Dj's United

No One Predicted This Year!

Since the last meaningful discussion here was around a decade ago, I would be stunned if anybody in ANY industry had predicted what would be happening in 2020 with any clarity, certainly they could earn a decent salary as a Government 'expert' if they could, because ultimately they would be much better prepared than the Government!.

So to continue this theme.......

More to the point, how many of those doing this full time had the foresight to save up a buffer for a rainy day? - a disaster recovery fund?. Disaster planning and having the means to fund your survival for a prolonged period if you are unable to work is Business 101, because disasters are far more common and easier to predict than pandemics but the effects to the self employed are pretty much the same. Disruption of self employed income and not being able to work can occur from anything ranging from a car accident to terminal illness diagnosis and of course, Pandemics. I guess from what I read from the hand-wringing on social media from week one of everything shutting down, not many in various self employed roles had the foresight to predict for a week ahead, let alone a decade.

All but two people I know who were full time DJ's, for decades have ventured back to the 9 - 5 quite early on in the Summer, they seem to have predicted correctly so far and nobody should feel, or be belittled into thinking that there is any shame in that. The other two are still self employed but have diversified into other businesses, serving markets which are still in demand during a pandemic. If things ever get back to normal, they potentially now have two successful businesses.

Some, I hear, are still sitting around, watching their savings dwindle or living off one income hoping that the next day they will wake up and things will magically go back to normal, not sure that will turn out to be the right decision to be honest.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone who reads this, and stay safe whatever you decide to do.........

Has someone been tweaking/tidying up the layout of this forum?!

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

21 hours ago, otronics said:

Has someone been tweaking/tidying up the layout of this forum?!

We still have a valid license so I took the opportunity to upgrade the Forum Software from V3.4.7 to V4.5.3.

For the first time in ten years..

On 10/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, ChrisPointon said:

We still have a valid license so I took the opportunity to upgrade the Forum Software from V3.4.7 to V4.5.3.

For the first time in ten years..

Excellent!

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk