Dj's United

Db Technologies Cromo 12 Club

Just recently purchased a pair of these active speakers for mobile DJ work in pubs/bars/small venues, and I'm wondering if they'll have enough volume for these type of venues, will be adding a sub in about a couple of months time...

Here's the specs on these speakers...

dB Technologies Cromo 12 Features and Specification:

• Speaker Type : 2-Way Active Speaker
  • Frequency Response [-10dB] : 55 - 20.000 Hz
  • Frequency Response [+/- 3dB] : 60 - 19.000 Hz
  • Max SPL - 124 dB
  • HF - 1 "
  • Type HF : compression driver
  • Voice Coil HF : 1.5 mm (0.06 in)
  • Directivity : 90/70 x 60 °
  • Horn : Asymmetrical CD Horn
  • LF : 12 "
  • Amp Class : Class D
  • Power PRG : 400 W
  • HF Amp : 60 W/RMS
  • LF Amp : 240 W/RMS
  • Cooling : Convection
  • Controller : DSP 24bit/48kHz
  • Limiter : Dual Active, Peak, RMS, Thermal
  • Crossover Frequency MF-HF : 1900 Hz
  • Slope MF-HF : 24 dB/Octave
  • Signal Input : 1x XLR, 1x 6.3mm phone jack
  • Input Sensitivity [dBu] : -40 dBu
  • Microphone Input : Yes
  • Power Socket : VDE
  • Housing - Polyporpylen PP
  • Housing Design - Multifunctional
  • Color - Black
  • Handles - 1x on top
  • Pole Mount - 36mm
  • Angles Up - Monitor use 43 °
  • Front Grille - Metall, 1.2mm
  • Width - 402 mm (16.08 in)
  • Height - 615 mm (24.6 in)
  • Depth - 356 mm (14.24 in)
  • Weight - 18,5 kg (39.68 lbs)
Just recently purchased a pair of these active speakers for mobile DJ work in pubs/bars/small venues, and I'm wondering if they'll have enough volume for these type of venues, will be adding a sub in about a couple of months time...

Depends on the size and capacity of the venue and the quality of acoustics within, and also how they are going to be positioned. Are they going to be mounted on stands? or flown from a rig?, or are they going to have 200 solid bodies dancing directly in front of them :shrug:

All of these factors will affect how the speakers sound from venue to venue and how well they will cope. Personally, I think that, unless you are working a large venue then these speakers, plus the addition of the sub will easily cope with the type of work that you are doing - more so if you stand mount them.

There is so much more to speaker design than wattage alone, the SPL figure shows how efficient a speaker is at turning energy from the amplifier into actual usable sound, and the higher the SPL figure, the better the speaker actually is, and so with a max spl figure of 124db, these are pretty high up the scale, certainly a lot higher quality and more efficient at producing sound than a speaker with a 97db rating (for example).

I doubt that you'll have any problems using these, although adding the sub is a good idea, as 12" drivers can, in some situations, lack bass depth.depending on the music being played.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Yeah they will be used on stands, do you know of the Cromo series produces decent sound quality, I know that they are DB Technologies budget speaker...

But got a good deal on them on whybuynew, they usually retail at around £600, but got a B stock pair for £418...

Even though my budget is limited, Sound quality is important for me as thats a main selling point in any mobile DJ business from what I've read...

do you know of the Cromo series produces decent sound quality, I know that they are DB Technologies budget speaker...

Sorry I don't, in all honesty I haven't heard or used those speakers. DB Technologies have a very good reputation though, so I would imagine that even their budget range would sound a hell of a lot better than the best budget speakers from other manufacturers, so its a reasonable gamble.

Why Buy New is also a good dealer, i've yet to buy any 'B-Stock' goods from them, which haven't arrived in pristine condition, just as good as buying new :msn-wink:

Sound quality is important for me as thats a main selling point in any mobile DJ business from what I've read...

Yes, that is good advice and the majority of experienced Dj's will agree on that one. Clients won't notice (or care) if you don't have the very latest and most expensive lighting effects or you aren't using top DJ lighting brands, but they will notice if the sound quality is poor and distorted all night. A plumber or car mechanic will always invest in decent quality tools which will last a long time and do the job well, and equally in our industry we need to invest in good quality sound, so that is always where most of any available budget should be spent.

Remember that you have seven days under the distance selling regulations, in order to check your goods and make sure they are as good as described, so if you genuinely aren't happy with them, then you can send them back for a full refund (less carriage charges).

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations#link-1

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Whybuynew is where I get a lot of my products from, I have to agree their as the Cromos arrived in near enough brand new condition...

The other products that were in my price range at the time were, Behringer Eurolive B 210D, QTX PAJ12A, and Alto TS112A 12...

Behringer I've heard a lot of bad stuff about, same with QTX, and Alto I don't really know much about, so went for the DB Cromo 12 club since It has had some good reviews online...

• 3 weeks later...

I had a listen to the Cromos at my local retailer and I was very impressed. Excellent clarity and performance, especially at the price you paid!
I actually rated them higher than quite a few more expensive speakers I demo'd.

The only thing I noticed was that could get slightly bright/harsh at volume but a little eq soon solved it.

For larger gigs I would pair them up with a dB SUB15D. Or if you could stretch to a pair, you'll have a system capable of all but the hugest of venues.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk