Dj's United

A Brand New Sony Laptop for under £3!!!

Those of you who regularly visit ebay will have seen the auctions for INFORMATION ONLY about receiving a brand new Sony Vaio P4 2.8Ghz 60GB DVD, CD-RW laptop for next to nothing. I have seen these auctions reach £280 - just for the information http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif

Well I now have this info (I didn't pay anything like that for it - £6.99 to be exact) just to satisfy my curiousity. It involves visiting up to 3 websites a week and receiving a credit for each one you visit. When you reach 150 credits the laptop is yours!?!? You also receive credits for referring others.

The registration fee is $5 (around £3) payable via Paypal - so is this a scam? Has anyone tried it or know of someone who has?

The old adage - 'If it looks too good to be true it normally is' could well apply but I'd be interested to know what others think.

I have always wondered about these things and would be intrested to see how they turn out

theres one for the mobile phones too! basically for those who dont know u pay ur fee then u are put into a big list with others that want the particular phone!! evertime a new person comes onto the same phone list u move down the list!! problem is the list could be 50 people and u dont know how long it will take but it does work http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Other prob is the time u get round to getting the item u could prob go out and buy it eventually for next to nothing http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Discos @ Resonable prices in berkshire come to Performance Light & Sound 07833 991057

Http://www.plsdiscoberks.co.uk

go to http://www.mobiledisco.org/ for discos around congleton and nr areas

Get a bit of sense lads.

All these "secret documents" often tell you to do is to start a business, and then give a list of trade suppliers of graded or reworked appliances / computer gear. Some even just list all of the MOD / Government/ Customs auctions which take place around the country selling repossessed goods, furniture and liquided stock on the cheap. Most of this information is freely available on the 'net or in directories http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif .

I mean, if you had found a source of Laptops for £3, would you be selling the informationon where to obtain them for £6.99?. No, you'd have bought 200 of them, and would be selling them at £500 each http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif . Come on!, people just don't sell the key to a fortune for £6.99 on Ebay http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif . £3 laptops don't don't exist, SONY would be out of business if they did, and so would PC World. We'd have all bought the information by now and be accessing DJU with our Bargain!. In your wildest imagination do you REALLY think that people sell Laptops for £3?? - even nicked ones change hands for far more than that!.

If you really want to get into business then buy Industrial Exchange and Mart, or Daltons Weekly and pick up a pallet of customer returns from a catalogue source, repair them, and then sell them on as Graded. Basically this is all the manuals will tell you to do!. Now send me my £6.99!.

I suppose they can't all be fake, as eBay would ban them (I would have thought)

No, because they are not doing anything wrong. It's your Imagination which tells you that by answering an ad you are going to get something which will earn you a fortune. These sellors pray on greed and the thoughts of easy money which we all have!. You pay your £6.99, you get a list of ex catalogue suppliers. Just because a phone is brand new - doesn't mean that it will work!, it could just as easily be a customer return found to be DOA and returned. Yep you could pay £3.00 for it, but could you repair it?. It's all about clever wording. Besides people get ripped off on Ebay all of the time, visit their own forums, they don't give a damn.

It involves visiting up to 3 websites a week and receiving a credit for each one you visit. When you reach 150 credits the laptop is yours!?!? You also receive credits for referring others.

Don't want to put a dampener on your Day, Paul, but the only people who earn out of this are the website owners. They get paid an affiliate 5 cents for everybody who clicks through their link. By the time you have earned enough to redeem your laptop the site will have closed. You have no legal comeback whatsoever, most are run on hacked or proxied Russian servers, which are well out of the reach of UK or US Jurisdiction. In other words the owners of them are untraceable, even if anybody cared.

Not a bad scam...lets say they "recruit" 2000 people, each person visits 3 sites (all owned by the same person). Thats 6000 clicks per week at 5 cents, total $300 for doing bugger all, plus any registration fee you paid for taking part!. By the time you and everybody else has reached 140 credits the sites are all giving a 404 error, their affiliate (often innocent, legit banner exhannge companies) have paid up for generating the visitor traffic (You), and the only person to make a profit is the bloke who ran the scam.

Believe me, the internet is full of them and i've heard every one of 'em. If I wasn't so honest, i'd be doing it myself.

theres one for the mobile phones too! basically for those who dont know u pay ur fee then u are put into a big list with others that want the particular phone!! evertime a new person comes onto the same phone list u move down the list!! problem is the list could be 50 people and u dont know how long it will take but it does work

Sorry Rick, these are MLM scams. Just a re-hashed version of the "Send £1 to everybody in the list and get £250,000 back" in 6 months. They don't work!. The only way of getting something is to buy it or win it in a competition.

Ebay Scams, MLM, Chain Letters, Abdul Azaar from Outer Mongolia wanting to bank his $7million in gold bullion with you, Earn whilst you surf, etc etc are all a waste of time and generated with one goal - to part YOU from YOUR money, or spend a lot of time clicking links to make other peoples' profits!.

I'm banking US$20m for The Crown Prince Of Nigeria, and he has promised me half !! so I don't need to buy second hand gear !!

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

• 4 years later...

The BBC did a program about these kind of offers, and they worked and they did get the things in the end.

You just have to make shure you cancel your credit card paying out to the companies before the next month,

If you do decide to, get a another credit card to pay less risk.

Edited by Llyr Roberts