Dj's United

Im back, what have I done now......look inside, I

Well now, FIRSTLY let me take this time to thank each and everyone of you for

peeking in in this topic (Pioneer CDJ1000MKII) 404 in fact, hell seems I caused quite a stir around these parts.

SECONDLY I must go on my hands and knees and beg for forgiveness in being so

distanced from this forum, sorry been hellish for a while at work and with my P3

450 getting a face-lift to a AMD XP2600 along with a few odds and ends lifes been

a bitch to me. (shame, I heard ya all)

BUT now for the shocker, whats that I hear, the shock is I bought 2 yes TWO as

1 + 1 = 2 Top cd spinners, ahhhhh which ones, not telling I want to see who gets it

right and I will then reply tommorrow ( is that 1m, ah forget it)

Which do you think DENON DNS5000 or PIONEER CDJ1000MK2, could be either no

hints or even the slightest clue....

I'll be racing home to see who gets it right

Cheers

Denon ?

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Pioneer?

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

I  read the title of the thread, and thought you'd gone and got somebody pregnant.

True

Pioneer Rule, well Denon are quite good, but pioneer are better, but Denon starts with a D so that has to be better than a P, oh i dont know,

Pioneer?

Mobile Disco based in the Chew Valley & South Bristol

I'll go half & half and say Deneer.

ok thats not really fair i'll go with Pioneer?? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

Dangermouse

let me guess you went with KAM?? instead hahahahahahahahahahahahahha

If it aint got that Swing, it Dont mean a thing!!

she crept in quietely and said "numark"......! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some good replies there and thanks to Chris 'The owner/mod' got someone

pregnent. nah Im single at the moment so thats a no go.

Before I come out and tell you all why I went for ......... oops nearly told before

I gave my reasons, anyway I looked, I tried then I looked some more and tried

some more, then I said nah stuff it try a rack mount to see what gives with these

units so I tried one, the Denon dual thingy and I didnt even try the functions as it

seemed these niffy items were designed for some NASA shuttle party on the

International space station and Im referring to both the Pioneer's and D's.

So I'll cut to the chase and stop boring ya all ok and by saying what Im about to

say to potential buyers of the opposite product in no way knocks it.

(and he trembles) i got the pioneers, why cos I found the denons why to cluttered

with buttons and just looked as if I might someday get to use that button over

there, I went for the pioneers on 2 main factors. 1: layuot = supurb 2: function layout, again supurb 3: sound, both the Pioneer's and D's = . 4: this some might

disagree, I found the rubber buttons with the Denons print would in no time start

to wear off, Pioneer printed to the side and used ally tops on there main buttons so should look good for in years to come.

Denon made one crucial mistake in my view but its minor and I should'nt even be

mentioning it, the main square chunky white buttons were a turn off and to pronounced (to high above the facia).

Im well pleased with the Pioneer CDJ1000MKII, they are well made no question

about it, the functions are to the T of what I wanted, the layout 1st class, visualy

perfect and the eye seems not get lost on the excess of buttons which I found

annoying on the Denons, night operation = stunnig, I feel Denons blue light looked

nice but pointless especialy in the dark and distractiong.

Thats about all I could say as Im now into the 'feel' how it goes stage and seeing

that I have a gig comming up for a 40th birthday party I best get on with them but

its only on the 24 april so plently of time to practice and complete my wheeled

rig and oh boy is this rig going to be the best I've made yet, hope to take pics soon

Anyway A BIG thanks to all you guys/gals who tried in vein to get me to buy the

DENONS but it was a toss between the two despite my dislikes of the above listed

DENON irregularities in the end Pioneers did it for me even though I was turned on

by the favt that the Denons had replaceable drives.

Cheers and thanks again

Just goes to prove that it is down to personal choice.... I wouldnt say one is better than the other...... we use both.

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can almost sense Gary rubbing his hands with glee. All of those "DENON" keywords in the posts above should get the thread a good ranking. Especially as Google seems to live here these days http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif . Maybe the spider has got it's hairly legs trapped....or maybe I've kidnapped it and locked it in the cupboard never to leave... *Spooky Laugh*.

Anyway back on topic...

Gary you could get quite a bit of information for Denon's R&D department from other D.J's comments, wishes and criticisms?, I know that one post is hardly the be all and end all of a whole new line of products, but if you were to get a few more opinions, and also post them in the right places *Cough*, Denon forum, *Cough* it may become worthwhile consumer feedback?.

I also propose that instead of just slagging off a particular product, we should give our reasons for dis-liking it. Simply posting that a product is Carp (fish for tea again) is not constructive, or likely to get the product improved! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/whistling.gif . However, chrismk post is a good example of constructive criticism http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

So your homework this week is:-

I dis-like this product because........

Wow! I thought Pioneer were gonna get stuck with those two...http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Youve reached an unusual decision, assuming that the store you visited had ALL the units on show and that the salesguys werent stuck in 1999, or on Pioneer commission packages (theres one store in London where you wouldnt have made it out the door with anything other than Pioneer:fear, but we won mention that little gem here). The current range...

* The Denon DN-D9000, dual rack mount. With the blue glow that you mentioned, Alpha track to allow 2 tracks to be mixed from the same cd at the same time, at different pitched into different channels of your mixer etc etc

*The Denon DN-S5000 tabletop. Effectively one side/half of the DN-D9000, still with Alpha track, but with hot disc as well, allowing you to mix from one disc to another on one player...oh and of course the motorised platter.

* The DN-S3000 tabletop. A cut down version of the DN-S5000, for those with button-count phobia;)

* The DN-D4000 more basic dual rack

Its unusual for someone thats done their homework and got a clear idea of theyre looking for to opt for CDJ1000s. Most, who worry themselves unduly about the button count on any cd deck, normally go for the Denon DN-S3000 or the Pioneer CDJ800.

The comment of "i didnt even try the features" was most perplexing. Its well known that rack mount units have less layout than tabletop units, which can spread themselves out, as theres no preset "hole" or rack space for their dimensions to cramp into. Im also a little surpised that both rackmount and tabletop units were compared against each other. Without mentioning the name of the store, I wonder if they had

The concern of the icons rubbing off of the play and cue buttons certainly would have been a concern on some older models, or from other manufacturers today, but neither my Denon rack mounts nor tabletops are showing any sign of icon wear.

Anyway, as long as you avoid the 2 known catastrophies if flightcasing your CDJ-1000s then Ive no doubt that your units will serve you well for several years, maybe almost as long as the Denons;)

My laptop does all tht Gary, Oh I foprgot it also stores 8000 tracks too !! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

QUOTE (ADS Entertainments @ Mar 23 2004, 09:27 PM)
My laptop does all tht Gary, Oh I foprgot it also stores 8000 tracks too !! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Not instantly after loading a CD that someones just handed you to play several tracks from, it doesnt http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

Edited by Gary

Well - I am surprised!

Everything stated about the Pioneer and the Denon was a personal opinion - but hey, what an interesting opinion??!!

I suppose, given the fact too, that Pioneer is a long and well established company (adds 'peace of mind' to Pioneer purchased Audio / Visual products) is one way to look at things......but this was not the case at all.

It was a hands on approach....and Pioneer won!

Forgetting just for a moment which is better (*cough*) I wish you luck and fun with your new decks.

Side note - As a (*cough*) user, I can assure that the same system I use is fine - with no complaints.

Enjoy! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Right Gary and I hope a lesson to all or should I rather say 'advice'

The store I bought the PIONEER CDJ1000MKII is based in Southend, yes I endured

the M25 (Why do people hog the right lane, beats me when Im trying to do 75mph

and no more)

'There's sales rep' ? nah these guys were totally unbiased and not once did I ask

for advice cos I did'nt want it, in fact I said where are your Pioneer and Denon Cd

top spinners (naming the models I wanted) he then showed me and I promtly said

to him I'll just browse while you attend to other customers.

After a sort while I called him back over and asked for a disc to try out whereby he

produced something known as 'hip hop', sorry not trying to knock it but he should have asked what style (his only mistake).

He flipped on the Pioneer and then the Denon and straight away the blue light on the Denon distracted me (looks cool on home DVD players Denon) I asked him if

the light could be switched off and the reply was 'I've never been asked that before'

Ok so maybe in a round about way I was being picky but it mattered to me and

apart from the other things as I listed I was'nt pressured in anyway, these were

just ordinary guys doing a job and I loved every minute of it, no free coffee just

straight talk sold me to buy from this lot again in the near future but this site is

going to get a few orders from me soon, around June I'd say cos lights are just

that 'lights' and I can see them anywhere.

To recap on Gary's post in order just so he feels its been a fair choice.

All units were on display, not behind here or over there.

I wasnt near London and if I was pro Pioneer talked I would have flipped.

The blue light is a joke, annoying and serves no use or purpose.

Apart from the button count they just looked clumsy and bulky for the functions

they were intended for, compare Pioneer and you'll see what I going on about.

Features speak for themselves, I did'nt need to even try maybe someone who's

looking to get into the DJ scene would have tried, I knew what each unit was about.

As for the button icon issue Im pleased to hear that no wear of the print has faded

but those darn square chunky buttons were a real turn off.

Denon is a very well known make to both me and a few of my mad audio family

members, hell I had a uncle who was pro Denon I enjoyed listening to his system

every time we went to visit and I still rate Denon highly.

Your last point I feel was unfounded as if any product does'nt have problems

and I am going to be mounting these Pioneers in such a way that they will be

surrounded by clean filtered air being pumped around them via a few fans drawing

in air via filters, talk about extreme this is it and they will last a long time I sure.

So this review was somewhat long but called for because I feel that I dont want to

be 'blamed' for knocking a product when in fact I was 99% going to be buying

Denons flagship CD DJ spinners.

I hope this helps understand why I went for the Pioneer MKII's and maybe the likes

of Denon will get my next puchase but until then NO.

