value the minute you take ownership. There is usually plenty of gear on eBay an similar sites.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Alto TS115A, perfectly ample for most gigs.

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'