Dj's United

Mobile Dj Fees - How Much Should I Charge?

Hi guys.

You may have seen my introductory post the other day. If not, I am basically in the process of getting the equipment together to do some mobile DJ'ing (my business cards arrived today - excited!).

I certainly can't host big events (yet) but can do house parties or office parties on my own. My question to you guys is: how much should I charge people if they want me to play at their party? I've absolutely no idea when it comes to this - £20? £50? £100?? Should I charge by the hour (if they just want me to play for a couple of hours at the end of the evening or something)? Or a fixed cost?

To give you some context, I have only done a couple of gigs at a local pub so far, and didn't get paid for these (I opened the night both times, and all the money went to the main 3 DJ's, who to be fair used alot of their own equipment and did all of the organising - I just turned up with my 2 turntables and a few records).

Also, someone I know may want me to play the last hour of their wedding reception in a few months, once the live band have finished. Again, what should I charge??

Thanks all.

Pete (DJ Kick Ass)