Dj's United

Working with bands!!

Here's another topic that a gig last week reminded me about:-

Working with bands:-

At some time in your D.J'ing career you'll probably be asked to share the evenings entertainment alongside a Band or other live artist. Whilst the majority of bands that I've had the opportunity to work with over the years, have been considerate and professional, suffice to say that the attitude of some groups is that the D.J is low priority and just there to support THEM!!.

Here are some tips to get you through the night http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

(1) Always arrive at the venue Early, ideally before the band arrive, since the group will usually hog the majority of the stage, giving little thought for the D.J and his / her equipment!. If you get there after the band you'll usually have to set up in a small 3ft square area of the stage, or not on the stage at all. It's also easier to set up your gear on a clear stage, rather than carefully pick your way through Guitars and Wires whilst carrying heavy equipment.

(2) Ensure that you check the entertainment schedule with the HOST - rather than asking a member of the band. If it is left to the Band you'll probably find yourself doing 30 minutes during the quietest parts of the Evening whilst they get to play for hours during the lively part of the function.

(3) Unless the host has booked you as a support for the band, ensure that you get an equal share of the function - You have been booked to entertain to!.

(4) Usually the customer will expect a discount when you are told that you will be playing alongside a band. Although a small discount should be negotiated just bear in mind that you will still be required to attend the evening for the full period regardless of the period you are "on stage" and the band will usually expect to use your lightshow during their set, so don't underprice yourself http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

(5) You'll find that bands seldom introduce the D.J when they hand over - although I always introduce them. Find out the name of the band beforehand and give them a small introduction after your own set - even if it's only along the lines of "Ladies and Gentlemen put your hands together for Swindon Rat Catchers!". This enhances your professionalism and informs the audience of the changeover from Disco to live Entertainment.

(6) It's usually the way, that you'll work hard in your 30 minute set to fill the dancefloor - only for the band to come on directly after!. That's a fact of life unfortunately and there is little you can do about it.

(7) It's also normal for the Band's agreed 30 minute set to turn into a 45 minute or even a 1 hour one http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/mad.gif . Don't cause a scene, or yell abuse at them over the P.A. Although it can be very tempting http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif , it's also very unprofessional. Just remember that the whole point of the evening is for people to enjoy themselves, and you are getting paid the same, regardless of whether you work 30 minutes or 4 hours.

Nice one Chris. I agree with everything you say. Every New Years Eve for the last 15 years I have supported a band and on nearly every occasion the crowd have asked 'when are you back on'; not I hasten to add because I am that good but because the majority prefer the music that a disco plays. The most annoying thing about supporting a band and this has happened to me without exception is that after they have done their last set and I am finishing the night off, they always pack their gear away when I am trying to keep the party going.Its a bit difficult to work when there are people pushing flight cases of sound gear across the dancefloor.

QUOTE (djtrev @ Feb 6 2003, 12:42 PM)
The most annoying thing about supporting a band and this has happened to me without exception is that after they have done their last set and I am finishing the night off, they always pack their gear away when I am trying to keep the party going.Its a bit difficult to work when there are people pushing flight cases of sound gear across the dancefloor.

Yes, I hate it when that happens http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/mad.gif , luckily the band I played alongside last week, just finished their set and went and stood at the bar for the last hour. But usually there is the usual rush for them to get packed away and push their flightcases across the dancefloor!.

On one occasion, I had a band who managed to unplug my P.A rig in the mad dash for them to get packed away - needless to say I was not amused http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif - another tip - always try and plug into a seperate bank of sockets to that of the band - just in case they unplug the wrong one when they begin to pack away http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I love working with bands...

it has nothing to do with the fact iam in one, and normally surport myself..

http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

Yes i have cool green grovey hair, will have to go red for Red Nose day though....

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

• 3 weeks later...

TIP

When working with bands try to speak to them before hand and get a copy of their playlist, nothing worse than playing the same music. Find out how long their sets are, how much room they need etc. Certainly makes for a better evening.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, bands think DJs are pillocks and DJs think that bands are a damn nuisance. Trouble is, they`re both right and they`re both wrong.

Depends on the individuals.

I am a musician and singer who became involved in disco/karaoke about 3 years ago, purely by accident.

As a gigging muso I always tried to work WITH any DJ I came across. It`s much easier to work something out between you than to fight over a bit of floor space.

Regarding bands packing up while the disco is on, one reason could be travelling distance. I remember that as a band member it was not unusual to travel forty or fifty miles or more to a gig, so consequently we couldn`t wait to get packed away.

Since working as a KJ/DJ, the furthest I have had to travel has been ten miles, and most gigs are within five miles radius.

Also, because the gigs are mainly local, it is not unusual for me to leave my gear at the venue and collect the next day.

MODO, I know where you are coming from, I have just this evening taken my first local gig in ages.

Being based out of Farnham, Surrey, my resident hotel is 30 miles away near Newbury, I frequently travel to Brighton, Oxford, Central London etc. I have been lucky, never worked Essex - Praise the lord.

I think it's great, until I have to drive home. I can think of many an occasion that I've had a doze on the way home, thank heavens for computerised managment systems in cars, I think thats what keeps me on the road (LOL)

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???