Dj's United

Music Stopped, When I Plug In A Star Cloth?

Hi

I was setting up at a gig this week

I had all my gear setup apart from my star cloth and I plugged it in to the same extension as my Laptop as I normally do

and the music cut out and I couldn't control virtual dj, via the laptop or controller

I rebooted Virtual DJ and it started to work this has never happend to me before

i am running my laptop with virtual Dj via usb to my DenonMC6000

thanks in advance

many thanks Pete

Probably Electrical Interference. Remember the days when you used to flick a light switch and you got a crackle from a nearby radio?, this was more often a problem on LW or MW frequencies and doesn't occur much these days with the widespread use of FM and DAB, but hopefully you get my drift.

Anyway, this crackle is caused by the sudden surge of electricity whenever anything is plugged in / switched on, and this can cause delicate computer equipment to crash or operate strangely.

Generally its good practice to keep supplies for your lighting and audio separate, rather than sharing the same extension lead / multi-gang socket, and also switch on your mixer, amp, powered speakers and any background lighting, BEFORE booting up the laptop. Also keep any mains leads as far away as possible from the laptops' power supply

A surge protected extension socket is also a good investment like this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-surge-protected-extension-lead-8g-240v-2m/95225?kpid=95225

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

• 2 weeks later...

I've come across this before, laptop applications crashing from seemingly unassociated electrical events.

You might just want to check all your mains connections especially inside 13A plugs on extensions and leads in case there's a loose terminal or slack fuse. Apart from that, there isn't alot you can do other than play with the order they're switched on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Superstardeejay and McCardle

thanks for both your replies, I though it might be down to a surge always used the same extension lead never had a problem before as its got a surge protection I might get a set of new leads just encase

many thanks Pete

Pop the tops off the mains plugs and check the screws are all tight. You'd be surprised at the number of appliances that come in for service where the screws inside the 13A plugs are actually rattling around inside the plug. It's very common on multi-way extension leads because they often crimp little brass ferrules on the ends of the flex and this can prevent the screws biting the copper properly.

Make sure you're using the correct laptop charger and if it's meant to have an earth wire, it isn't cut off.

• 5 weeks later...