Dj's United

Hi folks

Got a question regarding ADSL filters and didn't want it getting lost in the off-topic section http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

We've just got broadband!!!!! at long last!!!!!! goes live tomorrow.

However me and my g/f are in disagreement about where you need to place your filters.

Our house has several telephone points hard-wired around the house, we only use 3 sockets.

1. Downstairs for the main telephone.

2. Downstairs for the satellite.

3. Upstairs for dial-up modem.

Baring in mind we won't be using the dial-up modem after tomorrow, hopefully, My understanding is you only need filters on the sockets that are being used for something other than broadband i.e. our upstair socket doesn't need a filter on it as that will be used for the ADSL modem alone.

Am I right or does this also need a filter?

Thanks folks.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

all sockets which are on a broadband line require a filter since it seperates the voice from the data, your modem will still need one to seperate the data only to the modem

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

If all the ADSL filters are Standard (a damgerous assumption of professionalism within the ISP/communication industry), then you will need a filter on the ADSL modem too.

The filters, at least the ones I've got, have two output sockets, one is labelled "Phone" the other ADSL.

Two other points to remember...

*) Not all telephone extension leads are ADSL compatible...voice only needs the extension lead to have cheapo 4 wire lead. Whereas (i think) broadband utilises all 6 wires. I had great, confusing, fun with a 4 wire extension lead, coz a leads a lead, right...? Doh!

*) If you have SKY or SKY+, that will need a filter to, as will any humble extension ringers, telephone answering machines, fax machines and fax switchers..etc etc..

QUOTE (Gary @ May 13 2004, 09:17 AM)
If all the ADSL filters are Standard (a dangerous assumption of professionalism within the ISP/communication industry)

Not just that industry!!

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/071.gif

Ah true, so true....

Just consider the term "Phono input" or "Phono Plug" for example... these little connectors are used less and less for actually connecting a Phonogram (vinyl record deck), yet the term covers all manner of non-vinyl playing devices, eg: CD players, video inputs etc...