Cheers

Chrismk

Chris... I dont think you have to justify your choice to anyone! It is YOUR choice and if you prefer pioneer then nobody should presume that you were cohersed into buying them! Some people rate denon.. but that doesnt mean that they are the best product in the world! I prefer to use my pioneers above my denons.. but thats my personal choice... and I wasnt pressured into buying one brand above the other!

We all have our views on what we prefer to use.. and I think giving somebody the third degree about how they made their decision about their purchase, whether or not they were sold it by "biased" sales staff is a bit OTT....

Pioneer or Denon...... its not a case of one being better than the other..... its down to personal choice.... some might be of the opinion that one is better than the other but that doesnt make it so (jean-luc picard!).... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/beer.gif

Chris, I'm sticking with what I said about the fact that I'm sure they (CDJ-1000 MKII's) will serve you well for years. Pioneer are one of the better makes.

Note that I didn't say that you'd made a "wrong" decision, just an unusual one. However, its a decision based on what was important to you, in this case - comestic/asthetic details, but details which you quite rightly judged as being important to you. I know what you mean about things like Blue "power on" lights etc. Theres a club which I sued to do regularly, which had a mixer with damn annoying red BPM counters which used to flash and change in a distracting fashion - I ended up sticking a price label over them one night - the price label was still there on my return visit 3 weeks later, so a units lighting is something that is noted by others as well as you and I.

Similarly, your preference for flush (to the surface) Play/Cue buttons with surround lighting, rather than proud/raised internally illuminated buttons is again something which is part of the touchy, feely side of chosing equipment.

I dont think that you're being over cautious, or "extreme" by adding fans either. The CDJ-1000's both MKI & II's are known to heat up across the rear panel and across the rear display where the track info, pitch, wave etc is displayed.

However, what I was mainly refering to when I mentioned flightcasing is that both the CDJ-1000mkI and MKII use microswitches beneath the platter surface to detect when the platter is touched (unlike Denon which use an optical system for touch detection). Many Pioneer owners have broken, or desensitized(sp?) those microswitches when flightcasing the units, simply by having foam resting against the platter whilst its in transit, after only a few moves.

When cutting out the foam for the lid of your console, be sure that the foam presses against the main top panel, the corners etc,etc - in fact anywhere except the platter.

The venting and the platter/foam issue are both documented on the Pioneer Forum (unless they've deleted them - their mods are a little "edit-happy" with some posts). Regardless of make/model, I would not like to read about any DJU member having problems later on.

Happy spinnin' http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

Point taken Gary and well worth remembering which believe I will regarding

the flightcsae issue, in may case they'll both be mounted in the rig on cotton wool

clouds (well nearly) and then covered and mounted on soft thick pile foam in transit

as we all know what vibrations can do, mmm horrible thing vibration.

Tip: When I used to go out with my 2nd cousin in his purpose VW transporter we

used to run with wider tyres on the back end with lower than usual pressure but

not like as in flat of course, gee thats heading back to the good days.

Now that I've been practicing with these decks I well chuffed, seriously GOOD in

fact so good the Telly has lost its purpose.

Another thing I need to point out is to look deep into the packaging cos it looks like

Pioneer is now supplying 'Multimedia cards' I found mine in the bottom of the box

So far this topc has created a stir amongst a few good people here but Im pleased

to see it was positive and not like agressive slander, no another forum in Canada

I've been called names, been sworn at, been accussed as to the helping of vinyl

killing, well it is time to move on you know.

My last response to all those idiots was this and its true

When video tape came about we had Betamax and VHS, sadly Betamax died a

slow and painful death but yet it was considered the better format, or was it.......

so how come VHS is still going strong, now Comes DVD shall I continue, think not.

And so far there hasnt been another reply, goes to show the younger generation is

hell bent in like going back to whats retro and things 60's

Im not knocking vinyl at all for you wax spinners as the kids now say just that I

embrace new gadgets with open arms......let the gadgets commence, these are

cool time we live in..

Thanks all

Cheers

Cheers

My gig for the 40th birthady part is a flop due to venue hassles so this mate of

is going to hire a room at venue with all equipment in situ, and no I cant spin there

Hell am I annoyed and I was going to only charge him £100 for a smash hit party

Guess the Pioneers will just have to hang on a bit more cos Im plannig a free

party promotion in the summer but I have my ex girlfriend comming soon so my

brain is going into overdrive at the moment (shes a brit comming on holiday)

Cut that out no wedding bells this side I assure you, besides shes a sports model.

Have fun all its nearly summer......... or is it...

Cheers

Well im glad you have got your cd players now and i hope they serve you well. I have a denon 5000 and i think it is great. It is very daunting to try to learn every thing that it does ive had mine for over a year and still can not use every thing and i can see how this might put some people off. i used a pair of pioneer 1000 mk1s the other night and found them very very good i still prefered my denon but then i am used to my denon i would compare the Pioneer vs denon debate to the technics Vs vestax's debate with the Pioneer being the technics, very simple well built and in more clubs than most other decks Vs vestax's a better deck yet more people got technics. As everybody else has said its all comes down to personal choice so well done http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

Lets all see how the the new technics cd deck turns out can thecnics corner the cd market aswell as the vinyl market http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif