Dj's United

The next in our series of interviews is covered by Daniel - AKA "dfinn"

If you wish to appear in this series of interviews don't forget to send me a P.M http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

How long have you been DJ'ing?

2 years with a friend with no proper kit, 2 years properly. So 4 years altogether

What inspired you to become a DJ?

I have always liked lighting and sound

What type of "Do" was your first gig?

Friend’s sister’s 6th birthday party

How much did you charge (Mikeee please convert this from Shillings and pence to decimal when it’s your go.)

£10 LOL

What equipment did you have to begin with?

2 midi c.d. players that we mixed by fading one in and one out

3 disco balls, rope light

What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

Near the end of a gig when only a few people were left I was going to turn the lighting off but I turned the sound off instead.

What is your favorite type of function now? EG: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, funeral wake.

Kids parties because they are a lot less hassle than bigger functions.

Is there anything that you include in your show now, which you wish you'd done/known when you started? (Not equipment, but in human/performer terms)

That you have to keep kid’s attention constantly, if you let them lose concentration you won’t be able to control them

What do you feel you offer your public, that makes you a better DJ than "the next guy/girl"?

A low price for a D.J. who can provide good quality lighting and sound.

Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn’t? and why?

A Gemini PMX 20 mixer, because I didn’t realize it had no microphone input until I tried to, plug the microphone in. But it was a great mixer otherwise

What’s your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Well I have a mixer on the way but after that I am going to order a twin c.d. player and mixer flight case, new microphones, dare V800 amp, a c.d. flight case and lots of different cables

If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

A compact speaker that is flat so you don’t break your back when you lift them and they fit in your car easily

what do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing.

Making peoples parties a success

what do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing.

Packing up

What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything).

Nothing

How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

MP3 will become increasingly popular and LED compact lighting effects will become more affordable.

Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

I am behind all my equipment with a pair of headphones on and a microphone in my hand, someone comes up to ma and say’s. “Are you the D.J.”

Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Play the party by ear, do not stick to a fixed play list, play the music that suits the crowd

And worst advice you were ever given

I haven’t bee given any bad advice yet

Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill you dance floor!!

Grease mega mix, abba medley, Macarena

Undisclosed due to forum rules

Undisclosed due to forum rules

Martial status

Single

Education level

Undisclosed

Mode of transportation

Car, ford Mondeo

What equipment do you currently use?

Sound

KAM KCD 960 C.d. player

KAM GMX 5 MK II mixer (will arrive soon to replace Gemini PMX 20)

Technics home amp (soon to be upgraded to a Dare V800 amp)

Pair Skytec 300w speakers

Lighting

Chauvet obsession

Abstract twister 2 Mk I

Geni spark

1.5 ft U.V. backlight

Rope light

Smoke machine

2x t-bars bolted together

How much have you "invested" in equipment?

So far about £1000 but I intend to invest about another £600 or so this year

What was your reason for becoming a DJ?

I just think its great, plus it’s a job for me

Approximately how many gigs have you done to date

About 7 I think.

Dfinn

Nice interview!!!

Incidently - there are flat speakers you can purchase - fairly slim and grilled at the front.

Not quite sure of their output.

If memory serves me well, cost around £500 pair with protective jackets. Made by Carlsborough.

oh noooooo this interview would have made chris cringe - the swear work KAM ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Hey

The guy I used to go around with never had a mixer other than KAM and we never had an yproblems with it. The mixer worked perfectly, crossfader only went once and the sound quality through it was amazing. Iam using a Kam at the moment while Iam starting but obviously going to move onto a better mixer when I get the money!

Regards

Mike

<center>MDM Roadshows - Professional Mobile Disco Service For The South East

Email: info@mdmroadshows.com

MSN: vapournetmike@hotmail.com

</center>

respect to ya

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

Leeroy

This is not the place to be discussing Kam products, this is an interview thread only and the degrading of other members equipment & choice is deflating.

Please refraime from posting further on this thread with regards to equipment.

Whatever equipment is used by our members is down to personal choice and budget. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thankyou Paula.

Why do people have a go at KAM, fine if you have had bad experiences with them no problems, but you dont have to keep on about it just becuase a person has just bought a product from them and you hate the make! I have the kam mixer now and I think it is brilliant, but that is my personal choice.

I have been on this forum about 3 months now and I have seen so many arguments over KAM. If you dont like it keep it to yourself. I bet the people who use and like KAM are sick of it.

Now, lets forget it shall we. Any other comments on my interview.

DONT RIP IT OUT OF ANY OTHER MANUFACTURERS.

Daniel

Whoa - this is a discussion forum where people can freely air their views on any piece of equipment, music, venue, media etc. Whether these comments and opinions are good or bad is immaterial, the idea is to enable our members to make an informed decision and obtain a representative view and enable them to judge an item on its merits from the feedback it gets and the general opinion.

If you take offence to a review (or feel that you are likely to) then don't read it http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif .

I will agree on one point - that this is NOT the area or topic for a general equipment review or to criticise the Sound & Lighting equipment which an individual may be using. If you wish to discuss any piece of equipment listed above or on any other interview, then do so - but in the correct area of the forum.

This thread is for discussion related to the interviewee and his or her experiences to date. Please keep this on topic from now on, otherwise I shall have to lock it.